Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Browser

Options
  • 07-03-2011 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,321 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what's the best browser to use?

I got a new pc and with it came a host of different browsers from opera to lunascape to choose from

I dislike firefox and Chrome so ill be giving them a miss

The lesser know ones are
    Maxthon
    Advant
    SRWare
    K-Meleon
    Flashpeak
    Flock

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lynx ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Opera, firefox, chrome. Hate IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Opera, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This is continuously changing as one browser becomes more or less stable.. I ditched Firefox for a while (when I had issues with flash plugins continually crashing), and went to Google Chrome.. but I'm back with Firefox again, having removed the old version fully and installed the latest version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Using IE9 at the moment. Fast and clean - no problems. The other browser I have used without frustration is Opera. Chrome and Firefox both managed to wind me up and get dumped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Iron browser, its a version of chrome ,with better privacy options,on some pcs firefox is more stable,ie flash doesnt crash on it ,i havent used ie9, i just find ie slower than chrome on the pcs i used.but i use pentium 4 pcs,or my laptop core duo 2.oghz.firefox has loads of extensions ,for music ,video etc firefox 4 has hardware acceleration built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

I would go with either Firefox 4 or Chromium.

Chromium is essentially the same as Chrome except without all the tracking stuff included, so it's better privacy wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

firefox is breaking my heart lately. i just dont feel any of the chemistry that we used to have. chrome has been trying to get my attention for a while but i know its just another slut, even if it isn't as filthy as IE8

• Registered Users Posts: 54,321 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I use to be the big fan of the firefox but the 3.6 version was the biggest pile of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Firefox at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Another Opera user here, v11 working great on an elderly P4, no issues.

Funny reading the Firefox comments, it seems to go through phases where it's great, then it's sh!te, great, then sh!te. Is it bloated again, or are peeps just adding extensions (or whatever they call them now) that are bringing it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Opera was developed and is commonly used by members of the hacking community because apparently there are less exploits for it so its deemed
    as the most secure browser, pretty fast too.

I use Google Chrome for the single reason that each tab is its own process, this means that chrome will distribute its load over multiple cores which performs better than a single firefox process running on a single core. Open up a large amount of tabs in both Firefox and Google Chrome and you will see the difference. :)

Some of the Apps for Chrome are really top notch also. Quick note is excellent for syncing notes across multiple platforms and pcs. All from the comfort of your browser....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Chrome for speed, Firefox for add-ons, IE8 no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Biggins wrote: »
    Chrome for speed, Firefox for add-ons, IE8 no thanks.

This. Although I use SRWares Iron. I was running the beta of 4 but it felt like a bloated mess and I hated the new layout of it. So I'm sticking with Iron until Firefox wins me back. Aw.

Also with new versions be sure to update your graphics drivers!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Crashes-Lead-to-Firefox-4-0-Blocklisting-Certain-Graphics-Card-Drivers-188042.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

I'm a firefox fan, in sickness and in health. It's worth noting that if you browse the web in breadth (not just the big-company sites), you'll find that the web in general will work and look best in firefox.

The computer languages that specify how sites look and work aren't at all as standardised as users might imagine (they're kind of based on sugestions and recommendations). Each browser does its own thing, and that leads to compatibility issues. Developers working on smaller sites focus on firefox and IE (that traditionally covered over 90% of users, though that's fallen in last year, but add in chrome and you hit 93% at the moment) and other browsers are often ignored or barely tested.

So my point: Firefox is the darling of website developers because for a long time it has implemented more of the 'recommendations and suggestions' for the standard web languages than any other browser, and implemented them better to boot. This allows developers/designers more scope for pushing limits. It also has great ad-ons for developers. Therefore, if you stray off the beaten paths on the web, you might find firefox will give you the best experience.

phew!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Although it's constantly freezing these days I stick with Firefox because no other browser can replicate my setup. I gave Chrome a chance for a week but no amount of fiddling could make it usable. It was nice and responsive, I'll give it that, but had so many downsides. I can't remember why I stopped using Opera...

edit: how do you import bookmarks into Opera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Well use to pay for Opera but after the 21st century Opera became free and Opera get upgrade every month with new browser. Opera is fastest and safest browser around. Opera 11 has turbo speeds to increase downloads & uploads and you adjust turbo speeds to increase downloads & uploads even faster.

My brother still sleeps around with IE7. I keep telling him to go with her younger sister NOT because he should always be into younger and younger girl... but because 8 is safer, smarter, a multi-tasker. Shame she can't still cook but.

...and now he's eyeing IE9 and she's barely legal?!

