Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do keepers get so much protection?

• 06-03-2011 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the highlights of the Wolves - Spurs game from today, yet another case of a keeper getting a slight touch and getting a free-kick straight away. Its happening all to regularly, can someone explain why they get special treatment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Leave us keepers alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Wont someone think of the KEEPERS?!

cevallos446ap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

I totally agree with you. The referees do over-protect them. Anytime a player comes into contact with a goalie now and its a free out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Wont someone think of the KEEPERS?!

cevallos446ap.jpg

Mido crying because he was put in goal again.

If refs were to allow aerial challenges with contact on keepers then where is the line? Its easier to award free kicks to the keeper if there is contact rather than not knowing how much contact is allowed - this would lead to inconsistent refereeing with regards this point. Im not sure if my point is clear, iv had a few!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think it goes back to the play ground were the nerdy weak kids would be the ones made play in goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I think it would be something to do with the potential damage that can be done if someone is tackled in the air. Just look at rugby you're not allowed tackle in the air. Although some decisions are very soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The one wiith Gomes yesterday was one of teh worst I've seen. Gomes was so busy fouling the Wolves player that he threw the ball into his own net.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd assume it's just so hard to tell at times if it's the keeper jumping into the player or vice versa with 5+ players going in for a high ball, that it's just easier to give a free out 90% of the time. Yesterday's was definitely not a foul, and Spurs are bloody lucky to have gotten it disallowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It is getting a tad bit ridiculous at this stage.

I played in goal for a number of years at schoolboy and it was about protection. Jumping for a cross or corner I'm essentially leaving my body exposed to elbows or collisons.

It was regularly the case that in a busy box, an elbow, pruposefully or accidently would clatter into me skewing my ability to catch the ball.

As things got less "rough" it got more tactical, players standing in the way or jumping into me, still skewing me off balance, its dangerous I guess in terms of landing awkwardly. But the protection premiership keeprs get is outragous, in the instance with Gomes, it was simply the keeper making a hash of things.

Although I remember being taught that when catching a ball from the air to bring my knee up to my chest as far as I could. Provides proteciton from a clatter, and also as a striker, are you going to run into a Knee? :)

Still see the goalies doing it today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Hoki wrote: »
    If refs were to allow aerial challenges with contact on keepers then where is the line?

the exact same line there is for outfield players in aerial challenges :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It is a bit ridiculous alright (although I was glad the goal was disallowed) but I think it's improving compared to what it was 4 or 5 years ago (isolated incidents aside).
    I remember Arsenal against Charlton at the Valley a good few years ago. Charlton took a corner and Jens Lehmann literally grabbed a Charlton player standing in front of him around the neck and flung him into the net. Ref still gave a free out :confused: That was the worst of the worst I've seen when it comes to overprotecting keepers.

Advertisement