Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

well the original story was he broke it trekking up sliabhnamon and that was discussed on another well known forum. Probably BS though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

well the original story was he broke it trekking up sliabhnamon and that was discussed on another well known forum. Probably BS though.

A family member is a part of a walking group and they were walkin up the mon and they saw the team up there jogging up the side of the mountain. The whole team was doing it apparantly. Very risking training from Deccy now that didnt work out. I cant see why he wouldnt just bring them down to the dunes in clonea or tramore rather than up the side of a mountain where people have to wear walking boots like.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    A family member is a part of a walking group and they were walkin up the mon and they saw the team up there jogging up the side of the mountain. The whole team was doing it apparantly. Very risking training from Deccy now that didnt work out. I cant see why he wouldnt just bring them down to the dunes in clonea or tramore rather than up the side of a mountain where people have to wear walking boots like.

that's true, certainly footwear is a big factor in these things if they are going to take that risk.
    I think tipp were doing that during the Sheedy regime too Ger AFAIK

that's true, certainly footwear is a big factor in these things if they are going to take that risk.
    I think tipp were doing that during the Sheedy regime too Ger AFAIK

Tis risky buisness to be at though. Hopefully that'll be the last of our injurys anyway. Hopefully the saint wont be out for too long either now and we'll have a clear road to Cork in a few weeks time

Tis risky buisness to be at though. Hopefully that'll be the last of our injurys anyway. Hopefully the saint wont be out for too long either now and we'll have a clear road to Cork in a few weeks time

Was just thinking its ideal. Eoin, Saint, Brendan, Hennessey, Callanan, and perhaps also Festy Kerwick will be back fresh for the championship. Granted the match fitness might be an issue but hopefully not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Some win for Tipp today lads,Hammered the shyte out of Galway.and hopefully we have found a new forward in Shane Burke,3-4 is some scoring for a new lad in the team lets hope he can keep it going.4 points from play for the bonnar aswel.who knows with the way results might go the next day we could yet find ourselves in the League final..UP THE PREMIER !
    PS.well done to the Tipp footballers in there win over Wexford.good day all round.:)

tippspur wrote: »
    Some win for Tipp today lads,Hammered the shyte out of Galway.and hopefully we have found a new forward in Shane Burke,3-4 is some scoring for a new lad in the team lets hope he can keep it going.4 points from play for the bonnar aswel.who knows with the way results might go the next day we could yet find ourselves in the League final..UP THE PREMIER !
    PS.well done to the Tipp footballers in there win over Wexford.good day all round.:)

Was at the football myself Spur. excellent performance from them. pulled away in first half and never looked like being beaten. Austin, the Grogans and John Cagney were the stand out players

Cant wait to see full hurling match shown on TG4 later. Some tally from young Burke. That will give his confidence a lift pls god. Its been sort of stop start for him.
    Great to hear Bonnar got a few points. no man deserves scores more then Bonnar.
    An awful lot of panicking going on around the county over not hitting the ground running in the league. if they make the league final well and good as its a good test for them but if they dont then Cork on May 29th is the one to win.

18 points v Galway - if Kilkenny done it the media would be having orgasms like they were two year ago.

Galway had no answers to Tipps play today,our backs were very good and the forwards tore the Galway defence to bits and with Shane Mc Grath back to his best in the centre we were unstoppable on the day,Gar Ryan had a great game also after a slow start.

tippspur wrote: »
    Galway had no answers to Tipps play today,our backs were very good and the forwards tore the Galway defence to bits and with Shane Mc Grath back to his best in the centre we were unstoppable on the day,Gar Ryan had a great game also after a slow start.

I have to say having watched the highlights on RTE, the room Galway gave the Tipp forwards at times was unbelievable. Think it will be tighter come championship needless to say but its still good to build up the match fitness.

Would be nice to get the extra game alright and get into the league final but i cant see Galway slipping up vs Waterford. Dublin will take Cork with the bit of extra hunger in my opinion.

