Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

Tipp All Ireland Vocational schools champions. 2-14 to 1-16 vs Kilkenny in Ballyragget.

H'on the Premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Tipp All Ireland Vocational schools champions. 2-14 to 1-16 vs Kilkenny in Ballyragget.

H'on the Premier!
    Great stuff,well done to the Tipp lads.:)

Tipperary (v. Dublin, Croke Park, Saturday, 5.15pm): Darren Gleeson; Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Michael Cahill; David Young, Conor O'Mahony, Padraic Maher; Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath; Gearóid Ryan, Pa Bourke, Patrick Maher; John O'Neill, Paddy Fanning, Sean Carey.

Very strong lineup but are we seeing signs of Brendan Cummins career being wound down gradually?
    Good to see young Carey get a go and i also think Paddy Fanning will prove a useful panelist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Good to see B Maher starting after he went off there last weekend. I wouldnt be too confident about the scoring power we have in that 6 up front, but shur i suppose thats what the league is for. Dont know much about P Fanning, is he up to much gunner?

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Good to see B Maher starting after he went off there last weekend. I wouldnt be too confident about the scoring power we have in that 6 up front, but shur i suppose thats what the league is for. Dont know much about P Fanning, is he up to much gunner?

I think Paddy deserves a crack at it. Age is against him in terms of improvement on his weaknesses at this level but he is doing ok in the challenges and deserves this opportunity and these kind of games are perfect for it.

Apart from Bonnar and Gar i would say perhaps the rest of the forwards need games and experience. Pa Bourke is almost like a hurling Theo Walcott. Capable of great stuff but needs to start finding that extra gear.

Dont forget also we are playing in Croke Park, so really there is no better incentive to improve.

• Advertisement

Noel Mcgrath's rather embarrassed and sarcastic response when he was asked about the Jedward concert was priceless :D
    Oh yeah.....Cant wait

See TV3 news.

Noel Mcgrath's rather embarrassed and sarcastic response when he was asked about the Jedward concert was priceless :D

See TV3 news.

Dya think we could convice Benny Dunne that one of them is Tommy Walsh? :pac:

See TV3 news.
    Yeah I saw that tonight,I'd say Noel will be in the bar while Jedward are performing:D

Dya think we could convice Benny Dunne that one of them is Tommy Walsh? :pac:

to be honest Tommy Walsh wouldn't even come into the equation, They don't get much more annoying then John and Edward. :)

fair play to the Dublin co board though for their initiative in promoting the league.

to be honest Tommy Walsh wouldn't even come into the equation, They don't get much more annoying then John and Edward. :)

fair play to the Dublin co board though for their initiative in promoting the league.

Ah ya fair dues to them alright, i saw Damien Dempsey and Horslips are playin before other games. Id have made the trip today if it was either of them, tis unfortunate who we got lumped with. Tis a good idea all the same. Hopefully we can get a win under the belt today, and get the ball rollin. Up the premier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

i assume i can walk up and get a ticket later this evening? anyone have any idea of this?

Bourke off to a good start again in the first half, few good moves from Shane McGrath in there too. Pa and John O Neil are the only two in the front 6 who are thowin any kinda shapes, no sign of Carey or Fanning in the full line so far

just on the door, i left with the rest of the tipp crowd!!!

disappointing again. league is good as done now, we may as well keep experimenting for the rest of it.

dublin should've finished us off in the last 10 too.

how did it look on the box, am i being overly pessimistic?

Will23 wrote: »

disappointing again. league is good as done now, we may as well keep experimenting for the rest of it.

It looked very much like an experimental team on the box, I cant see Carey, M Glesson, O Meara etc... getting a look in when its buisness time. We struggled to win ball in the forwards. The last while I havent been too sure about Bonnar, I'd much rather see sheamy back in the starting team this year. Was it hard to see what was goin on in the first half? The fog looked desperate up there on the telly

Tis worth mentioning aswell how much of an impact kelly had today when he came on, his presence alone rose a fair few lads. He'll be some loss whenever he decideds to call it a day

while im not really concerned whether we win the league or not but i can understand your pessimism.
    i do hope we respond in a positive manner to this defeat as im starting to be concerned about relegation. the league is not a massive tournament but it is imperative we hurl at the top level year in-year out. i think the forwards lacked leadership but we will have that in the coming weeks when Eoin and Lar and perhaps Johno come back into the side.

