Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

tippspur wrote: »
    Pauric Maher,Lar,Cahill and Paul Curran are the 4 most likely,I would love to see Bonner getting an all star but I doubt he will.

Strange, some folks in the GAA section are putting him in with no argument. But I hope you're right!

Strange, some folks in the GAA section are putting him in with no argument. But I hope you're right!

For all the goals he set up he should. Mullinahone vs Swan on Sunday should be interesting. In fairness Ryan could do worse then go along and look at Gerry Walsh on Sunday.

The Lads on PV condemning an occurrence of racism in an under 12 ( yes under 12) game between Gortnahoe and Moyne-Templetouhy. Too right its disgraceful carry on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

any result from the swan v mullinahone match lads? didnt get to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

any result from the swan v mullinahone match lads? didnt get to go.
    Mullinahone 1-16 Swan 0-13 after extra time.:(

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Mullinahone 1-16 Swan 0-13 after extra time.:(

Nevermind ye have another crack at it next week. Lar scored two goals against the black and amber today.....that is the black and amber of Upperchurch Drombane

Ehhh. From PremierView. Won't let me join.

"Dear _____,

Our staff has opted not to approve your account, and therefore it has been removed. The following reason was provided for why your account was not approved:

Hi We are not accepting new members until Nov 2011,
    however if you wish to become a subscriber of the discussion board, please go to this link, those who join can then join discussion board, by emailing admin@premierview.ie .

http://www.premierview.ie/go_to_discussion_board.html"

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

So are they saying you can join PV or you can't? :confused:

Can you read without posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

An excellent piece in this weekends Sunday Times about the All Ireland Final with statistics aplenty.

The stats clearly show just how dominant KK were in terms of pass/plays/scores.
    For all of that they still only won by 4 points which has to be of some succour to Tipp.

I can't find a link for the article but I will post the content when i get some time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

"Dear _____,

Our staff has opted not to approve your account, and therefore it has been removed. The following reason was provided for why your account was not approved:

however if you wish to become a subscriber of the discussion board, please go to this link, those who join can then join discussion board, by emailing admin@premierview.ie .

Odd.
    I got the same reply a few days ago too.

• Advertisement

Number of plays KK=220 Tipp=178
    Hooks-blocks - tackles KK=39 Tipp=25
    Turnovers in possession KK=18 Tipp=3
    High catches in 50/50 duels KK=18 Tipp=8
    Long balls into attack KK=31 (won 12) Tipp=32 (won 10)
    Short Stick passes KK=24 Tipp=14
    Player with most plays Rice (25) P Maher (19).

Colin Fenelly, 8 of 18 plays were Hooks-blocks - tackles .

Tipp in 2010 final had 15 Turnovers in possession.

The article goes on to state that in 55th minute P Maher passed the ball to Corbett inside 45m line. Only 2 KK defenders were present.
    Corbett offloaded to Bourke who scored. These chances were similar to the ones that were scored in 2010. The article suggests that the shortgame should have been tried more.

KK short pass game (24) derived their scores (?).
    In the semi final Dublin had 128 plays against Tipp in the first half. In the final's second half KK had 128 plays against Tipp.

4 KK had more than 20 plays in the game : Rice, Delaney, Walsh and Shefflin.
    3 Tipp players had more than 15 : P Maher, cahill, B Maher.

kelly, Corbett, Callinan and Noel McGrath made a total of 20 plays throughout the game.
    Corbett had 5 plays.

John O'brien (13) and Brendan Maher (11) plays.

hinault wrote: »
    Number of plays KK=220 Tipp=178
    Hooks-blocks - tackles KK=39 Tipp=25
    Turnovers in possession KK=18 Tipp=3
    High catches in 50/50 duels KK=18 Tipp=8
    Long balls into attack KK=31 (won 12) Tipp=32 (won 10)
    Short Stick passes KK=24 Tipp=14
    Player with most plays Rice (25) P Maher (19).

Colin Fenelly, 8 of 18 plays were Hooks-blocks - tackles .

Tipp in 2010 final had 15 Turnovers in possession.

