Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

Brilliant picture of Kelly and Usain Bolt on the back the Indo today :p
    This one is off a Jamaican website:
    HurlingA20100108RM.jpg

Does anyone know what time and where the Waterford Crystal match is being played on sunday?

Comments

HurlingA20100108RM.jpg

Usain Bolts got electric pace. Brendan Maher will invade your space, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

That's a funny shot of Usain Bolt wearing a Tipp jersey:D

John Tennyson would have his work cut out trying to stay with him, never mind Lar Corbett!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

The Tipperary SH team to play WIT in the Waterford Crystal Tournament this Sunday January 16th at 2pm in Clonmel Sportsfield is as follows; (Referee Jason O'Mahony, Limerick)

Hurling team:
    1. Darren Gleeson (Portroe)
    2. Conor O' Brien (Eire Óg Anacarthy)
    3. John Coughlan (Moyne Templetuohy)
    4. Eddie Connolly (Loughmore Castleiney)
    5. David Young (Toomevara)
    6. Conor O'Mahony (Newport)
    7. Hugh Moloney (Nenagh Eire Óg)
    8. Sean Carey (Moyle Rovers)
    9. Michael Gleeson (Thurles Sarsfields)
    10. Jody Brennan (Upperchurch-Drombane)
    11. Paddy Fanning (Moneygall)
    12. Daragh Hickey (Boherlahan-Dualla)
    13. John O'Neill (Clonoulty-Rossmore)
    14. Dara Egan (Kildangan)
    15. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)

16. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
    17. James Woodlock (Drom & Inch)
    18. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry)
    19. Stephen Lillis (Thurles Sarsfields)
    20. Timmy Dalton (Aravale Rovers)
    21. John O'Dwyer (Killenaule)
    22. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
    23. Benny Dunne (Toomevara)
    24. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
    25. Paul Kelly (Mullinahone)
    26. Pat Kerwick (Killenaule)

Team Mentors
    Manager: Declan Ryan (Clonoulty-Rossmore)
    Coach: Tomás Dunne (Toomevara)
    Selector: Michael Gleeson (Thurles Sarsfields)

Trainer: Cian O'Neill (Moorefield)

Football team:

1 Paul Fitzgerald Fethard
    2 David Buckley Inane Rovers
    3 Paddy Codd Killeneule
    4 Andrew Morrissey Galtee Rovers
    5 Ciaran McGrath Loughmore/Castliney
    6 Lorcan Egan JK Brackens
    7 Cathal Dillon Aherlow
    8 George Hannigan Shannon Rovers
    9 Brian Jones Arravale Rovers
    10 Peter Acheson Moyle Rovers
    11 Seamus Grogan Aherlow
    12 Brian Mulvihall Moyle Rovers
    13 James Egan Loughmore/Castliney
    14 Stephen Hahessy Carrick Swans
    15 Barry Grogan Aherlow
    16 Ciaran Kenderick Moyle Rovers
    17 Niall Curran Mullinhone
    18 Darragh Dwyer Moyle Rovers
    19 Donal Lynch Clonmel Commercials
    20 Alan Rockett Carrick Swans
    21 Aldo Matassa Clonmel Commercials
    22 Brian Coen Fethard
    23 Conor Sweeney Ballyporeen
    24 Johnny Cagney Clonmel Óg

P.s. Skoda are apparently the new Tipp sponsors. I kid you not!

looder wrote: »

P.s. Skoda are apparently the new Tipp sponsors. I kid you not!

that's funny, in marketing class in college before xmas we were studying the evolution of Skoda's advertising over the last few years and how they went from being perceived as a poorly built Eastern European make to one of the competitive players in the car industry.

The crowning jewel for them is that the Blue and Gold now see fit to put the name on the shirt.

Will be interesting to see how today's teams fair. Robbie Costigan loss a blow to the footballers. A great stalwart and servant he has been over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

tipp beaten by one according to rte website.. any reports lads?

• Advertisement

Will23 wrote: »
    tipp beaten by one according to rte website.. any reports lads?

yep by one. would like to have seen tipp get at least one more run out before the league but there you go.

very enjoyable game and few good performances on show. Don't know exact scorers. also worth bearing in mind that WIT full forward line were all tipp men. Hammersley, Michael Sheedy (Relation to Liam?), and Ray Mcloughney.
    Brian Meara was no 11 for the WIT.

Kieran Hammersley, Tommy Kavanagh and Matt O'Donnell (tipp football gk) were on the bench.

Liam Tierney made 3 fantastic saves it has to be said for the WIT.