Tis worth mentioning aswell how much of an impact kelly had today when he came on, his presence alone rose a fair few lads. He'll be some loss whenever he decideds to call it a day

You dead right about Kelly Ger. Remember Bonnar took a shot vs Wexford last year when he had Lar and Eoin open? Both Eoin and Lar gave him a roasting but when he set up Kelly's goal v Galway, who was the first man to congratulate him? There was no one there to do it today. Thats leadership.

Bonnar now isn't a great scorer Ger but works very hard and i felt he gave Delaney enough to worry about last week. More then Buggy did. I do think the next game is very important and there is now the previous unthinkable pressure of maintaining league status.

You dead right about Kelly Ger. Remember Bonnar took a shot vs Wexford last year when he had Lar and Eoin open? Both Eoin and Lar gave him a roasting but when he set up Kelly's goal v Galway, who was the first man to congratulate him? There was no one there to do it today. Thats leadership.

Bonnar now isn't a great scorer Ger but works very hard and i felt he gave Delaney enough to worry about last week. More then Buggy did. I do think the next game is very important and there is now the previous unthinkable pressure of maintaining league status.

You can kinda see the leadership qualities comin out in noel too at times, him and kelly tellin each other to keep the heads after noels goel in september. Kellys a class act and a savage role model for young lads like noel and bonnar. hes some work horse all right is bonnar, a nightmare to mark id say. dyou think we'll be seein much of woodlock this year? whats the story with festy, i dont think hes appeared yet this year? hed a great year in 09.

You can kinda see the leadership qualities comin out in noel too at times, him and kelly tellin each other to keep the heads after noels goel in september. Kellys a class act and a savage role model for young lads like noel and bonnar. hes some work horse all right is bonnar, a nightmare to mark id say. dyou think we'll be seein much of woodlock this year? whats the story with festy, i dont think hes appeared yet this year? hed a great year in 09.

Agreed 100% on Noel. A future Tipp captain for sure.

Woodlock needs more time and games to build up his fitness but to even make it back this far shows remarkable will on his part. Festy has a groin injury which can only be healed by time and rest according to the guys on PV. It said to be a similar injury to Frank Lampard's or Paul O'Connell. A huge asset to the Tipp panel if he can come back.

It looked very much like an experimental team on the box, I cant see Carey, M Glesson, O Meara etc... getting a look in when its buisness time. We struggled to win ball in the forwards. The last while I havent been too sure about Bonnar, I'd much rather see sheamy back in the starting team this year. Was it hard to see what was goin on in the first half? The fog looked desperate up there on the telly

i only got a ticket at 10 past 5 so i missed the first 5 mins, was stuck in the corner between the davin and hogan so couldn't see a thing the far end of the park for the first half.

forwards were not great, backs did well, but the different interpretation of ref from last week meant their physicality went against them and gave some soft frees, what did keaney score? 11 of his 14 from placed balls? that means the rest of the dub team scored just 3 scores, and the whole team scored 6 scores from play, keaney getting 50% of that!

we need to start to bring back in the leaders from last year as you say. what happened noel and conor o mahoney yesterday, they were named as starters?

i also thing there are one or two fringe players on the panel that have been given enough chances now over the years, and its about time they shaped up or shipped out. i don't want to badmouth individuals but i guess you might all know who i am on about! in particular one forward (who shall remain nameless:)) who takes far to much time on the ball, and cannot catch with his hand. drives me crazy to be honest.

i would love to know what the management think, i.e. are they happy with what they have seen so far, given the teams they have put out, what is the goal for the league, are they thinking about the championship only etc.

i suppose to sum it up i feel that maybe we are living a bit too much off last years all ireland, and the U-21 in particular, and we need to put that behind us and move ahead this year. ask youself what would kilkenny do, coz they are the barmark for everyone else still!!(painful as it is to say!)

