Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

Will23 wrote: »
    very quiet run in to the big game lads... any thoughts on the team?

two spots up for grabs only really imo, wing back and one spot in the forwards if you go for larry, eoin, noel, john-o and bonnar.

what ye think?

young/o'keefe for the wing back spot

callinan possibly for the forwards?

Will

Callanan played very well in the challenge Sunday and meant to be doing well for the club so he will get a half fwd slot i reckon if bonnar cant make it back.

I think O'Keefe is a bit more solid than David Young tbh so id play him wing back.

Depending on Bonnar on Brendan Maher's fitness you could see Woodlock coming into midfield and Gar Ryan slotting in wing fwd.

the team (There may be a lot of interchangeability amongst the 6 Fwds
    Cummins
    Saint Curran Cahill

O'Keeffe O'Mahony Paudie

8 Brendan or Gar (if Brendan out) or Woodlock if (both Brendan & Bonnar out) 9 Shane

10 Johno 11 Callanan or Bonnar (if fit) 12 Bonnar or Gar (if Brendan is fit)

15 Lar 14 Eoin 13 Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

On the premise that Bonner doesnt make it - he has no hurling done in two months - I would line out as follows

Cummins
    Saint
    Curran
    Cahill
    O'keefe
    Maher
    O'Mahoney
    Shane McGrath
    Gar Ryan
    S Callinan
    N McGrath
    Johno
    Shane Bourke
    God
    Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

i prob agree with both assessments above, in the simple fact that we seems to have some options for the positions up for grabs, which is great considering we have so many to come back in from injury and challenge for places!

shane bourke, and james woodlock are definitely options to take the open spots ya....

what do ye make of the pa bourke situation... i wouldnt select him personally but did he not play every league game...? any ideas on the management teams thoughts on this one?

i prob agree with both assessments above, in the simple fact that we seems to have some options for the positions up for grabs, which is great considering we have so many to come back in from injury and challenge for places!

shane bourke, and james woodlock are definitely options to take the open spots ya....

what do ye make of the pa bourke situation... i wouldnt select him personally but did he not play every league game...? any ideas on the management teams thoughts on this one?

id agree with you on Pa. i think a super-sub at best. Shane Bourke is still a little raw too i fear. A physical corner back would kill him if he started but he could test a weary corner back if brought on like Pa vs Galway last year. the squad is in a terrific state. Last year i felt it needed some tweaking and that one or two starting mightn't be guys for the big game but this is a panel that will challenge for the next few years i can safely say. the biggest threat is that the championship will be more competitive in the coming years. As well as kilkenny and Galway, i think Clare, Dublin, and Waterford will have strong teams in the next few years and i also think Cork and Limerick will turn the ship around.

:)
    I had the privilege of witnessing a truly amazing performance by the Tipp minor footballers tonight. 11 points down at half time they scored Kerry 2-7 to 0-2 points in the second half to go through to the Munster final. a performance that will live long in my memory.

We have a good minor hurling team too and two of the dual players are Kilsheelan's Bill Maher and cousin of Noel, Liam Mcgrath who were incredible for both the last two respective games.

Án Premier Abú!! :)

In other news, HRM Queen Elizabeth had the privelege of meeting Larry and Paudie in Croker today.

516609.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

id agree with you on Pa. i think a super-sub at best. Shane Bourke is still a little raw too i fear. A physical corner back would kill him if he started. the squad is in a terrific state but he could test a weary corner back if brought on like Pa vs Galway last year. the squad is in a terrific state. Last year i felt it needed some tweaking and that one or two starting mightn't be guys for the big game but this is a panel that will challenge for the next few years i can safely say. the biggest threat is that the championship will be more competitive in the coming years. As well as kilkenny and Galway, i think Clare, Dublin, and Waterford will have strong teams in the next few years and i also think Cork and Limerick will turn the ship around.

:)
    I had the privilege of witnessing a truly amazing performance by the Tipp minor footballers tonight. 11 points down at half time they scored Kerry 2-7 to 0-2 points in the second half to go through to the Munster final. a performance that will live long in my memory.