EDIT: 'Tiobraid Árann' was on the Tipp shirts in the gold band today. looked class. Pity its only an interim version. Wonder would shops stock sponsorless versions of the shirt?

yep by one. would like to have seen tipp get at least one more run out before the league but there you go.

very enjoyable game and few good performances on show. Don't know exact scorers. also worth bearing in mind that WIT full forward line were all tipp men. Hammersley, Michael Sheedy (Relation to Liam?), and Ray Mcloughney.
    Brian Meara was no 11 for the WIT.

Kieran Hammersley, Tommy Kavanagh and Matt O'Donnell (tipp football gk) were on the bench.

Liam Tierney made 3 fantastic saves it has to be said for the WIT.

EDIT: 'Tiobraid Árann' was on the Tipp shirts in the gold band today. looked class. Pity its only an interim version. Wonder would shops stock sponsorless versions of the shirt?

Good ending to the game today.

Best for Tipp were (in my opinion):

Darren Gleeson

Stevie Lillis and James Woodlock (both second half subs)

John O' Neill

Sean Carey also tried hard.

A couple of debutants struggled. Eddie Connolly wasn't great, either was Micky Gleeson and Bubbles Dwyer didn't really get into it when he cam on either. Paddy Fanning was very poor and Dara Egan and Jody Brennan was poor in general but had one or two good moments. Gar Ryan was also poor when introduced. It's early in the year yet so I wouldn't write any of these off.

RE the Tipp boys on the WIT team:

Ray Mac went back corner back and hurled well back there. Timmy got a goal and a few points but Buggy was probably the most dangerous of the Tipp men when he wet in full forward.

Mike Sheedy is a nephew of Liam. Good hurler!

Kieran Hammersley is a cousin of Timmy as far as I know (They're definitely related anyway). Matthew O' Donnell would be third choice keeper with WIT, behind Adrian Power (who is recovering from injury) and Liam Tierney (who in my opinion should be number 1, not only on the WIT team but also on the Kilkenny team. He's from the Rower Inistiogue club).

Noel Conners from Waterford and Buggy were probably the best on show from WIT. John Mulhall came on wearing number 25 and played well enough. Stephen Power from Waterford after coming on and Timmy had to go off injured and he scored the winning free and had a bit of a scuffle with David Young also.

The Tipp sponsor looked very nice alright but I doubt Skoda will allow Tipp to sell a sponsor-less jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Entertaining enough game today pity we lost it in the end but WIT looked fitter and sharper than the Tipp lads,we went into a good early lead and were 1-6 to 0-2 up and it looked like there was only one team in it but WIT got stronger as the game went on and Tipp faded.Paddy Fanning looked good early on but went out of the game completely,I thought David Young done well at wing back and hopefully he can fill Fannings boots in that position.I'd say Timmy Hammersley scored about 1-10 for WIT so that's good news for us also,Darren Gleeson done a Brendan Commings and scored a point from his own 45 yard line.

tippspur wrote: »
    Darren Gleeson done a Brendan Commings and scored a point from his own 45 yard line.

Incredible, A Scoring Goalie.....Only in Tipp! :D

The team only back from holiday last week so ring rustiness allowed for, but Hammersley was on that holiday so big well done to him for that haul.

i think maybe we should change to the WIT colours if we planning on giving Timmy a run because they sure bring the best out in him.

thought if no sponsor had signed on the dotted line yet that them jerseys might be available in the interim but doubtful id say.

Tipp beat Wexford 4-21 to 1-14 in a challenge tonight.

They also beat Clarinbridge 2 days ago in Cloughjordan by 3-31 to 16 points.

Was in Templetouhy tonight for the game. The better performers would have been Pa and the Bonnar who was sensational.

• Advertisement

Tipp beat Wexford 4-21 to 1-14 in a challenge tonight.

They also beat Clarinbridge 2 days ago in Cloughjordan by 3-31 to 16 points.

Was in Templetouhy tonight for the game. The better performers would have been Pa and the Bonnar who was sensational.

thanks gunner,

was it a full-ish team? any word on when the squad will be reduced down/finalised? i take it declan and co. are still looking at options etc?

Will.

thanks gunner,

was it a full-ish team? any word on when the squad will be reduced down/finalised? i take it declan and co. are still looking at options etc?

Will.

It will be a while yet Will.

Pa, Bonnar, Curran, Cummins, Foxy, David Young, Benny (no 6), Shane McGrath, and Gar all started.

Bubbles(top of the right), John O'Neill (top of the left), Carey in the middle, John Coughlan no 4) and Stephen Lillis (no 7) came into the side and Paddy Fanning it must be said had a quiet game full forward but he deserves more time. i had one or two doubts about Michael Cahill prior to last Sept but the man was outstanding in the final and the u21 final. these players need time to learn and build confidence.

