Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm crushed. Crushed for the lads. They put in a sterling shift, in the second half especially. It was great to see them fight tooth and nail for everything.

Kilkenny's aerial assault in the first half was devastating, they won everything. We fired back down the field but Tyrell, Hogan, Delaney, Murphy all scooped everything up with glee. Our forwards were swamped.

The second half should've brought a change. Passes down field should have been reigned in and allow sensible distribution. Look at Noel McGrath's point in the second half, right down the middle. Excellent build up play made that happen. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but the long pucks down the field do not work every time.

Pauric Maher, Micheal Cahill, Patrick Maher for me worked very hard, but it was a team effort. Poor John O' Keeffe had a terror of a time in places.

Fair play to Kilkenny, it pains me to say that so soon but they were the better team. It was an excellent, exciting campaign, just a pity it had to end like this.

Well done lads, the county's mighty proud!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

+1

I'm crushed. Crushed for the lads. They put in a sterling shift, in the second half especially. It was great to see them fight tooth and nail for everything.

Kilkenny's aerial assault in the first half was devastating, they won everything. We fired back down the field but Tyrell, Hogan, Delaney, Murphy all scooped everything up with glee. Our forwards were swamped.

The second half should've brought a change. Passes down field should have been reigned in and allow sensible distribution. Look at Noel McGrath's point in the second half, right down the middle. Excellent build up play made that happen. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but the long pucks down the field do not work every time.

Pauric Maher, Micheal Cahill, Patrick Maher for me worked very hard, but it was a team effort. Poor John O' Keeffe had a terror of a time in places.

Fair play to Kilkenny, it pains me to say that so soon but they were the better team. It was an excellent, exciting campaign, just a pity it had to end like this.

Couldnt have said it better myself lad. Heartbreaking stuff but we'll be back. Number 27 will just have to be 12 months late.

HON TIPP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I thought several Tipperary players "went missing" today for whatever reason.
    Whether they were not allowed to play or simply did not deliver is debatable.

It was a poor performance by Tipp.

hinault wrote: »

"Poor" is very harsh.

We lost by four points, to the best team of hurlers on the planet. We weren't walloped, destroyed, hammered or slaughtered, just closely beaten.

Did you watch the second half? Tipperary were shattered by the 40th minute, Kilkenny had a goal on the 35th that could've sealed the game. The Premier were outplayed and dominated in the first, but in the second they very nearly reversed it. Whatever Ryan said to the troops I don't know but it got them going. They entered the second half and fought like hell.

Watch Micheal Cahill, Pauric Maher, Ryan and co. and my Tipperary MOTM Patrick Maher and you'll see determination, focus, ability and drive. The "will not die attitude" of Patrick Maher is massively admirable. Regulars of this forum know he's my favourite player but his effort today was one of the best I've seen in sports in recent memory. The squad battled and battled. They didn't win but were not poor in my honest opinion.

• Advertisement

Its very sad because in my living memory the All Ireland final has always brought out the very best in Tipperary and that includes the ones we lost like Clare in 97 and Kilkenny in 2009. I really hope we can come back from this defeat stronger then ever and not waste another lost decade like the noughties or the 90's.
    Lar and Eoin didn't have the best of games but its probably unfair to expect them to perform all of the time and they were always going to be in for special treatment after the Munster final. Callinan was very poor and this isn't the first time. Also Noel Mcgrath had an anus horribulus in the championship by his high standards.

Some of the subs need to start challenging the seniors for places on the starting 15 and send a message to the seniors that 'i want your shirt' because like it or not that has been the secret of our noreside neighbours.

We have amazing fans and amazing infrastructure and i think we can take the baton from Kilkenny.

When McGrath and Callanan playing poorly, the task falls to Corbett, Kelly, O' Brien, and Maher, which makes their job harder. The beauty of the Tipperary forward line is that it forms well as a unit. They're the scorers and rack up the game winners. Corbett and Kelly are the stars, but those around them make them who they are too.

When Callanan and McGrath go missing the scoring machine splutters a little. That said, it's a factor among numerous factors why we didn't contest like we should have.

Hopefully Callanan can find some consistency. It isn't the first time like you said tipp_Gunner. He has the ability and is only 22.