The footballers have a tough task in Cavan and if Waterford win and we lose then its division 4 next year. Waterford are hard to beat in Fraher field but i think Louth will have too much for them with promotion at stake. Paradoxically we can also get promoted but Offaly and Wexford need to lose and if Louth were to beat Waterford then they would finish above us in the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The independent is reporting that Bonner Maher broke his hand in the Galway game and is out for about a month. He should be back for the Cork game but the injury list is starting to get a bit too long for comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Michael Lowry has been named to replace Enfer as new Tipperary Hurling Sponsor. Speaking at a press conference Lowry said he was delighted to get the opportunity to sponsor his native county. He will not however allow his name on the jersey. It has been suggested that the logo could be "Moriarty my arse" other suggestions welcome.:p

OAOB wrote: »
    The independent is reporting that Bonner Maher broke his hand in the Galway game and is out for about a month. He should be back for the Cork game but the injury list is starting to get a bit too long for comfort.

I think his club might suffer more there. He should be ok for the Cork game.

In other news, Tipp Seniors were meant to have beaten Tipp intermediates in a challenge tonight. Anyone know the scorers?

I see the Flying Larry (Corbett) opened a pub in Thurles today :)
    Does he not own another one 'Corbetts' up near the bridge at the end of the square too? I think his old man owns one as your heading up toward stadium near Noel Ryan's.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/503954/

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

his father used to have one down by the cathedral alright, but i don't think he is in the trade now!

best of luck to him anyway, tough town to get a pub going in, in the last few years. i wouldn't be home much now, but when i am things usually seem quiet enough (bar bank hols, xmas etc...)

Will23 wrote: »
    his father used to have one down by the cathedral alright, but i don't think he is in the trade now!

best of luck to him anyway, tough town to get a pub going in, in the last few years. i wouldn't be home much now, but when i am things usually seem quiet enough (bar bank hols, xmas etc...)

Is Denis Corbett not his father no?

Anyways does anyone have any score or report from Mullinahone v Ballingarry tonight?

Is our club correspondent Looder lurking about somewhere? :D

EDIT: Just after hearing it there now
    Ballingarry 1 19 Mullinahone 0 14 :eek: Oh Fúck!!!

Bad beating for Mullinahone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Is Denis Corbett not his father no?

Anyways does anyone have any score or report from Mullinahone v Ballingarry tonight?

Is our club correspondent Looder lurking about somewhere? :D

EDIT: Just after hearing it there now
    Ballingarry 1 19 Mullinahone 0 14 :eek: Oh Fúck!!!
    I'm still around TG, was wondering why I didn't receive any email updates about this thread and then I realised that I'm not subscribed to the 2011 thread :)

Wasn't at any matches over the weekend but here's a quick rundown of results for any of ye interested.

In the South,

Ballingary beat Mullinahone (I've heard Mull are missing a good few from last year + Paul Kelly was sick/ Eoin was injured).
    Davins beat Ballybacon by a point (I've heard that the Ref robbed Ballybacon, and this was from a Davin player. He gave Davins a free near the end when it should have been a free to Ballybacon to put them two points up. Davins got a point off this, and then the winner off the puckout.)
    Swans play Killenaule 2moro (Tuesday) in Kilsheelan at 6-45pm. Killenaule will be strong favourites I reckon for this.

In the North,
    Borrisilleagh beat Portroe by 5 or 6 points
    Templederry drew with Roscrea (Ref got score wrong, Templederry really won by a point. Not sure what the North Board are going to do about this yet)
    Kildangan beat Lorrha by a few points.
    Toomevara beat Moneygall by over 15 points
    Kilruane beat Burgess by 10 points.
    Nenagh play Borrisokane this week.

In the Mid,
    Loughmore beat MoyCarkey by 6 points
    Brackens beat Drom by a couple of points (Bit of controversy here about a 21 yard free either going through the net or over the bar. Goal was given anyway and Brackens won.)
    Upperchurch beat Boherlahn by a goal
    Sars playing Friday against Holycross

In the West,
    Starts next weekend.

I'll give a good rundown of the Swans vs Killenaule match 2moro night.

EDIT: Here's the results of the North as per: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-High-Stool/112091915540619?sk=wall
    North Tipp Senior Hurling Rd 1

Toomevara 1-24 Moneygall 1-9

Templederry Kenyons 0-13 Roscrea 1-10

Kildangan 3.16 Lorrha 3.11.

Kilruane 1.22 Burgess 1.12

Borris-Ileigh 1.19 Portroe 1.14

Nenagh Eire Og V Borrisokane Thurs 14th at 6pm in Cloughjordan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

looder wrote: »
    I'm still around TG, was wondering why I didn't receive any email updates about this thread and then I realised that I'm not subscribed to the 2011 thread :)

Wasn't at any matches over the weekend but here's a quick rundown of results for any of ye interested.