The article goes on to state that in 55th minute P Maher passed the ball to Corbett inside 45m line. Only 2 KK defenders were present.
    Corbett offloaded to Bourke who scored. These chances were similar to the ones that were scored in 2010. The article suggests that the shortgame should have been tried more.

KK short pass game (24) derived their scores (?).
    In the semi final Dublin had 128 plays against Tipp in the first half. In the final's second half KK had 128 plays against Tipp.

4 KK had more than 20 plays in the game : Rice, Delaney, Walsh and Shefflin.
    3 Tipp players had more than 15 : P Maher, cahill, B Maher.

kelly, Corbett, Callinan and Noel McGrath made a total of 20 plays throughout the game.
    Corbett had 5 plays.

John O'brien (13) and Brendan Maher (11) plays.

Cheers for that. Stats crunching always makes for interesting viewing and to be honest i think every coach should take it on board.

Basically we were well beaten in every category yet still only lost by 4 points.

To be honest id have my doubts Declan Ryan will even take heed of those stats. He marched the troops into slaughter and watched on with his mouth open. The dogs in the street knew that Kilkenny were planning a way to stop Tipp's attack and he still went ahead with the same gameplan and no plan B whatsoever and this despite a huge warning against Dublin.

I'm sorry to be so critical but in order for Tipp to reach their potential and i do think despite last Sundays setback that there is still more All Ireland's in their team in the not too distant future but he will have to change his ways and soon.

The planning for 2012 needs to start now suppose he only got the team together for a few meetings and a frank and open exchange of views with the players.

There is a statement in the Premier plan that was published recently that Tipperary cannot just go on and hope for the best but that's exactly what the management did last Sunday

Cheers for that. Stats crunching always makes for interesting viewing and to be honest i think every coach should take it on board.

Basically we were well beaten in every category yet still only lost by 4 points.

To be honest id have my doubts Declan Ryan will even take heed of those stats. He marched the troops into slaughter and watched on with his mouth open. The dogs in the street knew that Kilkenny were planning a way to stop Tipp's attack and he still went ahead with the same gameplan and no plan B whatsoever and this despite a huge warning against Dublin.

I'm sorry to be so critical but in order for Tipp to reach their potential and i do think despite last Sundays setback that there is still more All Ireland's in their team in the not too distant future but he will have to change his ways and soon.

The planning for 2012 needs to start now suppose he only got the team together for a few meetings and a frank and open exchange of views with the players.

There is a statement in the Premier plan that was published recently that Tipperary cannot just go on and hope for the best but that's exactly what the management did last Sunday

To my untrained eye, if both KK and Tipp played to their maximum playing ability I think there is one team in it. And that is Tipp.

It's easy for me to say but there are two aspects to all of this.
    One aspect is having the ability to perform at a given level. Tipp have this.

The second aspect is being able to turn this ability on, during a given day.
    KK have mastered the ability to do this second aspect.
    I'm not sure that Tipp have mastered it though.

hinault wrote: »
    To my untrained eye, if both KK and Tipp played to their maximum playing ability I think there is one team in it. And that is Tipp.

It's easy for me to say but there are two aspects to all of this.
    One aspect is having the ability to perform at a given level. Tipp have this.

The second aspect is being able to turn this ability on, during a given day.
    KK have mastered the ability to do this second aspect.
    I'm not sure that Tipp have mastered it though.

I think you are not too far wrong there but Tipp played with a lot more belief and confidence under Liam Sheedy and more crucially last years trainer Eamon O'Shea and the only championship games we didn't play to the maximum under their tenure was Waterford in 2008, where we got off to a slow start yet somehow we clawed our way back into contention and then lost by 2 points. The other game was that disaster on Leeside in 2010 which was a catalyst for greater things and perhaps we had the safety net of the qualifiers back then to allow for a bad day at the office.

Look i suppose the other side of the coin is that those players are human beings and while KK played excellent for our part we lacked sharpness and bite which we had in spades in 2009 & 2010. Its unfortunate maybe that our 'Cork' of this year came in the final.

Here's hoping that crucial lessons can be learned from this and we can get to grips with that type of gameplan in 2012 because it would be an awful shame and not just for Tipperary fans everywhere but for hurling in general if a team who can play like us on our day can only manage to win one all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

"Dear _____,

Odd.

