Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorbike for a liscence

• 06-03-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

jsut wondering could people give me some types of 250cc bike in the a liscence class for a learner? im a bit big for a 125 and speed isnt an issue (driven bikes for a long time and seen it go wrong at speed) but im not into the kymko's or the sort ,just mainstreem know producers
    thanks
    derek

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'd recommend you try the motorbike forum, those guys know their stuff about bikes!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

What type of bike do you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

It would depend on a few different factors.

Insurance cost.
    Height,rider and seat,.
    Comfort.
    Cruiser,commuter,bmx type,sport bike,scooter.
    Cost of running.
    etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

im more into the cruiser kind of bike but i like naked bike's like the hornets or cb400
    im over 6' so all the little 125 "superbikes" are out of rule,way too small and lack comfort for me,running cost isnt an issue and insurance seems to be the same +/- 100e on most of the bikes iv been looking at,iv fallen for the virago's and dragstars,found a very cheap 125 dragstar but im thinking it could be a bit underpowered for someone of my size,but at the same time im thinking about starting out driving first time( a bike on the road that is,plenty of off road experience but a different world) and dont want something too heavy incase something does happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dbmauser wrote: »
    im more into the cruiser kind of bike but i like naked bike's like the hornets or cb400
    im over 6' so all the little 125 "superbikes" are out of rule,way too small and lack comfort for me,running cost isnt an issue and insurance seems to be the same +/- 100e on most of the bikes iv been looking at,iv fallen for the virago's and dragstars,found a very cheap 125 dragstar but im thinking it could be a bit underpowered for someone of my size,but at the same time im thinking about starting out driving first time( a bike on the road that is,plenty of off road experience but a different world) and dont want something too heavy incase something does happen

Most of the 125 cruisers have low seats. You'd really want to head into a bile shop with a good selection of bikes and sit on them too see how you fit.

Better off going for a 250+ if insurance isn't too much, at least then you can do your test on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 skippergonzo

a 125 will put you on a lesser licience so if you qualify on one you will still have to start all over again for a full A licience...here ya go
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1952743

a 125 will put you on a lesser licience so if you qualify on one you will still have to start all over again for a full A licience...here ya go
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1952743

thanks,i was looking at this and like it alot,looks like a comfortable enough bike too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Why are you limiting yourself to a 250, most are tiny. You can drive what you want providing its restricted.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Why are you limiting yourself to a 250, most are tiny. You can drive what you want providing its restricted.

and the price of most 125-250's is ridiculous too,looking at the likers of fazers and deauville's.

anyone an idea of how much restricting costs? im imagining carbed bikes would be cheaper to restrict than efi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

and the price of most 125-250's is ridiculous too,looking at the likers of fazers and deauville's.

anyone an idea of how much restricting costs? im imagining carbed bikes would be cheaper to restrict than efi?

My missus paid 300 to restrict a Hornet 600 (carbed) bike recently.

was expecting around that,thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Nearly all the kits are supplied by FI International and they are all around €250 - €300 for fitting and the, most important part, cert. The price of the restriction isn't for the restrictor, mine was 50mm piece of metal, but for being able to do it without totally ruining the bike.

Some bikes can be restricted by changing the ECU, but you can run into problems doing this.

Advertisement