Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year leases

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at renting apartments on daft.
    I still see "1 year lease" etc all over the place.
    But if i stayed for only 3 months say, don't i just have to give 1 month notice to protect my deposit/not incur a penalty.

It used to be 6 months stay was minimum (to avoid penalty) but wasn't there legislation last year saying 1 month's notice is all that's required.
    Can someone clarify this for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If a lease doesn't have a break clause the terms of the lease supercede any tenancy legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

If you sign a 1 year lease, then you have to stay for the full year or find another tenant who will take over the lease when you want to leave. If you leave before the year is up without finding another tenant, the landlord can persue you for the lease.

To be honest, the one year lease on advertisements is one of those standard things they put on them. I wouldn't let that put you off and ring anyway. They might be glad of a good 3 month tenant in an empty place

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Best thing is to call the agent/landlord, request a 3 or 6 month break clause and then you are covered.

Depending on the area, the landlord might be under pressure to rent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I spoke to a solicitor about this a year ago and she reliably informed me that one months notice was sufficient even if you'd signed a years lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

mathie wrote: »
    I spoke to a solicitor about this a year ago and she reliably informed me that one months notice was sufficient even if you'd signed a years lease.

The law says you are wrong, as long as the lease you signed is a Fixed Term lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

mathie wrote: »

Was it a solicitor who specializes in tenancy law? There are many different types of tenancy and the law is different for each.

Advertisement