We have a good minor hurling team too and two of the dual players are Kilsheelan's Bill Maher and cousin of Noel, Liam Mcgrath who were incredible for both the last two respective games.

Án Premier Abú!! :)
    Amazing comeback from our minors tonight I thought they were dead and buried at half time,fair play to them all.must have been an unreal game to watch in the second half tippgunner.

tippspur wrote: »
    Amazing comeback from our minors tonight I thought they were dead and buried at half time,fair play to them all.must have been an unreal game to watch in the second half tippgunner.

Unreal tippspur doesn't even come close. There was some atmosphere when the comeback was on.

At half time i think everyone had given up. Damage limitation was the only thing on supporters mind. Tipp started the game brightly. It was only after the goalkeeper having a bit of a howler for the first goal that things started to fall apart. Kerry blew them away in the next 10 minutes and Tipp could only manage 5 points from scraps the whole first half but the only encouraging thing was their ability throughout the field to turn over Kerry possession.

What a turnaround in the second half. Tipp introduced 3 subs who had a massive impact- Colman Kennedy who got goal no 2, Riordan who worked his socks off, and Ian Fahey whose free taking was immense.
    Kerry could not even get out of their own half such was the Tipp determination and Quinlivan's goal coupled with 3 unanswered scores and all of a sudden we had a game on our hands. It was all Tipp from then on. They got deficit back to 2 points but Kerry got a rare point to put it back to 3 but then the 2nd goal came. The game was level.
    Tipp turned over the next attack to amazingly go in front. Deep into injury time they missed a free and were nearly punished when Kerry got a point but almost immediately in the dying seconds with almost 66 minutes on the clock McGrath got a peach of a winner. The crowd went wild.

I was only making a point to a few lads after last night that our recent results in football at underage are really a mirror image of what was happening in Dublin underage hurling say 5-8 years ago and look at the progress they are now making at senior level, I think if Tipp can keep John Evans on board, he has also done alot of work with the minors, we could really make giant steps forward with the bigball.

I was only making a point to a few lads after last night that our recent results in football at underage are really a mirror image of what was happening in Dublin underage hurling say 5-8 years ago and look at the progress they are now making at senior level, I think if Tipp can keep John Evans on board, he has also done alot of work with the minors, we could really make giant steps forward with the bigball.
    A good comparison really. the only thing with Tipperary is that if any of them are good enough to make a senior or under 21 hurling panel in the future then they wont be as inclined to throw their lot in with the footballers. to be honest we have a few lads on the senior panel like Sean Carey and John Coughlan who might never reach their full potential with the hurlers but would improve our football team greatly ala Conal Keaney or Shane Ryan are currently doing with Dublin

A good comparison really. the only thing with Tipperary is that if any of them are good enough to make a senior or under 21 hurling panel in the future then they wont be as inclined to throw their lot in with the footballers. to be honest we have a few lads on the senior panel like Sean Carey and John Coughlan who might never reach their full potential with the hurlers but would improve our football team greatly ala Conal Keaney or Shane Ryan are currently doing with Dublin

Very true but here the comparison is just the same, both Keaney and Ryan initially choose football and turned down the hurling for quite a while and while competent footballers were never quite 'topclass' and eventualy returned to the hurlers, I can see the same happening in reverse with the likes of Coughlan and Carey, possibly Buggy Meara aswell, its a matter of getting rid of the mentality that playing football is somehow taking a step backwards, and this will come with success.

Referring back to the team selections above for sunday week, Bonner Maher played last night in a challenge match against the U-21's and was very lively so it looks like he will start v Cork, from the team I selected I would put Johnno in the corner Bonner wing and Shane Bourke unlucky to loose out but both he and Pa will be great subs to bring into a game that is opening up as bodys tire, ditto for John O'Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Anybody know what terrace the Tipp fans are going to be in for Cork match?
    I know its usually the killinan end but need to be sure before I book tickets through ticketmaster.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Anybody know what terrace the Tipp fans are going to be in for Cork match?
    I know its usually the killinan end but need to be sure before I book tickets through ticketmaster.

tis always the killinan end... :)

tis always the killinan end... :)
    Apart from a couple of years ago when the GAA gave Killinan to Waterford fans and the Town end to us,twas disgraceful.:mad:

tippspur wrote: »
    Apart from a couple of years ago when the GAA gave Killinan to Waterford fans and the Town end to us,twas disgraceful.:mad:

i remember that alright although i suppose tipp had home advantage for that final in fairness but surely Tipp would have demanded more tickets for the Killinan then Waterford especially as the air of optimism was more inclined toward Tipp at the time.

