Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New runner's 1st log

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I've been running only a week so far and I'm really enjoying it. So I thought I'd start myself a log to keep motivated.

My stats are: female, 30 yrs old, 8st 11lbs. I love walking but never ran before so its all new. I started running only a week ago today, and I have run 1.5k every second day so far. I walk on the days in between and some times also walk the dogs on run days.

My aims: to be able to run 5k in 8 weeks. I will be running every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I will add .5k each week. I MIGHT do the SPAR & Ray for 5k thingy but its in April and I'll only be up to 4k by then so I'll have to see how I'm doing.

I am very unfit so I hope I'm not aiming too high too soon. I can just about manage the 1.5k. Fingers crossed I'll be able for the 2k on Tuesday. Yesterday and today as I walked back the 1.5k I actually ran the last .5k but I'm not counting this as a 2k run as there was a break in between. Maybe this could be something I can do at the wknd runs to prepare myself for the extra .5k in the next week.

Anyway this is just the beginning, hopefully I'll have lots to report here over the coming months :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could try just increasing the distance on one run a week for a while.
    eg, Tuesday, Thurs, Sat - 1.5k Sunday 2k
    Tuesday, Thurs, Sat - 1.5k Sunday 2.5k
    and then bump up one midweek run
    Tues 1.5 Thurs 2k Sat 1.5 Sunday 2.5
    Tues 1.5 Thurs 2k Sat 1.5 Sunday 3
    Tues 1.5 Thurs 2.5k Sat 1.5 Sunday 3

Or just follow a couch25k plan, like the people in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Hi, thanks for the advice. I'll see how my plan works out this week and if its too much too soon I might change to the c25k plan alright or maybe even something along the lines of what you suggested, either way I wont give up. I'm feeling positive at the moment anyway so fingers crossed eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

It's good that you have the determination from the beginning but that you also understand that you're not going to be able to run 5k over night. You may have off days where it just seems too hard but keep positive and tell yourself you'll get it next time.

Keep going at a steady pace and you'll get there. Who knows, you might just find yourself running the women's mini marathon in June!

Thanks bambera, sure you never know I might ha ha.

Did a 3k walk this evening. Looking forward to my first 2k run tomorrow, will post with my progress.

Headed out this evening to start the second week of my training plan, 2k without stopping. I am pleased to report that I did it!!! My time was 12m 39s, although I'm not bothered about my times just yet. I'm just delighted that I could actually run the 2k. Yay :D

• Advertisement

I ran the 2k again this evening, am pleased to say I found it ok. I wasn't gasping for breath like I was on previous times. Time 12m 14. I dont think I could have continued for much longer without stopping but when I walked for a min I felt like I could have picked up again for a bit. I think I could push myself a bit more so after the next run I will walk for a min or two and then add another k on and see how that goes.
    I'm delighted to find a back ache I was suffering from over the last few weeks is gone since starting this programme, that alone makes it worth the effort!!

Tonight I ran 2.2k, walked for 2 mins and ran again for another 1.6k then walked the last bit home.
    Delighted with my run as when I left I didnt feel great, the baby was crying and acting up before I left him in his nana's so it kind of put me off. I didnt think I'd even complete my target of 2k so I'm delighted I did and even added on 1.6k, sure I was grand once I got going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Eyeore wrote: »
    Tonight I ran 2.2k, walked for 2 mins and ran again for another 1.6k then walked the last bit home.
    Delighted with my run as when I left I didnt feel great, the baby was crying and acting up before I left him in his nana's so it kind of put me off. I didnt think I'd even complete my target of 2k so I'm delighted I did and even added on 1.6k, sure I was grand once I got going :)

And its days like this that will make you love running!

Sure soon you'll be banging this 3.6k out 2/3 times a week, waiting for your 'actual long run' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

well done making great progress :D

Well I couldnt go out for any run last night, I had my gear on and was ready to head out but my husband was working late and J's Nana wasn't at home when we called, I was so disappointed to miss it, it really put me in bad humour as on days like these I dont get a minute to myself. We took the dogs out but still no sign of Nana when we got back. Gutted! :mad:

Tonight was supposed to be a rest night but I opted to do last nights run instead. Hubby working away again but nana was at home so off J went for a visit.
    I ran 3k without stopping, I was THRILLED to say the least!! Had to stop then though, did some stretches and carried on walking. Ran another short .5k before walking up the hill home. Delighted with tonights run, its the farthest I ever ran in my whole life and I felt great after it :D

Tomorrow I'll be starting week 3, my target was ment to be 2.5k but I will skip a week ahead and make it 3k instead as I feel I can do it.