In the South,

Ballingary beat Mullinahone (I've heard Mull are missing a good few from last year + Paul Kelly was sick/ Eoin was injured).
    Davins beat Ballybacon by a point (I've heard that the Ref robbed Ballybacon, and this was from a Davin player. He gave Davins a free near the end when it should have been a free to Ballybacon to put them two points up. Davins got a point off this, and then the winner off the puckout.)
    Swans play Killenaule 2moro (Tuesday) in Kilsheelan at 6-45pm. Killenaule will be strong favourites I reckon for this.

In the North,
    Borrisilleagh beat Portroe by 5 or 6 points
    Templederry drew with Roscrea (Ref got score wrong, Templederry really won by a point. Not sure what the North Board are going to do about this yet)
    Kildangan beat Lorrha by a few points.
    Toomevara beat Moneygall by over 15 points
    Kilruane beat Burgess by 10 points.
    Nenagh play Borrisokane this week.

In the Mid,
    Loughmore beat MoyCarkey by 6 points
    Brackens beat Drom by a couple of points (Bit of controversy here about a 21 yard free either going through the net or over the bar. Goal was given anyway and Brackens won.)
    Upperchurch beat Boherlahn by a goal
    Sars playing Friday against Holycross

In the West,
    Starts next weekend.

I'll give a good rundown of the Swans vs Killenaule match 2moro night.

EDIT: Here's the results of the North as per: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-High-Stool/112091915540619?sk=wall
    North Tipp Senior Hurling Rd 1

Toomevara 1-24 Moneygall 1-9

Templederry Kenyons 0-13 Roscrea 1-10

Kildangan 3.16 Lorrha 3.11.

Kilruane 1.22 Burgess 1.12

Borris-Ileigh 1.19 Portroe 1.14

Nenagh Eire Og V Borrisokane Thurs 14th at 6pm in Cloughjordan
    will u give us the two team line ups aswell please looder. sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Mullinahone are missing about 6 from last years team through emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Carrick Swans 0-13 Killenaule 1-10

Teams that started were:

Killenaule:
    Gerry Kennedy
    Stephen Browne- Paddy Codd -Declan Ryan
    Vinnie Hannigan - Tony doyle - Peter Kennedy
    Mouse Dwyer and Donal Shelly
    Michael Doyle- Matthew O' Donnell (went midfield early on)- Tomas Nolan (I think)
    Jonathon Gleeson, Niall Dwyer - Bubbles Dwyer

Swans lined out with:
    Tom Kennedy
    Darren Murphy - Alan O' Sullivan - Gerry Walsh
    Amby Walsh - Kevin Lanigan - Darren Fahy
    Martin Russell and Stephen Hahessy
    Dwaine Fogarty - Danny O Hanlon - Paul Diffily
    Alan P Ryan - Jamie "Busker" Sweetman - MJ Walsh

Those teams are off the top of my head as none of the two teams went as per programme. Both Fanning and Festy didn't play.

A bit of a run down on the game tonight.

Firstly, I'm not one to criticise referees but jesus Keith Delahunty had a mare tonight. The game was stop start throughout with about ten minutes injury time in the first half and another ten in the second.

Killenaule started brightly, scoring a goal within forty seconds. Poor defending by Swan capitalised by Jonathan Gleeson.

They then added a second score and kept ahead of Swans by four and five points the whole way through the first half.

Mouse Dwyer + Micheal Doyle both had nasty injuries. One was a dislocated collarbone and the other looked like it was a leg/knee injury but linesman said it was a shoulder problem again. Dwyer was stretchered off. Ambulance arrived pretty quickly. This stoppage was about four minutes long. Doyle walked off with his collarbone. I know Doyler pretty well so hopefully he makes a quick recovery. The chap has had enough injury problems already without another long lay off.

Due to the stop start nature of the first half, none of the teams got going and the score was 1-06 to 0-04 at half time. Terrible game to watch as a spectator. Killenaule had the wind (which was pretty strong it has to be said) hit some very bad wides in the first half also.

Swans started the second half a little more brightly scoring the first point but just couldn't claw back back the deficit. Swans missed three guilt edge, open goals in the second half too.

