Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite dishes being installed on other areas of a house? (side/halfway)

• 07-03-2011 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Was walking through an estate the other day and noticed alot of free sat/free to air satellites installed on either the side of houses or halfway up a house (above the sitting room window and below the a bedroom type of fixture) ... as opposed to on the chimley stack.

Is this the new standard thing or something? Health and safety as opposed to going on roofs? :confused:

Just curious :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV aerial signals are "horizontal" so you need the Chimney to get clear signal.

Satellite is 36,000km above the equator @ 28E. We are 5W to 10W approx at 52N, so path is about 39,000km and elevation is about 22 to 23 degrees. Many places the dish would work on the Ground.

Most dishes on chimneys should not be there. Makes access poor for replacement of cables, LNB or repainting dish.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Was walking through an estate the other day and noticed alot of free sat/free to air satellites installed on either the side of houses or halfway up a house (above the sitting room window and below the a bedroom type of fixture) ... as opposed to on the chimley stack.

Is this the new standard thing or something? Health and safety as opposed to going on roofs? :confused:

About 75% of satellite dishes installed in since Sky changed to digital back in 2000 are installed 3/4 way up on walls of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

had a Sky dish put on roof a few years ago and then a year later the Sky service Guy said they could not go up on the roof to fix it. I made a bracket and refitted it at gutter level on rear of house. It has worked well with my Humax and Fortec Sat boxes since. lately I am getting a intermittent pixilation when there is a high wind as is today. I am thinking of fitting a bottom and side stay to the rim of the dish to stop the visible shake on it in high winds. Has anybody else done this . I presume it won't effect the reception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vdubber9411

Yeah Chimneys, why? Because it looks prettier! They don't need to be on a chimney, a dish acts like a kite and makes a chimney unstable as do great big daft aerials. I went to a relatively new house, customer had insisted on the dish being on the chimney as it was more asthetiacally pleasing (if thats how you spell it) Chimney had a massive crack around the base and when I started to take the bolts out it almost toppled over and would have taken me with it.

I HATE ROOFS:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

LighterGuy wrote: »

total stupidity unless no line of sight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vdubber9411

haymur wrote: »
    had a Sky dish put on roof a few years ago and then a year later the Sky service Guy said they could not go up on the roof to fix it. I made a bracket and refitted it at gutter level on rear of house. It has worked well with my Humax and Fortec Sat boxes since. lately I am getting a intermittent pixilation when there is a high wind as is today. I am thinking of fitting a bottom and side stay to the rim of the dish to stop the visible shake on it in high winds. Has anybody else done this . I presume it won't effect the reception

I've seen all sorts of methods to stabilise dishes, it can be done, but chances are you just need a new dish. You can home manufactured items as long as they don't get in the way of the LNB or affect the curviture of the dish you should be fine! Have fun.

Advertisement