I think they're saying you can't join until November unless you pay.

Kind of weird. More the merrier and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

This might be the hurling thread but what an absolutely fantastic performance by the minor footballers today, showed some guts and heart in that game, very proud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Great stuff lads,massive win for the county :)

OAOB wrote: »
    This might be the hurling thread but what an absolutely fantastic performance by the minor footballers today, showed some guts and heart in that game, very proud

+1. A truly brilliant day. Dont mind the thread title. Afaic this is the Tipperary GAA discussion thread and i would ask the mods to edit it. :)

HON TIPP!!!

Welcome Tom Markham and we'll see you back soon Liam McCarthy

Lads we'll have to change the title of the thread for next year!

Well done Davy and well done to the lads!

• Advertisement

INPHO_00544516.jpg

:):):):):):):):):):)

Id say there was a few sniggers when Barry O'Brien said he wanted us to win Sam McGuire by 2020, but this is, in addition to recent U-21 success is a good sign of progression.

Id say there was a few sniggers when Barry O'Brien said he wanted us to win Sam McGuire by 2020, but this is, in addition to recent U-21 success is a good sign of progression.

It will be alot sooner than 2020 if they keep this up. In the near future i can see Noel McGrath will be lifting Liam McCarthy on the first Sunday of September and his brother John will lift Sam Maguire two weeks later :D

I believe young Bill Maher's grandmother died yesterday so given those circumstances its a credit to him to come up to Dublin and have a game like that.

I suppose an u-21 AI is the next step, or maybe a scalp against Cork or Kerry every so often. We need a steady stream into senior level though and we have to remember that our senior footballers this year left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Absolutely delighted with this win.brilliant stuff from Tipp minors.

I suppose an u-21 AI is the next step, or maybe a scalp against Cork or Kerry every so often. We need a steady stream into senior level though and we have to remember that our senior footballers this year left a lot to be desired.

The frightening thing is alot of that team today have 2 or 3 more years at minor grade. Young Colm O'Riordan for example is only 15

Well done lads. County's behind ya'll.

That last goal for Tipp was a HELL of a shot. Incredible; you wouldn't see that in the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Some win today. They weren't given much of a chance and looked in trouble at half time. But they came out at the start of the second half and showed they had plenty fight in them. It was the old "goals win games" story.

Quirke made a big difference when he came on and kicked a couple of lovely scores. Quinlivan also came into it alot more in the second half and they kept on touch with Dublin. The goal was well taken and Dublin panicked after that. The lads shut up shop for the last nerve wrecking few minutes!

Also Hill 16 is a great place to be when you beat the Dubs! The lads were delighted to be able to come down in front of the Hill and rub it in after. There may not have been many of us but we made ourselves heard.

*Off topic a little*
    The atmosphere in croke park for the last 10mins of the senior game was something else. After the Dubs got the goal the whole place went mad. It really was somethin else. The crowd was easily 60-20 to Dublin. It was nice to be able to stand back and watch it as a neutral. Reminded me of last years hurling final........ oh the memories! :)

Few tweets here taken from a post on premierview :)

index.cgi?action=downloadattachment&board=Tipp_&thread=21734&post=531693&key=PUrlVq%207b8Q18wBnmxbez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

It will be alot sooner than 2020 if they keep this up. In the near future i can see Noel McGrath will be lifting Liam McCarthy on the first Sunday of September and his brother John will lift Sam Maguire two weeks later :D

I believe young Bill Maher's grandmother died yesterday so given those circumstances its a credit to him to come up to Dublin and have a game like that.

i would think it would be more like 2030 before tipp would win sam maguire!

underage in gaa is a whole other kettle of fish to senior. that goes for club and intercounty!

remember the limerick 21's won 3 AI's in a row at the early part of the last decade, they were all saying how this was going to lead to limerick being a powerhouse in hurling over the next few years!

that didnt happen.

fair play to the minor and everyone else involved in the underage development squads, but it will be a struggle to even get to a final let alone win one.

look how long it took a better dual county like cork to win a football all ireland!

Advertisement