Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Anyone know the background on this?
    Last year’s winners Carrick Swan were sensationally thrown out of the 2011 Tipperary South senior hurling championship last night and fined €3,000. The side have also been banned from taking part in this season’s county senior championship.

The club Swan failed to turn up for their semi-final replay against Mullinahone last weekend and were expelled by divisional board chiefs at a meeting last night.

Last weekend Swan sent an official statement to local radio station Tipp FM, saying that nine players were unavailable for the replay.

Tipperary county board PRO Ger Ryan confirmed last night: “Carrick Swan were thrown out of the South championship by the South board. They’re also thrown out of the county championship. They are seeking a hearing but we don’t know on what basis.”

Swan PRO Sean McDonnell commented: “We have an option to accept the judgment or go for a hearing and we have chosen to go to a hearing.”

“We have numerous players unavailable, primarily due to injury, illness and work commitments.

“And we have a number of players on holidays — nine players are unavailable for selection.”

McDonnell added that the Swan club had offered to replay the Mullinahone fixture next Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or on the Bank Holiday Monday.

He said: “We were of the opinion that there was no great need to play the South final in a hurry. It was played on the weekend of August 20 last year.

“The next phase is the hearings committee and depending on how that goes, the club will decide on the next course of action. But we would hope for a sympathetic hearing from the hearings committee.”

"players unavailable, primarily due to injury, illness and work commitments" I don't think there valid reason and if so how come there able to play a couple of days later

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shark7

Does this mean they are going to be relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

We might be getting too ahead of ourselves here. We certainly have what it takes to beat Dublin but i definitely think they deserve respect. Don't forget also it took us a while to get going against Clare. A better team might not let us back into the game as handy.
    Every game wont necessarily go the same as the Munster final. While we were awesome that day no doubt teams will have watched us closely. I hope we haven't shown our hand too early and if we do get past Dublin then more then likely opponents Kilkenny will be an altogether different prospect. Roles are reversed this year and they are the team gunning for revenge and we are the defending All Ireland champions.

Dublin in their own right are a very combative team and will be in our face from the whistle. Tipp will need to get be ready for a dogfight. Every game takes on a life of its own.

fully agree, couldn't have put it better myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Shark7 wrote: »

Good point!

Dymo wrote: »
    Anyone know the background on this?

"players unavailable, primarily due to injury, illness and work commitments" I don't think there valid reason and if so how come there able to play a couple of days later

Work commitments and injury i can understand but holidays or illness i would draw the line with. How long in advance do they know about semi final/final dates? If they didn't know in plenty of time then these things should be decided last winter by the south board.
    I do think however the Swan should be allowed fight for their senior status at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Shark7 wrote: »
    Good point!

No by getting to a South Semi you are exempt from relegation, I think they have given up on the South Championship, but Id expect then to be allowed back into the county.

No excuse for not fullfilling the fixture and they should be ashamed of themselves, they had over 30 lads togged for the drawn game, this weekend was pencilled in at the start of the year for the south final so they knew all the time, holidays my ar*e the reality is their best player and only hope of stopping Eoin Kelly was missing, quite an insult to the rest of the panel tbh, a nicce thanks for training all year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Work commitments and injury i can understand but holidays or illness i would draw the line with. How long in advance do they know about semi final/final dates? If they didn't know in plenty of time then these things should be decided last winter by the south board.
    I do think however the Swan should be allowed fight for their senior status at the very least.

They were available for, and played the semi-final. It was the replay that they weren't available for as those that booked holidays did it around the semi-finals which were the day of the double header.

They weren't expecting a replay to be the following week and said immediately that they wouldn't be available. Lots of discussion about it over on premierview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

the reality is their best player and only hope of stopping Eoin Kelly was missing,
    whos that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Carrickbhoy

tom thum wrote: »
    whos that then?

Gerry Walsh

Willie O'Dwyer from the Davins was called up to the Tipp panel today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Willie O'Dwyer from the Davins was called up to the Tipp panel today
    Gerry Walsh from the Swan is the man they should be calling up.

tippspur wrote: »
    Gerry Walsh from the Swan is the man they should be calling up.

True and Tipp are short of corner backs as backup i think if Saint or Mickey Cahill are out. O'Keeffe is better at wing back. Gerry definitely should be tried at the very least.

South Final is off this sunday

South Final is off this sunday

Looking good for the Swan so.

Looking good for the Swan so.
    Swan are back in there playing Mullinahone this sunday , why the south board let it drag on for this long is a joke they should of coming up with this decision last week

Swan are back in there playing Mullinahone this sunday , why the south board let it drag on for this long is a joke they should of coming up with this decision last week

Hold on a minute.. do you have a source for this?

Nothing from the Carrick lads on premierview about the semi being back on Sunday,only saying that the final is off so far.

I know i'm repeating myself, but imagine an all Carrick final. Thousands will come to Davin Park if they allow it to go ahead there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

H'on the Swan

Hold on a minute.. do you have a source for this?
    This is what we were told last night, subsequently it is wrong now we are being told the Swans appeal will be heard next wed night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Is premierview a good discussion board to join? You need to register and I'll probably just be having a look. It seems to be the go-to site for all things Tipperary Hurling related.

Is premierview a good discussion board to join? You need to register and I'll probably just be having a look. It seems to be the go-to site for all things Tipperary Hurling related.

It's a great site

The best.some serious hurling people on there,and a good bit of craic also.

I'm not the biggest fan of PV in all honesty and i think this thread has far more measured opinions on it overall then any thread on that.

Think they charge now by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

As a Dub exiled in Tipperary, I'd dearly love to see my home county get one over Tipp.

But I think Tipp are far too good a side to lose to Dublin

Meanwhile , the South Tipperary senior hurling championship final between Carrick Davins and Mullinahone, originally fixed for
    Clonmel next Sunday, has been called off following the expulsion of Carrick Swans from the competition . Holders Swans were thrown out of the divisional competition, and the county senior hurling championship by the South board last Monday night after failing to fulfil last Sunday's proposed semi -final replay against Mullinahone. Swans' case was due to be heard by the Tipperary County Board hearings committee during the week, but has
    been deferred until next Wednesday evening. Consequently, the South final has been shelved until a later date, pending the outcome. Swans pulled out of the Mullinahone replay fixture citing the absence of nine players for various reasons, including illness, injury and olidays. But the club was ejected from the divisional and county championships , while a efty fine of €3,000 was also imposed. But Swans will fight these sanctions tooth and nail , with club PRO Sean McDonnell stating yesterday: " We 're still of the view that we 'll efend or relinquish our (South) title on the playing field. "First of all we'll be heard by the county appeals committee and if you don't feel you get a fair hearing -- if they don' t accede to our request for the match to be played and the punishment the South board dished
    is not overturned - - we have the opportunity of appealing to the provincial Council.

source Independent :

Think they charge now by the way
    I think that's only a malicious rumor TG, PV has denied it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

tippspur wrote: »
    I think that's only a malicious rumor TG, PV has denied it anyway.

they didnt charge when i joined, although it can take a few weeks/months to get 'accepted'.. good site for keeping up with club games etc, and general word on the county teams, but as with all discussion boards has its fair share of idiots..

some learned folk there too though alright, but nothing we dont have here!!:)

• Advertisement

Will23 wrote: »
    they didnt charge when i joined, although it can take a few weeks/months to get 'accepted'..

It took me weeks before I was accepted to even look at posts, I know a couple of people from the KilkennyCats forum couldn't understand what the delay was.

Good site but the colours on the layout are dreadful but the best source of knowledge for Tipp Gaa

Advertisement