Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't view devices on second router

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have an Edimax BR6226n as my main router in the house.

My xbox is not too far away from the router, but at the same time too far to run cables to, so I aquired a D-link dir 300 router in place of a wireless adapter for the xbox.

I've joined both routers wirelessly, connected the d link to the xbox via ethernet cable, and can connect to xbox live perfectly, while the d link sits behind the tv and saves running cables. Job sorted ! Or so I thought.

I can't view my xbox from my laptop. It doesnt seem to be on the same network. I want to be able to stream across music and videos, but the second router just doesnt show up.

Just some extra info. The main routers IP is 192.168.1.1
    The second routers IP is 192.168.1.2
    The xbox is assiging itself an IP address of 192.168.1.127

If I try to ping either the second router or the xbox I get no response at all.
    Any ideas how I could resolve this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

I've figured this out. I'm using the DD-WRT firmware on the D-Link router.
    I was connecting both routers in Client mode. This does not allow computers on different routers to connect to each other. I need to use Client bridge mode, which isnt available in the firmware for my router.

My only other option is to use Repeater Bridge mode. But am having awful hassle connecting like this, even after going through the step by step on the website. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ddwrt definitely does wireless bridge:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

I got there, following this guys guide :http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72478&highlight=repeater+bridge+atheros

Slightly different from the one I was following originally.

My only problem now is that If I try stream to the xbox via laptop while close to the second router all is fine. But if I'm further away (which ideally I want to be) the xbox wont connect to the laptop, even though all devices are connected on the same network with strong signals.
    I think with the method I used from the link above, because both routers are now using the same SSID, the laptop will connect to whichever router it is getting the strongest signal from.

I'll try and resolve this tomorrow as I've spent enough time on it today ! I'll post any results just in case anyone else trys something like this in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Make sure both are on completely different wireless channels, use 1 and 11

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Make sure both are on completely different wireless channels, use 1 and 11

All the guides I read, they both needed to be on the same channel to work. Just tried it there anyway, and they stopped talking to each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement