Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tipp won it handy in the end although i admit i lost track of the score but according to Premierview the final score was 4-24 to 2-17. Some good performances from Bubbles at wing fwd, Aidan McCormack in the corner, Paddy Murphy at number 11, Brian Stapleton at midfield.

EDIT: Very small crowd at it but it wasnt highly promoted and was free in.

Is Brian Stapleton Paddy's brother? Just curious.

Could be Tommy's brother as he is from the Templederry club

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tomas's younger brother, very fine hurler. Paddy is from Borrisleigh, the two lads are from Templederry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fantastic result for the minor footballers today.

Tipperary 3:11 Cork 1:09

Munster Champions 2011

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Fantastic result for the minor footballers today.

Tipperary 3:11 Cork 1:09

Munster Champions 2011

Indeed its great stuff. This is a very good young Tipp team having previously coming back from the dead to beat Kerry. Who is next for Tipp in quarters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Indeed its great stuff. This is a very good young Tipp team having previously coming back from the dead to beat Kerry. Who is next for Tipp in quarters?
    Loser of meath and dublin, which is on next week in croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Disappointing exit from the footballers last night. It was always going to be tough in Laois but we got a bit of a hiding in the end. Few eejits calling for Evans head on premierview which is bad form completely.

Was listening to commentary on Tipp FM and i have to say while i have nothing personal against Walty or Paddy their standard of commentary was absolutely horrendous stuff. Surely to god the listening public deserve better.

Players have no time for Evans, he's full of **** and the dogs on the street will tell you that. His tactics are shocking and TIPP are really underachieving on the football field. Definitely time for a change.

daddydick wrote: »
    Players have no time for Evans, he's full of **** and the dogs on the street will tell you that. His tactics are shocking and TIPP are really underachieving on the football field. Definitely time for a change.

Seamus McCarthy winning the Tommy Murphy with us back in 2005 aside, we havent won anything of any notoriety in decades with any other manager then Evans who won the under 21 Munster title in 2010 and the Div 3 title vs Down in 09 as well as promotion in 2008 so i think you are being a tad harsh on him in saying we are underachieving with him.

I can remember not so long ago no decent manager wanting the Tipperary football job. John Owens only lasted a year after Seamus McCarthy left the job. Andy Shortall walked over the county board refusing to call off club games his panel members were involved in back in 2004 and the panel gave Fermanagh a walkover.
    Tom McGlinchey before him was unlucky in 2002 when we came within a hares breath of winning the Munster senior title but he wouldn't take them any further after 2003.
    I think some of the players are getting a bit big in themselves when they are putting the blame on the managers door. It was hardly the juiciest job in the land when Evans took over. Yes there was underage coming through but Tipp have often let underage go to rot in the big ball game despite having the talent.
    Dont forget Evans has done alot with Laune Rangers also

Munster Minor football Champions 2011

Tipperary, a proper GAA county!!!! ;)

531941.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Fantastic win !! Congrats to all involved with the Tipp Minors.

• Advertisement

Raymie Ryan was said to have dropped Liam McGrath as he committed himself to both minor panels yet his chances of a minor hurling medal went out the window last friday night but here today he led the Tipperary football team to claim a munster title and a medal for himself. The Irony eh!

Tipp team for Sunday (announced earlier than usual)
    Cummins
    Saint
    Curran
    Cahill

John O Keeffe
    COM
    Paudie Maher

Shane Mc Grath
    Gar Ryan

Callinan
    Noel Mc Grath
    Bonnar

Kelly
    JOB
    Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

announced early indeed. can't remember the last time a team was announced on tuesday evening.

I hope Brendan gets some game time if he is fit, we will need him for bigger games (hopefully) when they come!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Raymie Ryan was said to have dropped Liam McGrath as he committed himself to both minor panels yet his chances of a minor hurling medal went out the window last friday night but here today he led the Tipperary football team to claim a munster title and a medal for himself. The Irony eh!

In all fairness Raymie Ryan was given a directive of doing the best for the Tipp minor hurlers and the well being of the footballers were not hes concern he was well within hes rights to ask Liam to choose, besides there was far more to that story than he simply dropping him, and the head of football in Tipp, John Evans has plenty of previous in this Sean Carey was asked last year to pick the senior Footballers or u-21 hurlers and picked the hurling.

John Meagher who came on last sunday and was instrumental in the win was only called up to the panel when the hurlers were knocked out, i.e. he wasnt considered because he was on the hurling panel, there is an issue here I fully agree with you, but I think it is unfair and inaccurate to paint Raymie Ryan as the villan.