It looked like it was over with approximately eight minutes left when Killenaule went five up after a good catch and score by Bubbles Dwyer.

However, Swan scored five without reply to earn a draw. Similar to this game last year, Hanlon scoring the equaliser with the last puck of the game. If it went on another two minutes, Swans would have won it.

Worryingly from a Swan point of view, we never took the lead in the match but I suppose we showed some very good battling qualities and deserved to get a point out of it.

Final Score Killenaule 1-10 Carrick Swans 0-13

From looking in at it, it looked like neither team had a lot of hurling done, similar to this time last year, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Interestingly, Festy was named at half forward but didn't play. In fact, I didn't see him at the game, although I wasn't close to the Killenaule subs to confirm.

Both teams will improve tenfold between now and the business end of the championship, and I'd expect both teams to be in the Semi finals.

• Advertisement

I see Paul Kelly has been dropped from the panel, any reason for that do ya know lads? I'd have thought he'd have been a handy number to have on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I see Paul Kelly has been dropped from the panel, any reason for that do ya know lads? I'd have thought he'd have been a handy number to have on the bench

In fairness he is 31 now, stuggling with injuries for a while and never really established himself in the forwards, and with the likes of Pa and Shane Bourke, John O'Neill, Buggy etc. all laying down claims he has falle down the pecking order a bit.

Fantastic servant down the years though at Midfield and Wing Back and also for Mullinahone.

In fairness he is 31 now, stuggling with injuries for a while and never really established himself in the forwards, and with the likes of Pa and Shane Bourke, John O'Neill, Buggy etc. all laying down claims he has falle down the pecking order a bit.

Fantastic servant down the years though at Midfield and Wing Back and also for Mullinahone.

Id agree with Ger there. surely he would have been good to call in in a tight game and at 31 while he isn't a young man he certainly isn't old either.
    Ok he has been struggling with injuries and form of late i agree but Benny Dunne cant be much younger than him and he is playing great stuff so far. I feel a young team needs the experience of Paul Kelly to help them out.

i dunno about the forwards you mentioned yet. They have alot to prove. undoubted talent there but need to convert it to championship games.

I never rated him as a wing back as i felt he was a bit loose, but at midfield i thought he was the business. Think wing forward would have been at good slot for him too.

I think Paddy Murphy from Éire Óg Nenagh and last years under 21 all ireland winning team has been called up.

You could never underestimate the value of a wise pair of legs like Pauls when needed though. He was looking good in the league last year before the injury. I suppose at the same time we're spoilt for choice up front at the minute. Unbelieveable selection in fairness.

Im not going to post any details on an internet forum but I have it from a reliable source that the decision may not have been entirely based on hurling. I was a ctually at a practice match last week between Tipp seniors and Tipp intermediates and Paul was terrible, never pucked a ball.

One thing I didnt agree with however was the manner in which Paul was droped, a phone call a couple of hours before Mullinahones opening championship match, surely a guy of he's calibre deserved a little more tact and consideration than that.

You could never underestimate the value of a wise pair of legs like Pauls when needed though. He was looking good in the league last year before the injury. I suppose at the same time we're spoilt for choice up front at the minute. Unbelieveable selection in fairness.

Plenty of experience to be fair, Brendan Cummins, Paul Curran, Conor O'Mahoney, Shane McGrath, Lar Corbett, Eoin Kelly, Benny Dunne, the injury last year was the beggining of the end for Paul as an intercounty hurler and he struggled to make any impact since. Having said that he was a fantastic hurler and servant and he's display in the second half of the munster final in Cork when he scored 5 points from play from Midfield was one of the best of all time.

Plenty of experience to be fair, Brendan Cummins, Paul Curran, Conor O'Mahoney, Shane McGrath, Lar Corbett, Eoin Kelly, Benny Dunne, the injury last year was the beggining of the end for Paul as an intercounty hurler and he struggled to make any impact since. Having said that he was a fantastic hurler and servant and he's display in the second half of the munster final in Cork when he scored 5 points from play from Midfield was one of the best of all time.

Agreed 100%, we're not stuck for experience at all. Twas an unfortunate injury for a great hurler. C'est la vie sometimes I suppose.

