Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper One

• 06-03-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

In English Paper One, in the part Bs or Composing section, if you're askied to write a practical guide (like in last year's LC,
    "Write a practical Guide for Young People containing helpful advice and useful
    information for life after school.",
    Is it okay to write a humourous article, or does the work 'practical' restrict you?
    Thanks for any feedback :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

No, you are totally free to make it funny and witty. Most teachers advise to make it funny, and I saw it in 'The Written Word' too, so it must be true! :cool: so I don't think that the word practical would make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Thanks! My teacher does advise us to use humor, but she's just gone on maternity leave so I forgot to ask her about if it could be applied there. Delighted about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It can be practical and humourous at the same time, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Believe me, when correctors are wading through hundreds of papers in a couple of weeks and their brains are slowly frying, a bit of *appropriate* humour won't lose you marks!!

Advertisement