In all fairness Raymie Ryan was given a directive of doing the best for the Tipp minor hurlers and the well being of the footballers were not hes concern he was well within hes rights to ask Liam to choose, besides there was far more to that story than he simply dropping him, and the head of football in Tipp, John Evans has plenty of previous in this Sean Carey was asked last year to pick the senior Footballers or u-21 hurlers and picked the hurling.

John Meagher who came on last sunday and was instrumental in the win was only called up to the panel when the hurlers were knocked out, i.e. he wasnt considered because he was on the hurling panel, there is an issue here I fully agree with you, but I think it is unfair and inaccurate to paint Raymie Ryan as the villan.

Fair enough i take your point that it is occurring from both sides of the fence. i think its unfortunate that it is happening from the football side as they should be grateful to have anyone willing on board and especially of the calibre of Sean Carey.
    The current situation in Limerick is unfair on the players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Was hoping B. Maher would be fit to start but happy with the team picked, lets just hope the result goes our way. Waterford will be pretty determined this weekend after the result last August and no one giving them too big a chance on Sunday despite them being reigning Munster champs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

OAOB wrote: »
    Was hoping B. Maher would be fit to start but happy with the team picked, lets just hope the result goes our way. Waterford will be pretty determined this weekend after the result last August and no one giving them too big a chance on Sunday despite them being reigning Munster champs

Yes, remember the Munster final in 2002, the last time Tipp were reigning all-Ireland champions?

It was the same day as the Brazil-Germany World Cup final and I'll never forget the massively over-confident shiite being spouted by some of my fellow Tipp fans as we watched Ronaldo on the big screen in a Cork pub beforehand.

And they turned us over in 1998 as well, with Tipp also having played in the previous year's All-Ireland.

And need I mention the All-Ireland semi in 2008??

One more example in the last few years - anyone care to impress us with the year and stage of the Championship? :)

jprboy wrote: »
    Yes, remember the Munster final in 2002, the last time Tipp were reigning all-Ireland champions?

It was the same day as the Brazil-Germany World Cup final and I'll never forget the massively over-confident shiite being spouted by some of my fellow Tipp fans as we watched Ronaldo on the big screen in a Cork pub beforehand.

And they turned us over in 1998 as well, with Tipp also having played in the previous year's All-Ireland.

And need I mention the All-Ireland semi in 2008??

One more example in the last few years - anyone care to impress us with the year and stage of the Championship? :)

I remember all them games and also the one in 2004 and 2006 where we were beaten by only a point or two. Hurling fans in general have memories like goldfish. Im confident Tipp can win Sunday without totally dismissing the obvious threat of Waterford. To be honest sites like that premierview are serving Tipp hurling no good whatsoever if certain gobsh*tes are bad mouthing and writing off other counties. The people who actually genuinely support Tipp hurling and who bother to attend these games are a little more measured in their opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

As a follow-on to the above, see below which is taken from the Tipp Gaa website at:

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/latestnews/munsterhurlingfinal-tipperaryvwaterford

Snippets
    History and all of that – 2002 v 2011
    In 2002 Tipperary were defending All Ireland Champions, but didn’t reach the NHL Final. In 2011 they missed out on the Allianz League final.
    In 2002 Tipperary were managed by an All Ireland winning forward (Nicky English) from the West Division, who was on the 1989 and 1991 winning teams. In 2011 Declan Ryan fits the same description.
    In 2002 the Tipp Manager had a contemporary playing colleague with him from North Tipperary (Ken Hogan), along with a slightly older selector from Mid Tipp (Jack Bergin), who had also played championship hurling for Tipperary. In 2011 Tommy Dunne and Michael Gleeson fit the same criteria respectively.
    In 2002 Tipperary played two games to reach the Munster Final. In 2011 they have done the same.
    In 2002 Clare played well against Tipp, but Eoin Kelly’s first half goal turned the game around. Eoin was also top scorer for Tipp in their first championship game. In 2011 the same happened.
    In 2002 Brendan Cummins was in the Tipp goal and made a vital first half save against Clare. In 2011 he did it again.
    In 2002 Waterford had a Manager who was a native on another county. In 2011, the same holds true.
    In 2002 Waterford won their Munster Semi Final, at Semple Stadium, by one point, on a wet day. In 2011 they did the same.
    In 2002 The Munster Final was played in Cork. In 2011 it is also in Cork.
    In 2002 A Leinster referee was appointed to take charge. In 2011 a Leinster referee has been appointed to take charge.
    In 2002 Waterford won the game with a late scoring burst. In 2011 ?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Happy Days. And im living in the heart of Waterford. Tis great , all the miserable heads.!

