Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Steel Target

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

From another thread where poulo was talking about the deer silhouette target he made, I was considering doing something similar for myself this year, but rather than a full silhouette, for transport purposes, I could try make a hanging gong, the size of a deer's vitals, to get used to breaking practical shots rather than getting hung up on overly precise placement. Anyone any input on what steel I should use, where to get it and how to go about constructing it, anything I should know in order to make it safe and avoid ricochets and the like? Cheers lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

what calibre rifle will you be using on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

rowa wrote: »
    what calibre rifle will you be using on it ?

.25-06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i made a steel handgun target for the club , i made the plates out of mild steel as it was available easily and even centrefire rounds aren't hugely powerful , i did find a supplier of armour steel and though its more expensive it will stand up to the battering much better , they can plasma cut it to size/shape and courier it to you , i'll see if i can find their details .
    a steel target should also lean forwards toward the shooter by a fair bit 20 degrees or more so they deflect the bullet/fragment into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

car flywheels are brilliant big diesel ones are the best
    cheap as chips and they are tapped to hold on the pressure plate so you have fastening points
    only down side is the have a hole in the centre ;)
    i use v8 rover ones they stand up to most things even at fairly close range

• Advertisement
Advertisement