Brendan Maher and Pa Bourke are notables on the bench who can contest. I think we'll see Brendan push this year and reclaim the starting spot. If the starters get an attitude that they're safe, skills will slacken. Best avoid that I think.

When McGrath and Callanan playing poorly, the task falls to Corbett, Kelly, O' Brien, and Maher, which makes their job harder. The beauty of the Tipperary forward line is that it forms well as a unit. They're the scorers and rack up the game winners. Corbett and Kelly are the stars, but those around them make them who they are too.

When Callanan and McGrath go missing the scoring machine splutters a little. That said, it's a factor among numerous factors why we didn't contest like we should have.

Hopefully Callanan can find some consistency. It isn't the first time like you said tipp_Gunner. He has the ability and is only 22.

Brendan Maher and Pa Bourke are notables on the bench who can contest. I think we'll see Brendan push this year and reclaim the starting spot. If the starters get an attitude that they're safe, skills will slacken. Best avoid that I think.

Spot on lad. Injury hampered Brendan's season in all honesty. A massive loss. I dont blame Declan for keeping him out of the side in spite of O'Keeffe's nightmare today as Brendan hadn't the same influence and needs the 2012 league to build intercounty match fitness i feel.

What i want to see next year is bouldness from the likes of Buggy O'Meara and John O'Neill taking their chance to make that step up and keep Lar and Eoin under pressure. Its time to plan for the day without Brendan Cummins and Gleeson should be given 3 of the 5 league games next year and perhaps even play him in the championship for the first game. That said Cummins is a treasure. A truly terrific guy and still one of the best but if he quits we suddenly have an inexperienced goalkeeper situation.

Callanan needs to learn to get stuck into a dogfight more often. the best man in Ireland to ghost in for a goal but needs to fight for the ball or otherwise he'll have nothing to ghost in for.

Tipp may have to reinvent themselves next year. Put it like this we might be looking more favorably toward a Ryan O'Dwyer type player as part of our squad. Ryan may not suit the swashbuckling style Tipp have but where we need more Bonnars, ROD is an ideal option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

no question we were not at our best today, to my mind we gave away a lot of possession needlessly that made it easier for Kilkenny to maintain their early advantage .

Our forwards could not get into it in the first 35 but no question about it it was a superb defensive display by Kilkenny in the first half.

I thought we showed unbelievable fighting spirit today when we were chasing the game. A few years back that 5 point lead would have lead to a pure hammering. On a day when literally nothing went right for us when we barely got the break of the ball we still pushed them right to the end.

Bonnar Maher was outstanding, really amazing show from him, he just never gave up. We will be back next year , there's definitely a couple more All Ireland's in this team.

Fair play to the lads on another fine season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

"Poor" is very harsh.

We lost by four points, to the best team of hurlers on the planet. We weren't walloped, destroyed, hammered or slaughtered, just closely beaten.

Did you watch the second half? Tipperary were shattered by the 40th minute, Kilkenny had a goal on the 35th that could've sealed the game. The Premier were outplayed and dominated in the first, but in the second they very nearly reversed it. Whatever Ryan said to the troops I don't know but it got them going. They entered the second half and fought like hell.

Watch Micheal Cahill, Pauric Maher, Ryan and co. and my Tipperary MOTM Patrick Maher and you'll see determination, focus, ability and drive. The "will not die attitude" of Patrick Maher is massively admirable. Regulars of this forum know he's my favourite player but his effort today was one of the best I've seen in sports in recent memory. The squad battled and battled. They didn't win but were not poor in my honest opinion.

I take your point. I shouldn't have said Tipp were poor because they weren't.

I just felt that some players played way below the level that we know that they can play at which was disappointing.
    I agree with you, I though Maher and Cahill played very well and appeared to give 100% effort.
    But other players did go missing for large parts of the game.

The only real debate is whether they went missing of their own volition or because KK strangled them.

Is the rumour true that certain players went out on the piss after the semifinal win?
    I was in a Thurles pub last night mooching around and you'd think Tipp had won the game by the way some people were drinking and singing.
    Strange that people would celebrate a defeat but there you go.