• Advertisement

Tipp were unreal today, absolutely phenomenal and will be very hard to live with on that performance. Lar, need i say more......4-4.....Magic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Ah in fairness lads, only for the 7 goals, waterford would have drawn with us.:D:D

That was a great viewing. An absolute pleasure to see the Tipperary hurling machine in full flow. Just some quick reflections. Corbett was outstanding, a beast of a player. He's so calm and relaxed, it's like he has ice in his veins. He made Hennessy look like a newbie to hurling. Eoin Kelly was excellent too. The forwards shredded Waterford's "defense".

A lot of players put in great shifts. Paudie Maher played well, and is consistent. Micheal Curran was quiet but there wasn't much his way, and Cahill played good. Stapleton seemed to manage Mullane well but looked shaky at times I felt, but Mullane was a non-factor. Shane McGrath is a sight to behold and was a joy through the air. Special mention to Bonnar-Maher, I loved watching him. He's very unselfish and puts the team forward. His passes for the goals were great and if the game had an assist marker, he'd be leading the team no doubt.

Credit to Cummins too, equalling Ring's record.

Onwards and upwards!

Some demolition job on the blahs yesterday. Lar is a goal machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

tippspur wrote: »
    Some demolition job on the blahs yesterday. Lar is a goal machine.

Any thoughts on why its taken him till so late in his career to show his class? He's been banging around for a while now. Maybe just a late bloomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Any thoughts on why its taken him till so late in his career to show his class? He's been banging around for a while now. Maybe just a late bloomer.

1) Injuries
    2) Babs

Just a heads up to supporters. The Tipperary Senior panel are training in the Gaelic Grounds in Clonmel (opposite the hospital) on the 22nd of July. I'm not 100% sure of the date but I'll report back if it's wrong. One of the local news papers advertised it. I'll be popping along.

Lar was always a brilliant sticksman and dont forget he played very well in the 01 final but essentially i think all he needed was to bulk up a bit. Would the Lar Corbett of 2001 outmuscle Noel Hickey to a ball like he did in last years final? i think we know the answer to that one is most certainly not.

jprboy wrote: »
    As a follow-on to the above, see below which is taken from the Tipp Gaa website at:

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/latestnews/munsterhurlingfinal-tipperaryvwaterford

Snippets
    History and all of that – 2002 v 2011
    In 2002 Tipperary were defending All Ireland Champions, but didn’t reach the NHL Final. In 2011 they missed out on the Allianz League final.
    In 2002 Tipperary were managed by an All Ireland winning forward (Nicky English) from the West Division, who was on the 1989 and 1991 winning teams. In 2011 Declan Ryan fits the same description.
    In 2002 the Tipp Manager had a contemporary playing colleague with him from North Tipperary (Ken Hogan), along with a slightly older selector from Mid Tipp (Jack Bergin), who had also played championship hurling for Tipperary. In 2011 Tommy Dunne and Michael Gleeson fit the same criteria respectively.
    In 2002 Tipperary played two games to reach the Munster Final. In 2011 they have done the same.
    In 2002 Clare played well against Tipp, but Eoin Kelly’s first half goal turned the game around. Eoin was also top scorer for Tipp in their first championship game. In 2011 the same happened.
    In 2002 Brendan Cummins was in the Tipp goal and made a vital first half save against Clare. In 2011 he did it again.
    In 2002 Waterford had a Manager who was a native on another county. In 2011, the same holds true.
    In 2002 Waterford won their Munster Semi Final, at Semple Stadium, by one point, on a wet day. In 2011 they did the same.
    In 2002 The Munster Final was played in Cork. In 2011 it is also in Cork.
    In 2002 A Leinster referee was appointed to take charge. In 2011 a Leinster referee has been appointed to take charge.
    In 2002 Waterford won the game with a late scoring burst. In 2011 ?????

In 2011 Tipperary tonk Waterford out the gate thus history is rewritten. ;)

• Advertisement

The Tipperary under 21 hurling team to play Cork in the Munster semi-final at Semple Stadium on Friday night, July 17 shows 2 changes from the team which started against Waterford in the quarter final. Sean O’Brien and Kieran Morris come into the team in place of Stephen Maher and Joe Gallagher.

The team is:

1. Paul Ryan (Upperchurch Drombane) 2. Ciarán Hough (Lorrha and Dorrha) 3. Kevin O’Gorman (Thurles Sarsfields) 4. Sean O’Brien (Newport) 5. Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons) 6. Padraig Heffernan (Clonoulty Rossmore) 7. James Barry (Upperchurch Drombane) 8. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney) Captain 9. Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons) 10. Sean Curran (Mullinahone) 11. Paddy Murphy (Nenagh Éire Óg) 12. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs) 13. Kieran Morris (Moycarkey Borris) 14. John O’Neill (Clonoulty Rossmore) 15. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)

Advertisement