Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

:eek: How'd you manage that?
    You can only get them through a club,all the clubs get a certain amount of 10 euro tickets and if you have your name in on time you more than likely to get one,I got one for the All Ireland final last year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

It might be a bit late but if you arent a member of a club just ask a friend to get an extra €10 euro ticket for ya. Im a member and I often get them for a friend who isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Will there be many going of ye going up? A lot of people spouting shite that theyre saving their money for the final.

I can safely say I won't be going to either game unfortunately, for financial reasons it has been an expensive few months. But if I could only afford to go to one, I would take my chances of there being a final and hold out for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

What's the general feeling in the Premier County about the match? Do ye think Tipp will win? I live in Galway and I dont know too many fellow Tipp folk here, but I'm quietly confident that we'll be too good for Dublin over the full 70 minutes.

I think they will win over Dublin but I'd still like to see a good game of hurling on Sunday rather than a repeat of the Munster final

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

julyjane wrote: »
    I think they will win over Dublin but I'd still like to see a good game of hurling on Sunday rather than a repeat of the Munster final

I agree, I felt last Year after we Beat Galway by only a point in the quarters that gave us the strength to go on and beat Kilkenny in the final as it was such a tense close game.

I'm afraid if we absolutely wallop Dublin we will learn nothing from it and Kilkenny could end up capitalizing on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Jaysus lads, its Thursday in the week of a match day and its like we are not playing at all at the weekend. I suppose thats a good thing. Nice quiet build up. Any news from the camp? Do ye reckon they will line out the same as the Munster final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I would imagine Declan is considering where or whether Brenadan Maher will slot in. Having said that, I wouldnt be disappointed to see the same 15 line out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Have it on fairly reliable word that Brendan wont be starting on Sunday, team will be the same as last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jaysus lads, its Thursday in the week of a match day and its like we are not playing at all at the weekend. I suppose thats a good thing. Nice quiet build up. Any news from the camp? Do ye reckon they will line out the same as the Munster final?

There's not even a thread in the GAA forum! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Horgan wrote: »

We must be getting Kilkenny-itis :eek:

Premierview seems to be where all the talk is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Horgan wrote: »

I always wondered about that. Every other county in the land has their own thread but ours isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Team has been named;

Cummins
    Stapleton
    Curran
    Cahill
    O'Keefe
    O'Mahony
    P Maher
    Ryan
    S Mcgrath
    N Mcgrath
    Callanan
    P Maher
    Kelly
    O'Brien
    Corbett

No change from the Munster final which is no suprise. Not sure what the subs are but haven't heard of any injuries so i think we've a full squad available which is a major boost

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

Heard Cummins has taken a sliothar to the eye and it has closed up with swelling. Though they said it should be fine come Sunday.
    If true hope he will be ok for Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I would have liked to have seen Brendan Maher start but that team should be good enough to win it,best of luck to all of them....up the premier.....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

I'm not the biggest fan of PV in all honesty and i think this thread has far more measured opinions on it overall then any thread on that.

yes, but there is very little talk of club games on this thread.

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    yes, but there is very little talk of club games on this thread.

Very true. It is very good for discussion and information on club games and not just at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

All the players will have to be playing at their best, knowing Brendan could be brought on at any minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

For Declan Ryan it's probably a case of "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it". Plus, having the likes of Bourke, Maher, and Dunne come off the bench helps. Nice to see there's a bit of depth.

For Declan Ryan it's probably a case of "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it". Plus, having the likes of Bourke, Maher, and Dunne come off the bench helps. Nice to see there's a bit of depth.

I'd hope thats not the attitude in camp, we won't keep improving if we start thinking like that.
    As a massive fan of Brendan Maher i'd love to see him in the team but if he's not able to force his way into the team i'm delighted having a player of his caliber on the bench, shows how good a squad we have

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    I'd hope thats not the attitude in camp, we won't keep improving if we start thinking like that.
    As a massive fan of Brendan Maher i'd love to see him in the team but if he's not able to force his way into the team i'm delighted having a player of his caliber on the bench, shows how good a squad we have

I think what Reacher Creature really meant is that Ryan had a difficult choice to make in terms of dropping a player to accomodate Maher.

Do you drop John O'Keeffe who done very well the last day and has done very well at Wing back this year? Or do you drop Gearoid Ryan who has went back to midfield to fill the void Maher left when he was injured? If you dont drop either of the first two then you drop a wing forward like Callanan or Bonnar to put Gar at wing fwd and Brendan midfield. Who would drop industrious Bonnar or a scoring machine like Callanan in the form they are in?

