Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Side of Oz

Options
  • 07-03-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

Not sure if any of you have seen this. It is fantastic.

The Dark Side of the Moon was based on the Wizard of Oz. This video is the music superimposed on the movie. It works so well.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2Lm3nx/vimeo.com/333721

I knew it was based on the movie - never ever dawned on me to see watch/listen to the two of them together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    The Dark Side of the Moon was based on the Wizard of Oz.

:rolleyes: FFS .... dont be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Its probably better to just watch the film on DVD and put on the CD rather than watch the 'synced' version. I have done it a few times, and it seemed to match up in different ways. The first time, I swear the Lion danced perfectly in time with Money :P. I saw one of those pre-synced up versions before like the one you linked to and that one was edited slightly to make it sync more. Kinda pointless since its just a bit of a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It definitely wasn't based on it. They have no affiliation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow
    Pink Floyd band members have repeatedly insisted that the reputed phenomenon is coincidence. In an interview for the 25th anniversary of the album, guitarist/vocalist David Gilmour denied that the album was intentionally written to be synchronized with Oz, saying "Some guy with too much time on his hands had this idea of combining Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon."[3]
    On an MTV special about Pink Floyd in 2002, the band dismissed any relationship between the album and the movie, saying that there were no means of reproducing the film in the studio at the time they recorded the album.
    In a 2003 interview with Rolling Stone, Dark Side of the Moon engineer Alan Parsons said of the supposed effect:
    "It was an American radio guy who pointed it out to me. It's such a non-starter, a complete load of eyewash. I tried it for the first time about two years ago. One of my fiancee's kids had a copy of the video, and I thought I had see what it was all about. I was very disappointed. The only thing I noticed was that the line "balanced on the biggest wave" came up when Dorothy was kind of tightrope walking along a fence. One of the things any audio professional will tell you is that the scope for the drift between the video and the record is enormous; it could be anything up to twenty seconds by the time the record's finished. And anyway, if you play any record with the sound turned down on the TV, you will find things that work." [8]
    On the cover of the band's 1995 live album Pulse, a bike with a basket on it and a girl with ruby slippers can be seen in the background, both references to The Wizard of Oz. Some fans have construed this as the band subtly confirming the theory.
    Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason stated categorically to MTV in 1997, "It's absolute nonsense. It has nothing to do with The Wizard of Oz. It was all based on The Sound Of Music."[9

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Was just looking for some more movies that 'match' up to albums. Came across this site* which sells dvds of movies synced to albums. Who the f*ck would buy that?

*For anyone who clicks the link, the site auto plays some sort of radio segment about Dark Side of Oz.

Advertisement