I didnt know he was dropped over the phone, I'm living abroad now, dont hear the local stuff over here, feel free to fill me in if ye ever hear anythin good though :D Over the phone isn't the greatest respect to show a man with two all stars though

Im not going to post any details on an internet forum but I have it from a reliable source that the decision may not have been entirely based on hurling. I was actually at a practice match last week between Tipp seniors and Tipp intermediates and Paul was terrible, never pucked a ball.

One thing I didnt agree with however was the manner in which Paul was droped, a phone call a couple of hours before Mullinahones opening championship match, surely a guy of he's calibre deserved a little more tact and consideration than that.

Same type of game he had vs Offaly in the league, although he had a great game vs Waterford. It was wrong on Mullinahone too as all of a sudden they have a player in a championship game in a bad frame of mind.

A lot of people on Premierview were saying Paul should have responded in the best way possible to the news, but having given 13 years of his life (15 if you include minors in 96 and 97) to the county, it is understandable when a once hugely important player is told he is dropped from the panel, it is then hard to get in the right frame of mind for a club game.

Tipp under 21s are rumoured to be up against their intermediates tonight, if you happen to be at it premierstone, let us know how it goes.

Carrick Davins man Lee Mackey has been brought into the Tipp senior hurling squad,best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

looder wrote: »
    Carrick Swans 0-13 Killenaule 1-10

Teams that started were:

Killenaule:
    Gerry Kennedy
    Stephen Browne- Paddy Codd -Declan Ryan
    Vinnie Hannigan - Tony doyle - Peter Kennedy
    Mouse Dwyer and Donal Shelly
    Michael Doyle- Matthew O' Donnell (went midfield early on)- Tomas Nolan (I think)
    Jonathon Gleeson, Niall Dwyer - Bubbles Dwyer

Swans lined out with:
    Tom Kennedy
    Darren Murphy - Alan O' Sullivan - Gerry Walsh
    Amby Walsh - Kevin Lanigan - Darren Fahy
    Martin Russell and Stephen Hahessy
    Dwaine Fogarty - Danny O Hanlon - Paul Diffily
    Alan P Ryan - Jamie "Busker" Sweetman - MJ Walsh

Those teams are off the top of my head as none of the two teams went as per programme. Both Fanning and Festy didn't play.

A bit of a run down on the game tonight.

Firstly, I'm not one to criticise referees but jesus Keith Delahunty had a mare tonight. The game was stop start throughout with about ten minutes injury time in the first half and another ten in the second.

Killenaule started brightly, scoring a goal within forty seconds. Poor defending by Swan capitalised by Jonathan Gleeson.

They then added a second score and kept ahead of Swans by four and five points the whole way through the first half.

Mouse Dwyer + Micheal Doyle both had nasty injuries. One was a dislocated collarbone and the other looked like it was a leg/knee injury but linesman said it was a shoulder problem again. Dwyer was stretchered off. Ambulance arrived pretty quickly. This stoppage was about four minutes long. Doyle walked off with his collarbone. I know Doyler pretty well so hopefully he makes a quick recovery. The chap has had enough injury problems already without another long lay off.

Due to the stop start nature of the first half, none of the teams got going and the score was 1-06 to 0-04 at half time. Terrible game to watch as a spectator. Killenaule had the wind (which was pretty strong it has to be said) hit some very bad wides in the first half also.

Swans started the second half a little more brightly scoring the first point but just couldn't claw back back the deficit. Swans missed three guilt edge, open goals in the second half too.

It looked like it was over with approximately eight minutes left when Killenaule went five up after a good catch and score by Bubbles Dwyer.

However, Swan scored five without reply to earn a draw. Similar to this game last year, Hanlon scoring the equaliser with the last puck of the game. If it went on another two minutes, Swans would have won it.

Worryingly from a Swan point of view, we never took the lead in the match but I suppose we showed some very good battling qualities and deserved to get a point out of it.

Final Score Killenaule 1-10 Carrick Swans 0-13

From looking in at it, it looked like neither team had a lot of hurling done, similar to this time last year, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Interestingly, Festy was named at half forward but didn't play. In fact, I didn't see him at the game, although I wasn't close to the Killenaule subs to confirm.

Both teams will improve tenfold between now and the business end of the championship, and I'd expect both teams to be in the Semi finals.
    H'on the Swan. Nice to have you back Looder.

Advertisement