Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

trebor28 wrote: »
    i would think it would be more like 2030 before tipp would win sam maguire!

underage in gaa is a whole other kettle of fish to senior. that goes for club and intercounty!

remember the limerick 21's won 3 AI's in a row at the early part of the last decade, they were all saying how this was going to lead to limerick being a powerhouse in hurling over the next few years!

that didnt happen.

fair play to the minor and everyone else involved in the underage development squads, but it will be a struggle to even get to a final let alone win one.

look how long it took a better dual county like cork to win a football all ireland!

Fair point, although if the setup and infrastructure is good, which i think it is pretty reasonable in Tipperary, then that will go a long way if we are a county with serious ambition which we clearly are.

Obviously you couldnt be under any illusions about imminent success at senior level and the boys will find the step up alot more difficult but at least Tipp have something to challenge themselves now. Something to aim for.

Another significant thing could be that for a dual player like Sean Carey or John Coghlan, they may have a difficult choice in 2012 of who to opt for which can only be a good thing overall. I think Tipp could come into contention soon if they keep the belief and another thing is i think we have the number to compete in both hurling and football in the future.
    Contention at senior level and gradual progress up to division 1 must be the next aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

underage in gaa is a whole other kettle of fish to senior. that goes for club and intercounty!

remember the limerick 21's won 3 AI's in a row at the early part of the last decade, they were all saying how this was going to lead to limerick being a powerhouse in hurling over the next few years!

that didnt happen.

fair play to the minor and everyone else involved in the underage development squads, but it will be a struggle to even get to a final let alone win one.

look how long it took a better dual county like cork to win a football all ireland!

The Limerick example is always used in these arguements, but what people tend to forget is it was essientally the same team a one off and the most you are ever going to get off an u-21 team is 6 or 7, also in each of the three years they only beat Tipp by as single puck of a ball.

Tipperarys progression in football is far more progressive and sustained, last years u-21, the year before in u-21 were robbed by Cork who won the AI, this years minors who have 17 of the panel underage next year and the fact that we are munster champions at u-14/15/16 and 17 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

that didnt happen.

2030 may be more realistic but its not very ambitious. 2020 is something people in Tipperary can visualise and work towards. As long as progress is being made I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'm all for winning Football all Ireland's as long as it doesn't interfere with our Hurling progress,It's the hurling first for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

tippspur wrote: »
    I'm all for winning Football all Ireland's as long as it doesn't interfere with our Hurling progress,It's the hurling first for me.
    Both should be cooperating with one another. Managers of Dual players should be contacting each other as to allow each get the best out of the player while ensuring he doesnt get burned out.
    Look at Dublin this year.
    They had several players on both minor teams. Because management of each team cooperated with one another the best was got out of all players and it was a win win situation
    We are a big enough county to be able to compete in both hurling and football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

The Limerick example is always used in these arguements, but what people tend to forget is it was essientally the same team a one off and the most you are ever going to get off an u-21 team is 6 or 7, also in each of the three years they only beat Tipp by as single puck of a ball.

Tipperarys progression in football is far more progressive and sustained, last years u-21, the year before in u-21 were robbed by Cork who won the AI, this years minors who have 17 of the panel underage next year and the fact that we are munster champions at u-14/15/16 and 17 level.

so the hurlers were only beat by a puck of a ball but the footballers were robbed? doesnt add up

look at the kerry football team from the last 10 years, how many of the minors from their teams over the same period made it through? same with the kilkenny hurlers, how many minors made it through to their senior team!

these guys might make the senior for tipp but that doesnt mean they might win munster let alone the AI!

so the hurlers were only beat by a puck of a ball but the footballers were robbed? doesnt add up

look at the kerry football team from the last 10 years, how many of the minors from their teams over the same period made it through? same with the kilkenny hurlers, how many minors made it through to their senior team!

these guys might make the senior for tipp but that doesnt mean they might win munster let alone the AI!

