Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Hyperventilating

• 07-03-2011 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

My dog hyperventilates when I leave him in the kitchen. This is where he sleeps and stays when there is noone home. HJe often does it to such an extent that the whole floor is covered in droplets of saliva. I think iot is because he is very much a lapdog and always in need of human attentionso therefore freaks out when left "in the dog house" so to speak. Any thoughts on the matter would be useful. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Is he hyperventilating or reverse sneezing?

This is reverse sneezing ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_qBRTDlnns&feature=related

Reverse sneezing can be stress induced, due to excitement or for no apparent reason. Certain breeds are more prone to it than others (short nosed breeds in particular) and it is not dangerous. The poor dog can get themselves into a panic and make it worse, but if you hold their muzzle with their nose facing the floor for a few seconds it will stop it. If it is very common and problematic, you may need to get your dogs throat checked at the vets to make sure their pallet is not causing an obstruction.

Advertisement