Shane Bourke, Dara Egan, Seanie Curran, and Timmy Dalton came on.

Alot of sh*t talk on PV on getting rid of certain players and i would agree with the ones who have been there a long time but one or two citing players who are just after getting on the panel and some who only came on to the panel last May. Personally i think they need more games in the league before we write them off.

thanks gunner, you're dead right, where would we be now if Liam hadn't given lads their chance either.

spot on comments.

Will.

Only 5 days to go to Tipp v the Cats. Eoin getting married day before. i really dont mind how we do in the league once we stay in the divison and stuff this lot.

We missing a few key players apart from Eoin. Larry, Callanan rumoured to have broke collar bone for LIT (can anyone confirm?), and probably one or two casualties from 'D'weddin'

Think the squad was trimmed a bit last week. Dunno yet who stayed or who went yet. Hopefully Eoin invites all of Kilkenny squad to this weddint and gets plenty of Sambuca in for them.

Up Tipp!

EDIT: Oh yes i nearly forgot, present for Diarmuid Kirwan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Ya Seamy Callinan is out for 6 weeks with shoulder injury.. If there's anytime of the year for it to happen this is it I suppose.. There should be enough cover in the squad.

I did hear Sean Carey made the final cut after last weeks trim, not sure about other names.

As for the wedding I doubt there'll be too much drinking by those who are involved on Saturday. There's no way Declan Ryan wants to take a hiding in his first competitive match as manager. Should be a competitive affair.

My hopes aren't too high for the match at the weekend.

Paul Kelly will surely be on the beer, as will Seanie Curran I'd imagine. Paul Curran, from what I've heard from lads around the panel wouldn't be one for a session so I'd say he'll be fresh as a daisy come Sunday (I'm nearly sure I heard he doesn't drink at all). I'd imagine the 24 named probably won't be on it but the rest will surely be.

Kelly would have went to LIT with a few of the KK boys so I'd say they'll be in attendance also, although I'd say they'll be under strict order to not drink.

Does anyone know anything about the following:
    Festy Kerwick - How's the groin injury healing? I've heard that it's a similar problem to Frank Lampard and they can't operate on it as it's got to do with the bone rather than the muscle or something.
    Brendan Maher- Has he played any of the challenges yet? Is he injured. I didn't see him training in Clonmel with the rest of the panel when Tipp were playing WIT.
    Stevie Lillis - Is it true he broke a bone in his hand?
    Lar - Any word on how long he'll be out for?

looder wrote: »
    My hopes aren't too high for the match at the weekend.

Paul Kelly will surely be on the beer, as will Seanie Curran I'd imagine. Paul Curran, from what I've heard from lads around the panel wouldn't be one for a session so I'd say he'll be fresh as a daisy come Sunday (I'm nearly sure I heard he doesn't drink at all). I'd imagine the 24 named probably won't be on it but the rest will surely be.

Kelly would have went to LIT with a few of the KK boys so I'd say they'll be in attendance also, although I'd say they'll be under strict order to not drink.

Does anyone know anything about the following:
    Festy Kerwick - How's the groin injury healing? I've heard that it's a similar problem to Frank Lampard and they can't operate on it as it's got to do with the bone rather than the muscle or something.
    Brendan Maher- Has he played any of the challenges yet? Is he injured. I didn't see him training in Clonmel with the rest of the panel when Tipp were playing WIT.
    Stevie Lillis - Is it true he broke a bone in his hand?
    Lar - Any word on how long he'll be out for?

It will have to be dodgy beef or chicken for the Kilkenny boys so.

Tippspur might get bad memories of 'lasagne-gate' flooding back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Is it on the box lads? Wont know till the weekend if I can go

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Is it on the box lads? Wont know till the weekend if I can go

Setanta Ireland are showing it. I Think Setanta are broadcasting it in HD too Ger. A bit of hurling broadcasting history being made i think?

It will have to be dodgy beef or chicken for the Kilkenny boys so.

Tippspur might get bad memories of 'lasagne-gate' flooding back ;)
    Jaysus don't remind me:(

• Advertisement

Tipperary Senior Hurling v Kilkenny Allianz Hurling League Div 1 Sat Feb 11

The Tipperary team to play Kilkenny in the first round of the Allianz Hurling League at Semple Stadium on Saturday evening shows 7 changes in personnel from the team which started against Kilkenny in last year’s All Ireland final. Darren Gleeson, Conor O’Brien, David Young, Hugh Maloney, Pa Bourke, John O’Neill and Timmy Hammersley all come into the side.