No ideas what you are even trying to say here but i'll attempt to reply.

Firstly I made the point that Limerick(deservedly) beat Tipp three years running by a single score, each game could have went either way, yet lazy journalists and hurlers on the ditch automatically assumed Tipp were struggling underage cos they had no silverware and Limerick were set to dominate hurling, it would be funny if it wasnt so damn ludicrous.

The U-21 football match I referred to against Cork two years ago, with Tipp winning by a point and time up the cork corner back picked the ball clean off the ground in the penalty area no free given, Cork went up the field and duly scored the winning goal and went on to win the AI, my point being this years minors are not a one-off their is a trend to Tipps progress in the big ball.

As for the Kerry/KK minors again dont know what you are saying here but 95% of all senior county players would have played minor in any county its kinf of how it works, obviously there are always exceptions, our own Lar Corbett been the most high profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

No ideas what you are even trying to say here but i'll attempt to reply.

Firstly I made the point that Limerick(deservedly) beat Tipp three years running by a single score, each game could have went either way, yet lazy journalists and hurlers on the ditch automatically assumed Tipp were struggling underage cos they had no silverware and Limerick were set to dominate hurling, it would be funny if it wasnt so damn ludicrous.

The U-21 football match I referred to against Cork two years ago, with Tipp winning by a point and time up the cork corner back picked the ball clean off the ground in the penalty area no free given, Cork went up the field and duly scored the winning goal and went on to win the AI, my point being this years minors are not a one-off their is a trend to Tipps progress in the big ball.

As for the Kerry/KK minors again dont know what you are saying here but 95% of all senior county players would have played minor in any county its kinf of how it works, obviously there are always exceptions, our own Lar Corbett been the most high profile.

my point was very few minors actually go on to play inter county senior for a sustained period of time.

every year there would be at least 15 new minors on any county minor team. if one of them made it to intercounty senior for 3 years or more then that would be a success.

how many conuty minors have come and gone while colm cooper, dec o'sullivan, paul galvin, mark o'se, tommy walsh, henry sheflin, brendan cummins, eoin kelly etc havent lost their place on the team!

Totally agree with that point but in all honesty we have a big population and if we use it to the best of our abilities then there is absolutely no reason why we cant flourish in both in the future.

Hurling will always be number one in Tipperary dont worry about that, but while we are able to produce footballers such as Declan Browne who walked away from the game without a Munster or All Ireland medal then i think we have a duty as a county to foster the talent in both codes and look after them on and off the field.

I see Cian O'Neill has left the setup :(
    This is just sh*t. a successful formula from last year gone without a fight. his replacement has big boots to fill

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=155464

• Advertisement

County quarter finals

Clonoulty-Rossmore 3-18
    Nenagh Eire Og 0-14

Thurles Sarsfields 3.17
    Loughmore 2.16

Mullinahone 2-21 Borrisilleagh 0-21 AET. :)

Drom-Inch 1-23. Toomevara 1-13.

Callinan on fire apparently. End of an era for Toom or am i being too presumptuous?

Mullinahone 2-21 Borrisilleagh 0-21 AET. :)
    Good win for Mull,Kelly in top form I hear.

Good win for Mull,Kelly in top form I hear.

2-13 for Kelly. 3 from play and 2 goals were 21's. Great to see Eoin responding in such a fashion after the all ireland.

Semi final draw.

Drum V Mullinahone.
    Sars V Clonoulty.

Next Sunday in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I know tis a formality at this stage for mull but when is the south final against davins actually gonna be played?

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    I know tis a formality at this stage for mull but when is the south final against davins actually gonna be played?

The week after Mullinahone are knocked out of the county/munster championship :) could be next week, or near christmas or perhaps early 2012. :D

Believe it or not the south final could be interesting. Mullinahone will want to justify their 'bye' to the quarter finals and Davins may want to put a spanner in the works there but on the other hand i suppose the time of year its played at wont make for good spectacle.

