Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural survey query

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but what is the difference between a quantity surveyor and a structural engineer coming out to see a house I may be buying? I rang a quantity surveyor (and family friend) and he said he could come out to see the house and then say whether or not a structural engineer needed to come out. The bank doesn't require I get this but suggested I get it done for my own peace of mind and I just want to be clear on what I actually need!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

A quantity surveyor with experience in surveying buildings should be fine to do a preliminary check of a house. A structural engineer could be called in if the QS is concerned, but it is possible that the QS could miss something. An architect can also do a good job of surveying, but their results/observations will be based on their knowledge of the building fabric.

Check the drains, attic space, bounce on the floors, cracks in the walls (move furniture) any damp spots. If you are still concerned get an engineer to have a look. Depending on where you are a survey costs about 350e for a full report with photos and recommendations.

An architect is handy when buying because they see how the space could be used, how light will effect each space. Alot of the comfort issues.

I'm a structural engineer and i would definitely ask an architectural colleague to view a house for me before i buy, and i would check the rest myself.

shinnerssc wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but what is the difference between a quantity surveyor and a structural engineer coming out to see a house I may be buying? I rang a quantity surveyor (and family friend) and he said he could come out to see the house and then say whether or not a structural engineer needed to come out. The bank doesn't require I get this but suggested I get it done for my own peace of mind and I just want to be clear on what I actually need!

Advertisement