(I'm a Dub exiled to Thurles btw - so I've no axe to grind one way or t'other).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

They were selling 2* Davin end tickets for 100e, 50 each after the minor.
    Don't think i will go to another final after yesterday,11th hurling final i was at and other than the last 10mins there was little or no atmosphere i thought.Absolutely ridicolous volume coming from the speakers trying to blow the eardrums off everyone which meant you could hardly speak to the person beside you or ring anyone at halftime. Red carpets,and a clown screaming about the face in the crowd meant it was a relief when the match was on.Then some band that cost about 100 euro i'd say play one tune promoting their album and "wish the best of luck to both teams at half time" f off to electric picnic and give us a minutes peace. Wish i stayed at home and watched the cycling on Eurosport.

hawkwing wrote: »
    They were selling 2* Davin end tickets for 100e, 50 each after the minor.
    Don't think i will go to another final after yesterday,11th hurling final i was at and other than the last 10mins there was little or no atmosphere i thought.Absolutely ridicolous volume coming from the speakers trying to blow the eardrums off everyone which meant you could hardly speak to the person beside you or ring anyone at halftime. Red carpets,and a clown screaming about the face in the crowd meant it was a relief when the match was on.Then some band that cost about 100 euro i'd say play one tune promoting their album and "wish the best of luck to both teams at half time" f off to electric picnic and give us a minutes peace. Wish i stayed at home and watched the cycling on Eurosport.

Personally i felt while the Tipp fans were excellent yesterday and shouted them on until the bitter end, there was just an electrical magical atmosphere about the 2010 final that words cannot simply describe and that was before a ball was even thrown in. To be honest all the razmatazz that goes with the all ireland is a bit painful at times as the hurling final is in itself a simply brilliant sporting event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I think this is a very important point. We seemed to have mirrored our game on the style of player our manager was. While I think Ryan has the makings of a cracking manager I think he is still a bit tactically naive i.e there is no plan B. We saw the same thing against Dublin when the long ball wasn't working but we kept pumping them in regardless. Kilkenny were zonal marking to a man and there was a real oppertunity to bring Lar back to the middle of the pitch, either drag Delaney with him and create space or have have a few shots from distance. The game wasn't lost from the side line but at half time I would have been more confident of a come back if Sheedy was still in charge.

I haven't watched the game on TV yet but I thought a lot of aspects of our play were poor. Kilkenny played like it was their first All Ireland and are a great team but we've some savage talent as well. I thought the first touch and decision making was often awful in the first half and only slightly better in the second, they made the same mistakes even when they weren't under pressure!! No questioning their heart though against any other team Kilkenny would have won by 12 points minimum.

They'll come again but I'd really hate for that to be Cummins and Kellys last final.

I think this is a very important point. We seemed to have mirrored our game on the style of player our manager was. While I think Ryan has the makings of a cracking manager I think he is still a bit tactically naive i.e there is no plan B. We saw the same thing against Dublin when the long ball wasn't working but we kept pumping them in regardless. Kilkenny were zonal marking to a man and there was a real oppertunity to bring Lar back to the middle of the pitch, either drag Delaney with him and create space or have have a few shots from distance. The game wasn't lost from the side line but at half time I would have been more confident of a come back if Sheedy was still in charge.

I haven't watched the game on TV yet but I thought a lot of aspects of our play were poor. Kilkenny played like it was their first All Ireland and are a great team but we've some savage talent as well. I thought the first touch and decision making was often awful in the first half and only slightly better in the second, they made the same mistakes even when they weren't under pressure!! No questioning their heart though against any other team Kilkenny would have won by 12 points minimum.

They'll come again but I'd really hate for that to be Cummins and Kellys last final.

Dunno about Cummins but judging by Kelly at the homecoming i think he is hurting like hell. He'll be back like the great competitor he is. Yesterday wasnt ideal for him ill agree but i think Eoin will look at this and be hell bent on getting back to Croker for the big one in 2012

Fair play to Barry O'Brien tonight on his speech. Very Inspiring and uplifting given i suppose given it probably doesnt match the current mood.

