Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in the Solar System??

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I've just been sitting in silence by the light of my open fire and thinking of places I'd love to visit in the Solar System and thought I'd throw out the question, if you had one chance to stand anywhere in this little system of ours, where would you go?

I think I would have to go to the Valles Marineris on Mars and stand at the edge of a 10km high cliff. My only regret being I wouldn't be able to sit down and have a fag while enjoying the view. :D

PS, I came across this site looking for the spelling of "Valles Marineris", pretty classy, some nice holiday destinations in there. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'd like to stand on the summit of Olympus Mons, or watch a planet rise of Jupiter from one of its moons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'd love to do a bit of ice fishing on Europa then maybe land on an asteroids moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Plug wrote: »
    maybe land on an asteroids moon.

Now thats one I've never thought of. I can imagine sitting there with a large rock floating close by overhead, very nice indeed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

A trip on a comet to visit the total expanse of the solar system would be plesing, especilly if it ventures as far out as the Oort cloud. Mind you it may take some time, so a packed lunch is essential.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

Plug wrote: »
    I'd love to do a bit of ice fishing on Europa then maybe land on an asteroids moon.

All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there :)

...but I would probably join you.

I love the theory that the ice sheet which seals the entire planet is in effect a type of protective atmosphere...under which exists life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Gotta be standing on voyager looking back for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Gotta be standing on voyager looking back for me!

Is that the one that was launched in the mid 70's?

It must have left our solar system at this stage.

fat__tony wrote: »
    Is that the one that was launched in the mid 70's?

It must have left our solar system at this stage.
    Thats the one. :D
    It's now over 10 billion miles from The Sun, it's presently crossing the edge of the solar system and should reach interstellar space in about 4 years.
    Go Voyager.
    Linky.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Wow,I love that link OP,fantastic. As a Piscean,that's nectar for me,day dreaming away! I think it would have to a stopover on Enceladus then a magical mystery tour of a black hole followed(hopefully i'd survive) by a comet trip.Heading to Castlebar in a week just doesn't have the same ring..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 frostfright

cool link, would love to visit Io.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

RichieC wrote: »
    ...watch a planet rise of Jupiter from one of its moons :)
    I was thinkin about watching the earth rise from the moon, and thinking that the earth is always in the same place in the sky from the moon, because its tidally locked, or whatever.
    (Must look up where to buy land on the moon, with the best view of the earth,, thinkin of the grand-kids, hate to buy it in the center of the moon as we look at it, only to have to look straight up to see earth)

I was thinkin about watching the earth rise from the moon, and thinking that the earth is always in the same place in the sky from the moon, because its tidally locked, or whatever.
    (Must look up where to buy land on the moon, with the best view of the earth,, thinkin of the grand-kids, hate to buy it in the center of the moon as we look at it, only to have to look straight up to see earth)
    Because of the Moons libration if you picked the right spot on the "edge" of the moon you could indeed see the Earth rise and set as the Moon wobbles around in its orbit. (I never thought of that before). :D
    This narrow band could become "prime property", I see good investment potential there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

On the shoulder of Orion, or Tannhauser Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

ill follow the starchild wherever he may be.
    Id love to stand on olympus mons and see the earth with its satellites flying around it like flies. or have a toke on saturns rings viewing jupiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain....
    Time to die."

Advertisement