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

It's Miley Cyrus all over gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Overheal wrote: »
    My brother still sleeps around with IE7. I keep telling him to go with her younger sister NOT because he should always be into younger and younger girl... but because 8 is safer, smarter, a multi-tasker. Shame she can't still cook but.

...and now he's eyeing IE9 and she's barely legal?!

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

It's Miley Cyrus all over gain.

........................................................what?!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I mainly use Firefox these days

but big fan of Maxthon, always found liked the way it worked and never got overloaded with lots of tabs open (20+)

• Advertisement

IE 9 is only available to vista and windows 7 user and its only beta version which means not full version isnt finish and bugs to be sorted. Beta is like demo or trial version

Xp users cant use iE.

Macs and Linux users cant use microsoft browsers like IE, but firefox, Google chrome and Opera are available on all the OSs and mobile Os users.

while microsoft browsers like IE isn't compatible with androids like smartphones and some netbooks which're linux kernel and same goes for all nintendo gaming consoles, iphones and Ipad cant use microsoft software like IE either

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    IE 9 is only available to vista and windows 7 user and its only beta version which means not full version isnt finish and bugs to be sorted. Beta is like demo or trial version
    Its the Release Candidate. RCs are post-beta and in many cases become the release builds give or take minor tweaks.

In this case Microsoft already announced IE9 will have it's official launch next monday, March 19. Not really any time to play around with large changes to the existing RC. If you plan to use it you may as well get your licks in.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/365842/ie9-to-arrive-monday-as-firefox-4-hits-rc

FF4 Release Candidate should be showing up in the next few days. Wasnt thrilled with the Beta, not for bugs but for the interface changes.

firefox 4 is beta version not the full version yet, Beta are similar to trail version or demo

Microsoft already announced IE9 will have it's official for only users on vista and windows 7 only not XP users or older then Xp users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

edit: how do you import bookmarks into Opera?

On v11, Menu>Settings>Import and Export>take your pick of format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Firefox is my choice i really hate internet explorer 8and9 .
    I like firefox mainly for add-ons that you can get for it i always have adblock plus enabled on firefox as annoying pop up ads and just general ads on websites annoy me i tryed to get a blocker for opera but couldnt get one to work so thats opera out the window.
    I do not like firefox beta4 is very buggy and flash crashes alot on it so i went back to firefox 3 to get a stable internet experiance

when download opera 11 which's latest opera outnow there option to import your bookmarks from IE and Firefox during the installation of Opera also ctrl + d is keyboard to import bookmarks into Opera and Firefox, ctrl + J is keyboard to open downloads windows into Opera and Firefox,

But by default firefox bad download option which go striaght downloads folder all the time general user hasnt really got a clue where the downloads folder really is, also when firefox downloads software in2 downloads folder and that has same name idenity code last 1 it'll create duplicate of same software in downloads folder & those duplicates keep growing & growing eventually duplicates fill up your harddrive.

Windows IE9 is microsoft browser which mainly only compatible with PCs and XBOX or XBOX 360 elite or normal but IE 9 microsoft have annouced that only work on vista windows 7 users.

Other users out there that dont have windows 7 or vista have take them into account that IE 9 wont available for them to use and includes Xps users, older windows then XP users, Games Consoles like Wii, PS3 wont have access to microsoft software like IE9.

Macs and Linuxes cant use microsoft browsers like IE, but firefox, Google chrome and Opera are available on all the OSs and mobile Os users.

XBOX 360 might be compatible with IE 9 since microsoft owns it but microsoft havent said that XBOX 360 was compatible with IE yet.

while microsoft browsers like IE isn't compatible with androids like smartphones and some netbooks which're linux kernel and same goes for all nintendo gaming consoles, iphones and Ipad cant use microsoft software like IE either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Firefox.

Simple choice. Currently using the 4 beta.

Firefox is miles ahead of most of the competition. The browsers that are close to Firefox don't do anything differently or better, so I find no reason to switch.

But then again I'm not one to jump on bandwagons (see Chrome and IE9).

• Advertisement

i can see that firefox many advantages over other browsers but is one small problem which advance users / technis / gamers might have capability to change their setup options in firefox by pass all the problems with firefox has but general user wont normally have this knowlodge capability to change their setup options and dont realise that the default is this download option which go striaght downloads folder all the time general user hasnt really got a clue where the downloads folder really is, also when firefox downloads software in2 downloads folder and that has same name idenity code last 1 it'll create duplicate of same software in downloads folder & those duplicates keep growing & growing eventually duplicates fill up your harddrive.

Advertisement