I have to say while i respect Declan Ryan greatly....Obama he isn't. The guy undoubtedly has unbelievable knowledge of the game and is a truly good man but on top of that we need the fire and brimstone that Sheedy and co brought us and the wealth of hurling knowledge Eamon O'Shea brought us. The lads didnt look as confident and as sharp as their normal self and for Tipperary hurling to maintain the heights it has reached the last few years it needs leadership and confidence. I defended Ryan on the match thread the other day but now im not so sure was Sir Graball onto something. That said Declan took a job that even the likes of Nicky English turned down so his bravery isnt in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I think a lot of credit has to be given to Tipp yesterday, in how they without playing well still managed to keep in touch, had it been any other team against kilkenny yesterday, Kilkenny would have won by 15 or 20 points.

archtech wrote: »
    I think a lot of credit has to be given to Tipp yesterday, in how they without playing well still managed to keep in touch, had it been any other team against kilkenny yesterday, Kilkenny would have won by 15 or 20 points.

Ultimately you have to take the positives and Ryan while not the most fire and brimstone of people in spite of his knowledge, acknowledged Tipp's problems yesterday. There is pressure there now for him. He has one year to turn things in our favour otherwise he could be well gone and while that might seem unfair it must also be said that Tipperary have won the all ireland with this crop of players so that is the benchmark they must aim for. Liam Sheedy developed a winning formula and now the pressure is on Declan Ryan, Tommy Dunne and Michael Gleeson to sustain this formula.

I will also say that the loss of Declan Fanning has also been problematic this year. Those are big boots to fill and hopefully John O'Keefe or David Young has the belief to challenge for that spot but personally i think Thomas Stapleton will come more into it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I read all the posts on the game here earlier in the day but I just hadn't the heart to post anything then,I'm absolutely gutted after yesterdays result and the way things went for Tipp.yes we played bad and yes KK deserved to win but what killed me was we still had a chance of drawing or winning the game when we got back to just 3 points,at that stage I said to myself if we could just up our game a small bit we might just get something here but we couldn't do it,we were playing better and KK were getting tired we just had to up it a bit and we hadn't it in us to do it.why I just don't know.
    I'm getting worried about the management now,I know it's only there first year in the job and all that but if Sheedy was still in charge we would have won that game yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Headed in to watch the minor game yesterday pitty they forgot to show up. Was great to enjoy the senior game. Great game hard luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

tippspur wrote: »
    I read all the posts on the game here earlier in the day but I just hadn't the heart to post anything then,I'm absolutely gutted after yesterdays result and the way things went for Tipp.yes we played bad and yes KK deserved to win but what killed me was we still had a chance of drawing or winning the game when we got back to just 3 points,at that stage I said to myself if we could just up our game a small bit we might just get something here but we couldn't do it,we were playing better and KK were getting tired we just had to up it a bit and we hadn't it in us to do it.why I just don't know.
    I'm getting worried about the management now,I know it's only there first year in the job and all that but if Sheedy was still in charge we would have won that game yesterday.

In hindsight you could have said the same about an inexperienced Sheedy in 09 when we lost a game we really should have closed out. Munster title and All Ireland in his first season, I'll give Ryan the benefit of the doubt for another year.

Again I don't think the game was lost on the sideline, too many of our star players were average by their standards for us to have won.

• Advertisement

To quote Apollo Creed from the Rocky films, "We lost the eye of the tiger". But we'll get it for 2012 back rest assured

I take your point. I shouldn't have said Tipp were poor because they weren't.

I just felt that some players played way below the level that we know that they can play at which was disappointing.
    I agree with you, I though Maher and Cahill played very well and appeared to give 100% effort.
    But other players did go missing for large parts of the game.

The only real debate is whether they went missing of their own volition or because KK strangled them.

Is the rumour true that certain players went out on the piss after the semifinal win?
    I was in a Thurles pub last night mooching around and you'd think Tipp had won the game by the way some people were drinking and singing.
    Strange that people would celebrate a defeat but there you go.

(I'm a Dub exiled to Thurles btw - so I've no axe to grind one way or t'other).

Perhaps I was too harsh, the emotions were running high. You're correct, players went missing. Kelly, Gar Ryan, Shane McGrath, Stapleton, Seamus Callanan and Noel McGrath all went missing at some points. Especially Callanan. Fierce good prospect but needs to assert his authority.