2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)
    3. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    4. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)
    6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport) Captain
    7. Hugh Maloney (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    8. Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh)
    9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
    10. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    11. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)
    12. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    13. John O’Neill (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    14. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)
    15. Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)

We have to start trying out replacements for Cummins sooner or later and I have every faith in Gleeson.

================================================

2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)

Good old reliable Paddy. You cant go wrong with the Saint.

3. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

What more can be said about this guy

4. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)

Bit worried about this guy at corner back. he has been tried and tested there before and i think he is shaky. keeping it warm for Michael Cahill or Curran no doubt

Class act but needs to curb his temper slightly

6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport) Captain

Loads of experience and will thrive with leadership role

7. Hugh Maloney (Nenagh Éire Óg)

Was a great no 7 at u21, but i'm not so sure this guy is up to senior county level. TJ Reid currently smacking his lips looking at the team sheet

8. Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh)
    9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

Need i say any more. Id trust them both to land a B52 let alone handle midfield

10. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)

Good work horse. if JJ is to catch ball he'll have to work his ass off to hold onto it

===============================================

11. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)

Can be dangerous but can be as lacklustre. Lacks bite.

12. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

I think we are ok with this guy too :)

13. John O’Neill (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    Highly rated young hurler. A big chance to show his mettle

14. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)

Could be a real threat at FF. Terrific young hurler. Will miss his work rate at wing fwd but think John Tennyson or whoever could have their work cut out

15. Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)

See Pa Bourke

dont want to be too negative as its only the start of the league but very disappointing lads.. awful game, and poor from us, very bad touch. deccie needs to get the lads up for the next few weeks now.

cmon tipp!

dont want to be too negative as its only the start of the league but very disappointing lads.. awful game, and poor from us, very bad touch. deccie needs to get the lads up for the next few weeks now.

cmon tipp!

Very poor no doubt. Still for what its worth Kilkenny were not their ruthless former selves considering they were against a very understrength Tipp team. the Kilkenny of 2 year ago would have walloped us out the gate on that performance. Brendan Maher injury a worry.

Very poor no doubt. Still for what its worth Kilkenny were not their ruthless former selves considering they were against a very understrength Tipp team. the Kilkenny of 2 year ago would have walloped us out the gate on that performance. Brendan Maher injury a worry.

ya was thinking about it again this morning (its funny the things you think about lying awake in the cot on a sunday morning eh:)) the amount of late hits on tipp last night was scandalous. and the ref didnt call it once.

if this is a taste of what's to come from kilkenny, and from the referees, for the year, there is gonna be a lot of frustration!

tommy walsh hasn't changes his stripes either eh!

but really what was most worrying is that nobody took their chance to break into the established team. there was no stand out player, and none of the young lads really made a statement to the management for inclusion come championship time.

next weekend, and our reaction against dublin will tell us a lot!

We went to sleep after 20 mins. They were tryin to say on telly that twas when Pa was moved in full that we stopped winning ball. Noel showed great skill at times, he has a real leaders presence, even at 20. Pity about the result but the better team by a mile won on the day.

Any word on B Maher? Jesus I hope it isnt serious. It would be bad if that happened the day James Woodlock came back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

The Club Fixtures/Results page on the Tipperary website is really annoying. They need to either sort it out or go back to the old one.

Very disapointing display last night,looked good for 20 mins and then caved in,we never got going once KK upped there game.things can only get better I suppose.

tippspur wrote: »
    Very disapointing display last night,looked good for 20 mins and then caved in,we never got going once KK upped there game.things can only get better I suppose.

and tis better to be sayin that in the first match of the league than the first round of the Munster! I wonder will Deccy experiment much for the league once he has the full squad together? I wouldnt mind seein Sheamus Hennessey start a few games, he was great at u 21 last year and got a great point when he came on in the final

• Advertisement

Having looked at highlights i am a bit more positive about the match.

We had two fantastic goal chances and of course McGrath went off injured after one of them, when he had the cheek to rap his forearm off Tommy's hurley while through on goal. Don't think i am suggesting for one minute that Tommy Walsh would ever do a thing like strike out. Perish that thought immediately. ;)

Another thing that stood out is that Tipp were not fresh. They are not long back in action and have only got 2 challenges in since the Waterford Crystal match. It can be said that despite the frailties that they had a proper go at Kilkenny but just tired. KK by no stretch of the imagination 'Put Tipp away' like their class of 2 year ago were doing in Nowlan Park.

Conditions were a major factor. Tipp play a running game but Semple despite being normally such a pristine field, it can only hold off the elements for so long during winter months

Dont forget Tipp lost to Dubllin by 10 points this time last year and of course we all know what happened after that. :)

Yes we all love beating the Cats supposing its an egg and spoon race but our second string might pick up something from playing such quality opposition.

Advertisement