While Maher is one of the best midfielders of his generation, nothing would justify dropping one of the players i mentioned at this point in time.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it' is certainly not complacency in the Tipp camp. Far from it in fact.
    It is showing faith in the players who have got you to this point in time. Giving them confidence. If Ryan was to drop O'Keeffe or Gar Ryan it could be more detrimental. He could end up losing the whole dressing room over it.

This however is an ideal situation. You have the starting 15 on their toes and they know that if they are not at their maximum best, Brendan Maher is waiting on the sideline to come in and take their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Right getting ready to hit the road now. The early morning rain is really playing into the hands of the Dubs and I doubt those odds of 10/1 will last for much longer.
    The more it rains the more this game turns into a slugfest and Dublin are a seriously fit team.
    I just hope Tipp are ready for an almighty battle. If we are we may win by four or five if we are not we may be up **** creek.

Heres hoping, UP THE PREMIER :pac:

Rain? I'm around the corner from Croke Park and there's no rain!

Oh..That rain!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Hopefullythat game would have given them a kick up the arse now. Way too complacent for my liking. But got the job done at the end of the day. I didnt think it would be as close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Good game to watch. Dublin hurled well but the last ten minutes which can be crucial, they fizzled a little. Tipperary weren't outstanding though. A lot of the game was in our defensive third but Stapleton, Curran, Cahill did a lot. Credit to Maher for a terrific shift. Must be the best half back in the country?

I was disappointed with the forward line at times. It seemed jumbled at times and fractured, but was fairly good throughout. Did enough to get the win.

Credit to Dublin, they played well and have been one of the big talking points of the season. Paul Ryan is a sensational player, Liam Rushe very good, and Peter Kelly is fine through the air. Daly did a good job, and probably a shoo-in for the Manager of the Year. Could be another force next year.

Highlight of the day was probably Noel McGrath's curling line ball for a point. Unreal spin on it.

Into the final now.

Experience and composure is what won it for us today in my opinion, our lads are comfortable on the big occassions and it showed today.
    In terms of the match the forwards never got to grip with the extra defender the dubs used, i'd wonder did they not practice it in training for the last few weeks.
    Fair play to the lads again today though, they're a credit to the county and play their hearts out, a real honest team.
    Plenty to work on for the final anyway which is exactly as we'd like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

As a Dub exiled in Thurles, I went to the game today and drove back to Thurles tonight.

Regarding the game, we gave everything. Tactically I thought we were excellent and the team played the tactic 100%.

Tipp were hardpressed to get the win in the end. So be it. Tipp are a fine side and on paper deserve the win.

Exchanged chat with the Tipp supporters at the game. Gentlemen to a fault.

Spent the evening with my wife in Kennedys pub in Thurles.
    Wearing my Arnotts embossed Dublin jersey, I experienced nothing but good chat and an honest assessment of the game.

Just want to thank the Tipp supporters for not rubbing it in. Great supporters, good chat and, dare I say, excellent supporters.
    A very good experience!

I hope Tipp go on to win the All Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

I too didn't think it would be such a close game, i kept expecting tipp to take off! They have a lot of work to do for the cats, they seemed to have no game plan yesterday and defo won't beat the cats playing like they did yesterday! Us Tipp supporters were glad of the win but would love too see them hammer Kilkenny again :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Wasnt really surprised that it was as close as it was. Thats Tipp for ya. Always doing it the hard way and the Munster Final apart never seem to know how to kill a team off.
    Some very good Tipp teams have failed to achieve there real potential because of this.

Everybody was predicting an easy win for Tipp and expected nothing from the Dubs. This is a recipe for disaster down in Tipp as they usually have the ability to self destruct.

In regards to the game Tipp defended very well and there attack was pretty poor for most of the game. This may be down to the extra man Dublin had covering back but from what i could see it was the result of poor ball going into our forward line.
    Too many times our half back line (even Maher) and midfield persisted on hitting high balls right into the Dublin Full back and centre back. We dont really have a target man in the attack and would have been much better off letting in the ball low. There also seemed to be a lack of width, not sure what the reason for this is but i presume its the result of players constantly roaming and changing positions.

Perfect semi final in some ways as Tipp will have alot to work on to be competitive in the final. Hard 2 weeks training lads.

Advertisement