They were overwhelmed, battered and failed to tactically adapt. Kilkenny were supreme too. Domination at its finest. Their back line will be a case study in years on how to defend like champions.
    I think this is a very important point. We seemed to have mirrored our game on the style of player our manager was. While I think Ryan has the makings of a cracking manager I think he is still a bit tactically naive i.e there is no plan B.

I believe this was a crucial factor in our defeat. The relentless bombing of the ball downfield by the goalkeepers and defenders didn't help. The long ball is fine if you're in a comfortable lead but when you need points, it doesn't help; largely due to the fact Delaney, Tyrell, Murphy, Walsh and co. played like young fellas.

I admire Donal O' Grady's scheme of offense in Limerick. Gone are the days of geetting the ball down field and hoping someone crops up. There's a much more sensible passing effort. Defender gets the ball, passes it short to midfield, then on to the forward lines. It's clean, efficient, fast, and most importantly productive. Limerick haven't got the best set of players in the country but this system pushed them far.

I think Ryan should adopt a similar plan. You saw it on Sunday when players passed it well. Maher to Corbett, Corbett to Bourke, goal. It was the same with Noel McGrath's fine second half point down the middle.

I think Ryan made some poor decisions but he may be off the hook, due to it being his first final.

I think we may get one more year out of Cummins. I certainly hope so!

Still hurtin' from Sunday so I'm off to YouTube to try and find last year's game! Even better if I find the full match around on DVD. Certainly saw it somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I dont know what happened on Sunday,there was no spark.The same spark was missing against Dublin.They were off the pace altogether.It seems to suit Tipp better,if they are total underdogs.Hopefully things can get back on track.I was going up O' Connell street early on Sunday morning,and I didnt see any bunting across the street.The had some near the main guard,and some on Parnell street.By looking at o connell street,you wouldnt think Tipperary were in the all Ireland final...............

Lack of bunting and the like was disgraceful. Odd flag in the window. No celebration for one of the biggest sporting events on the calendar.

Whats the story with the south championship guys? The Davins are down to play Brackens on Aertel and the Tipperary GAA site in round 2 of the qualifiers but i thought loser of Mullinahone and Swan played Brackens and winner met the Davins in the south final? have i missed something?

Who do you guys reckon will get All-Stars?

I'm betting on Corbett, Pauric Maher, Patrick Maher and possibly Cahill and Curran?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Frankie1234

Hi Everyone,

I'm a dub and i'm looking for tickets to the Final.

I know this is a long shot but because i'm not part of any clus i cant get a ticket. It would mean a lot to me and the wife if someone could help us out.

If anyone can help out please PM me.

Living in hope

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Whats the story with the south championship guys? The Davins are down to play Brackens on Aertel and the Tipperary GAA site in round 2 of the qualifiers but i thought loser of Mullinahone and Swan played Brackens and winner met the Davins in the south final? have i missed something?

I'm not 100% sure on the championship dynamics but the Davins are still expected to play in the South Final on the 18th against either the Swans or Mullinahone. I guess if they lose the qualifier the South final gives them a 2nd chance and it's not fair to hold off the whole county championship over one divisional replay. From what I read on PV, it suited the Davins nicely because one of their best players had to serve a one match ban and they thought he'd miss the south final but now that he's served the ban in the intervening few weeks it was delayed he's available to play in the final

julyjane wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure on the championship dynamics but the Davins are still expected to play in the South Final on the 18th against either the Swans or Mullinahone. I guess if they lose the qualifier the South final gives them a 2nd chance and it's not fair to hold off the whole county championship over one divisional replay. From what I read on PV, it suited the Davins nicely because one of their best players had to serve a one match ban and they thought he'd miss the south final but now that he's served the ban in the intervening few weeks it was delayed he's available to play in the final

The whole thing became an absolute farce tbh and i suppose this solution allows the championship to conclude in order to leave tipp have a representative in the Munster championship but it should have never came to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Who do you guys reckon will get All-Stars?

I'm betting on Corbett, Pauric Maher, Patrick Maher and possibly Cahill and Curran?
    Pauric Maher,Lar,Cahill and Paul Curran are the 4 most likely,I would love to see Bonner getting an all star but I doubt he will.

Advertisement