Will

Time to pull the finger out now and win the next few League games,I won't be able to handle a defeat to Waterford,not where I live anyway.:o

• Advertisement

ya im good for the new thread too if all else are in! nice one.

Edit: Although i do like to read back over this one now and then, especially the aftermath following the debacle below in the Park, through to the final.... great stuff and great read!!

funnily enough i was looking through it myself earlier and its amazing the similarities last year to the stuff posted so far this year. Would make you think, are we panicking for nothing with what we have seen so far?

funnily enough i was looking through it myself earlier and its amazing the similarities last year to the stuff posted so far this year. Would make you think, are we panicking for nothing with what we have seen so far?

ah you're probably right there gunner, but sure tis a tipperary trait all the same!!

we wouldn't be the same if we didn't react like this when we lose, and when we win we're the greatest team in the land.

i think its great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

We're definitely panicking too early.

Yes, it's worrying that we've lost all three competitive games, yes it's worrying that we're so far behind the other team in preparation, yes it's worrying that the players are still drinking the absolute ****e out of it with the cup BUT it's only February, and they certainly don't hand out Celtic Crosses for another seven months.

Tipp were missing Lar, Noel, Eoin (from the start), and Johno from the starting six forwards the last day. Festy is also injured We'll be OK. Cian O Neill is too good of a coach to not have this team prepared for the business end of the championship.

Hopefully, we'll struggle over Cork in May above in Thurles and scrape another Munster title. Then we'll be into an All Ireland Semi, avoiding Kilkenny until the first Sunday in September.

The only problem I can forsee is that if Tipp lose to the Blah's, the fans will start to get on Declan Ryans back. This isn't going to help him or the team but it's understandable if it happens.

We're a fickle shower! Sheedy was lambasted last year in May, June and July yet he was hailed as the second coming of christ in September. Ryan needs time. He will make mistakes this year, it will take time for the players to understand his management methods, and we will hopefully be looking at Festy singing Galtee Mountain Boy in Croker again next September!!

'hon Tipp.

If anybody would like to start a Tipperary Hurling 2011 thread, I'd be happy to move any relevant posts over from this one for ye as well. :)

Id agree to that. That picture 'UptheSlashers' put of Usain Bolt would be an ideal OP for 2011

http://hoganstand.com/Hurling/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=143018

Conor O Brien, Hugh Maloney, Timmy Hammersley and Paddy Fanning dropped from the panel

Conor O Brien, Hugh Maloney, Timmy Hammersley and Paddy Fanning dropped from the panel

gives the impression of a greater plan for the league anyway. not that i doubted it for a minute:)

Heard that alright Ger. While i feel bad for the lads i feel Ryan's decision prob justified. Many would feel maybe Foxy could do a job wing back and perhaps they right but i think Tipp prob have enough options there. i talked to Paddy Fanning in Mullinahone the night the cup came home and i can tell you he is a total gent. I wanted him to succeed badly as he was such an honest level headed bloke. Hopefully the guys can see this as an incentive to improve their game. Hammersley has the hurling similar to Pa but needs maybe the bit of confidence to mix it up now and then. i wish the guys the best of luck.

In one way i admire Ryan for making tough decisions so early. i think we can all assume that Declan has always been a guy that looks after younger players and he is probably not the most vociferous man but he has set massive standards. i wish them well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Anyone going up tonight? I know its only league but its a bit of a must-win game. Losing three in a row will be no good for confidence.

Anyone going up tonight? I know its only league but its a bit of a must-win game. Losing three in a row will be no good for confidence.

Just back and i totally agree with you. Better tonight but Waterford had two men sent off and i had to do a recount to make sure it wasn't two of our lads who got the line we were so swamped.

• Advertisement

Just back and i totally agree with you. Better tonight but Waterford had two men sent off and i had to do a recount to make sure it wasn't two of our lads who got the line we were so swamped.

I was readin the updates on rte there last night, was Noel as on fire as they made him out to be? They made it seem that every score he got was a quality one

Advertisement