• Advertisement

Again couldn't go out Tues or Wed so I headed out today as soon as I got the chance.
    I did 4k in 25 mins. I was aiming for 3k but felt like I could keep going so I did...delighted I managed the 4k.
    Hoping to still do my 4 runs this week with a new target of 4k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done eyeore, you are making very quick progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Scibelle

That's fantastic Eyeore! Really well done! Keep up the good work :D

Earlier this avo I was looking out at the rain and wondering "will I?" or "wont I?"...I finallly decided if I let the rain put me off today well then I might as well give up altogether so off I headed with a grumpy face :mad: and sure it wasnt that bad, I'm used to walking in the rain with the dogs anyway and tbh I didnt even notice it once I got going!

I did a good 4k run in the end, took me 25mins, then I walked for 2 mins and then ran up the hill home which is just under .5k. Delighted with my progress!! Woohoo :)

4k in 26 mins. Did the exact same run today as I did yesterday, took me a minute longer though and I was fairly wrecked during it. The bottle of wine I drank last night probably didnt help and neither did the 6.30am rise...why dont babies know when its the weekend and Mammy needs sleep!!! Legs feel tired now and so do I...

Well week 4 was a disaster, I only got to go running one day. Did 4k in 25mins and that was all I got in. Not by choice, my husband is working all sorts of hours at the moment and it prevented me getting out.
    Will repeat week 4 this week instead...

Headed out this evening and did 4k with no problems, am delighted as I had such a poor week last week I thought I would find it hard tonight. Delighted to be feeling back on track this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Looks like you're making great progress. Well done! All about persistence. In my opinion anyway!

Last night I completed week 4 run 2, I found it very hard but managed to increase it to 4.5k all the same. Time was 27 mins, I swear I could walk it faster but hey thats not the point :P at least I kept going!

Didnt go for any run yesterday, but I have started doing a stretch and strength workout (if you can call it that) on my days off so I did some of that.

Today I did a 4k run. I had breakfast around 10.30am and headed out for my run at 1pm, I thought I had left plenty of time in between but I only bearly managed the 4k. I was hoping I could stretch it to 4.5k today but I honestly thought I was going to vomit so pushed on till 4k and stopped then!! Did I not leave enough time after food? I thought two and a half hours would be plenty...

I decided not to do the race on Tuesday, I dont think I'm ready for it and I think if I do it and cant complete the whole thing I will be disappointed and therefore might give up the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Keep up the good work Eyeore! I definately think you should do the 5k race - you're running very close to that distance anyway and the atmosphere on the day would help you keep going. I didn't think I could do my first one but I'm glad I did it. Even though my time wasn't very fast it was definately worthwhile. Signing up for races (even though I'm so slow) is keeping me motivated to stay running during the week and the race times are giving me goals to beat in my next race.

Thanks Scibelle but I haven't organized time off work so even if I changed my mind I cant do it now anyway. I think I will aim for the Stride by the Tide in Youghal next month. Its 4 miles and I have plenty of time to prepare for it.

On another note the inside of my right knee is hurting slightly since my run yesterday, we went for a walk with the dogs later on and it was quite sore especially going up the hill. I hope its not going to be anything that will trouble me, I will have to keep an eye on it.

Just checked out the date for Stride by the Tide and its actually the 26th of this month :P

I am disappointed to say I fell off the wagon there for over a week and didnt manage to do any run, it was a mixture of things but mainly due to lack of motivation. My toddler is teething and waking up twice every night and the sleepless nights are making me so tired and cranky that I totally lost my motivation to get out....:mad:

Anyway I went out tonight and didnt do too bad so hopefully I'll get back into it easy enough. I did 3 miles in 30 min, I was pretty pleased with it although I had to walk at 18mins for 1 min, my right knee was paining me so I had to stop and walk. I think 3 miles is around 4.8km so this is the furthest distance I have run yet. Not sure what to do about this pain I keep getting in my right knee though...hopefully its just my joints adjusting to the extra pounding that they are getting and will sort itself out soon.

Week 6 Run 2
    I picked a different route today for a change, it included two hills :eek: I ran it without any problem. It took me 26mins exactly. I think it was around 4km. I will clock it tomorrow to see exactly how far it is. I'm delighted I didnt have to walk the hills :D
    My knee is still niggling a little bit but doesnt seem as sore as it was on the last two runs, hopefully it's resolving itself.

Eyeore - you're doing great! Keep up the good work :D

I am thrilled to have finally completed a full 5k!! It took me 30 mins 41 seconds. I really enjoyed tonights run, picked a quiet route and brought the dogs along with me and it was great, will definately bring them again. I am thrilled I managed the full 5k, I even hit my target a week early :)

Advertisement