Cheers lads, gonna go ahead and book for the killinan end then. Tickets should be handy enough to come by, but I just want to be sure.
    I expect a decent crowd to turn out considering its Tipp's first championship game since winning the All Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

The Tipperary Intermediate hurling team to play Cork on Sunday at 1.45pm in Semple Stadium

The Tipperary Intermediate hurling team to play Cork on Sunday at 1.45pm in Semple Stadium includes George Hannigan and Philip Austin, both of whom played against Kerry in the Munster senior football championship last weekend, former senior hurling panellists Alan Byrnes, Thomas Stapleton, Daragh Hickey and Evan Sweeney, and goalkeeper from last year’s All Ireland under-21 winning team, James Logue. The team is captained by 2006 All Ireland minor winning captain, Joey McLoughney from Toomevara.
    1. James Logue (Ballingarry)
    2. Alan Byrnes (Shannon Rovers)
    3. George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers)
    4. Kevin Maher (Lorrha and Dorrha)
    5. Joey McLoughney (Toomevara) Captain
    6. Tomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    7. Ronan Sherlock (Silvermines)
    8. Johnny Ryan (Drom and Inch)
    9. Paudie O’Dwyer ( Éire Óg Annacarty Donohill)
    10. Daragh Hickey (Boherlahan Dualla)
    11. Willie O’Dwyer (Carrick Davins)
    12. Philip Austin (Borrisokane)
    13. Evan Sweeney (Loughmore-Castleiney)
    14. Philip Ivors (Ballingarry)
    15. Ray McLoughney (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    http://tipptatler.ie/

Cheers lads, gonna go ahead and book for the killinan end then. Tickets should be handy enough to come by, but I just want to be sure.
    I expect a decent crowd to turn out considering its Tipp's first championship game since winning the All Ireland.

reports outta cork saying they've only sold 3000 tickets... bad form.

let hope the weather holds out and we get a nice day sunday, should draw a few more on the day.

what kind of numbers do ye reckon our crowd will bring?

you know what, the lack of advertising for the game is shocking!

ormond lad wrote: »
    The Tipperary Intermediate hurling team to play Cork on Sunday at 1.45pm in Semple Stadium

The Tipperary Intermediate hurling team to play Cork on Sunday at 1.45pm in Semple Stadium includes George Hannigan and Philip Austin, both of whom played against Kerry in the Munster senior football championship last weekend, former senior hurling panellists Alan Byrnes, Thomas Stapleton, Daragh Hickey and Evan Sweeney, and goalkeeper from last year’s All Ireland under-21 winning team, James Logue. The team is captained by 2006 All Ireland minor winning captain, Joey McLoughney from Toomevara.
    1. James Logue (Ballingarry)
    2. Alan Byrnes (Shannon Rovers)
    3. George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers)
    4. Kevin Maher (Lorrha and Dorrha)
    5. Joey McLoughney (Toomevara) Captain
    6. Tomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    7. Ronan Sherlock (Silvermines)
    8. Johnny Ryan (Drom and Inch)
    9. Paudie O’Dwyer ( Éire Óg Annacarty Donohill)
    10. Daragh Hickey (Boherlahan Dualla)
    11. Willie O’Dwyer (Carrick Davins)
    12. Philip Austin (Borrisokane)
    13. Evan Sweeney (Loughmore-Castleiney)
    14. Philip Ivors (Ballingarry)
    15. Ray McLoughney (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    http://tipptatler.ie/

thanks ormond lad... very strong team there!!

let hope the weather holds out and we get a nice day sunday, should draw a few more on the day.