Hopefully we'll get the end of the English heatwave for all these hurling games :)

Sars 0-15
    Clonoulty 2-14

Drum 1-20
    Mullinahone 0-14
    Bit of a shock to see SARS going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Sars 0-15
    Clonoulty 2-14

Drum 1-20
    Mullinahone 0-14

when is the final?

edit : october 16th is the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

The week after Mullinahone are knocked out of the county/munster championship :) could be next week, or near christmas or perhaps early 2012. :D

Believe it or not the south final could be interesting. Mullinahone will want to justify their 'bye' to the quarter finals and Davins may want to put a spanner in the works there but on the other hand i suppose the time of year its played at wont make for good spectacle.

Hopefully we'll get the end of the English heatwave for all these hurling games :)

They drew last time they played as well.

Sars 0-15
    Clonoulty 2-14

Drum 1-20
    Mullinahone 0-14

Clonoulty had hunger in abundance today.The Clonoulty faithful were up for it and more importantly the team was well up for it. They minimalised Lars involvement but Paidi Maher was terrific.

I think they will win the county now as Drom went 15 minutes without scoring today in the second half and if Mullinahone had more that could score they would have punished them.

Nice pairing for the final though. I wouldn't begrudge either club an inch of success (no pun intended :))

South final next Sunday at half 3. Sean Curran played exceptionally well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Draw for 2012 champioship last night.

SHC: Tipp-v-Limerick and winner plays cork
    SFC: Tipp-v-Kerry and winner plays Cork

Draw for the hurlers is ok, its hard to know what any team in Munster will be like next year with the change in management tbh.

Feel very sorry for the footballers, they can never seem to catch a break in Munster

OAOB wrote: »
    Draw for 2012 champioship last night.

SHC: Tipp-v-Limerick and winner plays cork
    SFC: Tipp-v-Kerry and winner plays Cork

Draw for the hurlers is ok, its hard to know what any team in Munster will be like next year with the change in management tbh.

Feel very sorry for the footballers, they can never seem to catch a break in Munster

Really?? We have been drawn in a QF for the 9th time since 1999, and if we win it we have to go all the way down to that dump in Cork again and more than likely if we were to come through that we'd have to go back down there again to face Waterford, I actually dont think we could have got a worse draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Hideous draw for the footballers,even if they had gotten to a semi to meet the winners of Cork/Kerry it would have been acceptable but this is a disaster.No team could beat them both --and still not even a Munster title if you did,just when things were looking up.Then straight in the backdoor where another 7 wins or something are needed for silverware---hope they give the league everything..
    Hurlers would be better off losing to Cork if they beat Limerick as they won't stay at peak from May to Sept,3 Munsters in 4 years and they win the AI the year they don't win Munster--provincial almost meaningless at this stage,especially when you have won a few.Can see the Dubs taking the cats in a semi to throw it all wide open next year though.

I think its time for the footballers to start believing in themselves and have a proper cut @ Kerry.
    Chances are that Tipp would play either them or Cork at some stage of munster c'ship anyway so there is no point cursing their luck. On top of that you learn from playing the good teams.
    The hurlers won’t have it easy against a youthful limerick side. Hopefully the mgmt team have learned from their absolutely glaring errors in the all Ireland final. The gap between Tipp, Kilkenny and the others is getting narrow so we need to show hunger and sharpness or otherwise like the noughties it will be another lost decade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mlinked

Tipperary County Senior Football anyone know the semi final draw & venues?

mlinked wrote: »
    Tipperary County Senior Football anyone know the semi final draw & venues?

probably will be made tomorrow night but i think there are two other semis left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Drom win their first county title, 1-19 to 2-14. Callanan stepped up with 6 points as his side came from 5 down in 2nd half

• Advertisement

Great to see Drom win their first but commiserations to Clonoulty who have amazing fans and a great side who have counties in them im sure. Callanan and David Butler were excellent today as was young Maher for Clonoulty who looks a fantastic prospect.

Advertisement