30,000 is all I'd say.

The thing is there Will, how many season ticket holders do they have? i expect a decent turnout. perhaps not a full house but a good crowd none the less.

Strong intermediate team indeed. I rate James Logue highly and was surprised he didnt get a run out in the league but i think when Brendan Cummins decides to retire he will get a run out. He will probably be no2 behind Darren Gleeson who is a good goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭windowlicker

I have an invitation for the Tipperary GAA Supporters evening in Coppingers on thursday 7.30, but cant make it. If anyone wants it send me on your email.

I rate James Logue highly and was surprised he didnt get a run out in the league but i think when Brendan Cummins decides to retire he will get a run out. He will probably be no2 behind Darren Gleeson who is a good goalkeeper.

Either Logue or Matthew Ryan definitely should be brought in, Darren Gleeson is only a year or two younger than Cummins so when Cummins retires Gleeson will be almost near retirement aswell.

Either Logue or Matthew Ryan definitely should be brought in, Darren Gleeson is only a year or two younger than Cummins so when Cummins retires Gleeson will be almost near retirement aswell.

I thought Darren had only turned 30 in March?

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/senior-hurling-player-profiles

Your right about trying out different goalkeepers and most importantly younger goalkeepers though.
    Both Brendan and Darren are great goalies imo but its unfair to expect them to commit every year when in truth, definitely one of them and probably both of them have bigger priorities in life to balance with the hurling at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Lads also have invite to the supporters night tonight and can't make it PM me with your email addy if you want it

I thought Darren had only turned 30 in March?

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/senior-hurling-player-profiles

Your right about trying out different goalkeepers and most importantly younger goalkeepers though.
    Both Brendan and Darren are great goalies imo but its unfair to expect them to commit every year when in truth, definitely one of them and probably both of them have bigger priorities in life to balance with the hurling at this stage.

Yeah Darren is thirty, but I reckon Cummins will give it another year or two so Darren would be 32 trying to establish himself as an intercounty keeper with little or no championship experience, personally I just think its a bit shortsighted, not many play to the age Brendan is.

I rate Gleeson very highly but I feel we would be better served developing a younger guy who will without sounding too ruthless be a better investment in the long term.

Yeah Darren is thirty, but I reckon Cummins will give it another year or two so Darren would be 32 trying to establish himself as an intercounty keeper with little or no championship experience, personally I just think its a bit shortsighted, not many play to the age Brendan is.

I rate Gleeson very highly but I feel we would be better served developing a younger guy who will without sounding too ruthless be a better investment in the long term.

Exactly. To be honest Brendan should have only been put in sticks the last two games of the league and try out other goalkeepers for the first 5 and the Waterford crystal cup (although we only got one game in that :)).

team announced folks...

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)

3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)

4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)

5. David Young (Toomevara)

6. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

7. John O’Keeffe (Clonoulty Rossmore)

8. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)

9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

10. Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch)

11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

12. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)

13. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Captain

14. John O’Brien (Toomevara)

15. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

team announced folks...

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)

3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)

4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)

5. David Young (Toomevara)

6. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

7. John O’Keeffe (Clonoulty Rossmore)

8. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)

9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

10. Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch)

11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

12. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)

13. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Captain

14. John O’Brien (Toomevara)

15. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

Great to see Bonnar back and hopefully he will stop Gardiner from launching the long balls up the park but whats up with Conor O'Mahony? Is he injured or has he been dropped?

Advertising has been nothing short of a disgrace for this one, if your not in either county then you dont know this game is even happening!

• Advertisement

Advertising has been nothing short of a disgrace for this one, if your not in either county then you dont know this game is even happening!

The GAA think marketing is just a foreign concept just like the competing sports. Apart from Dublin the GAA is years behind its counterparts.

I think to be honest if tickets cannot be sold the GAA could further its commitment to weaker counties by selling to primary schools in Longford, Cavan ,Roscommon etc at a discount rate and i think if the sponsors would fund bus costs like Cadbury's did it might be worth more to the GAA in terms of promoting the game than cold hard cash going in to more than likely a black hole.

Advertisement