Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling gear in LIDL Monday 14/03/11

• 07-03-2011 9:17am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, linky

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I like what they say about the underwear.......

"Stays in place, even at high speeds" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Jerseys and Gilets are the only thing I think I will be interested in, and maybe some gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

No work stands or sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. Maybe I'm confusing them with Aldi. I'd love to get my hands on a cheap work stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Aldi and lidl often have the same type of stuff the same week but they havent got it up yet .Some good deals there gloves, sock,underware,maybe a spare jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

The Lidl specials *this* Thursday (the 10th) include a very handy little pressure washer for 12 euro - it's intended for watering/fertilising your plants, but I found one of them brilliant when I got one a while back for helping wash the bike. Portable, no need for a hose, and the pressure isn't so strong as to find its way into your bearings: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110310.p.5L_Pressure_Sprayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Last Lidl jersey I got had no waistband gel retaining strip and no extra length in the back. It would therefore ride up at the back. Haven't worn it since I got my new boards jersey last summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Donie75 wrote: »
    No work stands or sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. Maybe I'm confusing them with Aldi. I'd love to get my hands on a cheap work stand.

A mate of mine got this recently, says it's very good - €50 delivered. I'm thinking of ordering one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

The shop was already ransacked by lunchtime last time they had cycle gears in the specials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Anyone experience of the undergarments. I just wear normal boxers at the moment but they crease and chafe and get annoying on longer spins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Have the vest already, very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Are their Aluminium Floor Pumps any good?

I recall bad reviews on the aldi/lidl pumps before, not that that's anything to go by...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

From the stuff I bought in LIDL in the past:

Socks: really comfy.
    Gloves: great.
    Insulated bidon: p1ss poor.

I see Aldi had balaclavas in stock last week: http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16089.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Benbecul97 wrote: »

No they really are not good unless its for a schrader valve - really better off buying a decent track pump in the lbs for twenty quid then buying the crap one in lidl - learn from my mistake

No they really are not good unless its for a schrader valve - really better off buying a decent track pump in the lbs for twenty quid then buying the crap one in lidl - learn from my mistake

Thanks. thats what I thought.

Could you recommend a good track pump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

A mate of mine got this recently, says it's very good - €50 delivered. I'm thinking of ordering one myself.

Thanks for that link half the price of anything else I've seen online so I think I'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Has anyone ever tried the rain jackets - curious to know if they are any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Unisex underwear!! I thought all underwear was unisex. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

studiorat wrote: »
    Unisex underwear!! I thought all underwear was unisex. :cool:

Can't imagine myself in a thong somehow but I could probably do with a bra :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Dammit I just bid/won on one of these yesterday as I couldn't find anything better value with good reviews. Don't s'pose there's anyway to withdraw an ebay offer before you pay, or does that ruin your rating!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

That is exactly the one I bought in Decathalon a few weeks back. Very sturdy. Will hold without wincing the heaviest of bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

g0g wrote: »
    Dammit I just bid/won on one of these yesterday as I couldn't find anything better value with good reviews. Don't s'pose there's anyway to withdraw an ebay offer before you pay, or does that ruin your rating!?

I really hate to add insult to injury, but that looks almost the exact same as the one that Lidl had last year for all of 30 euro, based on what I know of the one I have at home myself. It is a pretty good stand though, by all accounts. To answer your question, once you make a bid that is accepted as a win, you are tied by eBay's T&C's, short of there having been some issue in the listing meaning that it wasn't as described or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

Anyone experience of the undergarments. I just wear normal boxers at the moment but they crease and chafe and get annoying on longer spins...
    yea the underwear is fine I've got plenty of them and they are very comfortable and cheap.....I've bought more expensive ones in bike shops that were supposed to be of good quality that went in the first wash.....
    Boxers ? seriously ? ....ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

It's in the euro rules that you go commando under your bibs/tights ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Have found Aldi's stuff generally much better than Lidl's wares. Pity no cycling shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i got the last lidl pump. fell apart very quickly so prob best to avoid this one as well not sure if it's exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I recently got a BBB one for 24 euro. Good robust pump with good gauge, reads bar(11) and psi(160).

setanta159 wrote: »
    Have found Aldi's stuff generally much better than Lidl's wares. Pity no cycling shorts.

Yeah, I think that the Aldi (Crane) gear is better quality. I would imagine Aldi will have their cycling gear in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Lidl do have cycling shorts next week:
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110314.p.Mens_Cycling_Trousers
    I recently got a BBB one for 24 euro. Good robust pump with good gauge, reads bar(11) and psi(160).

Ok, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You do what now?
    Do you wear boxers under your swimming togs? under your running shorts? in a wet suit? (not that I condone such non cycling related activities).

Don't wear boxers, they'll crease and chafe and get annoying, but you figured that out already. Cycling bibs come as they are to be worn as they are.

Re the pumps, I got the foot pump for my mtb tyres 3 years ago and its still pumping away like a good thing....

You do what now?
    Do you wear boxers under your swimming togs? under your running shorts? in a wet suit? (not that I condone such non cycling related activities).

Don't wear boxers, they'll crease and chafe and get annoying, but you figured that out already. Cycling bibs come as they are to be worn as they are.

jasus, relax. I'm only new to this, this year. obviously i wouldn't wear them swimming , but any other sport I would and do...
    I'll try without today so :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

jasus, relax. I'm only new to this, this year. obviously i wouldn't wear them swimming , but any other sport I would and do...

You have to go commando man!

Choppa_475.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Got the pump last year, still going grand but you just need to be careful taking it on and off the valve. It's only wrecked one tube so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Gillet looks alright for €10. Anybody bought one of them previously? Any good?
    xz wrote: »
    It's in the euro rules that you go commando under your bibs/tights ;)

Probably breaking Euro rules by wearing Lidl gear too though eh! :P

I have a Lidl gilet (not necessarily identical) at home, and the only reason it doesn't get wear is the fact that it's way too big on me, and would be flapping around like a tent! I fully intend picking one up when they come in if I can get one in my size (probably about 2 sizes smaller than what I already have!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I agree with bitemybanger, got the same BBB track pump for around the twenty euro mark - excellent no problems and very reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

:D

Commando, apart from this

It will change your life.

daragh_ wrote: »
    :D

Commando, apart from this

It will change your life.

About the only assos product I can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tommyadams

About the only assos product I can afford.
    Just saw this over on epic mtb http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/index.html?action=search&searchtype=brandID&quicksearch=520&p_start=0&sortType=&submit=erm
    Easier on the pocket than Assos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Tommyadams wrote: »

Why.. oh why you had to do this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ah Cookie I didn't mean it like that, I was going for sarcasm with a hint of irony. You don't wear boxers running though do you, do you not find they crease and chafe and get annoying???

See what I did there:p

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phil2me

Lads, anyone recommend a good chain cleaner, I bought one in Aldi or Lidl before and it kinda fell apart after a few uses, need something a bit sturdier....

Phil2me wrote: »
    Lads, anyone recommend a good chain cleaner, I bought one in Aldi or Lidl before and it kinda fell apart after a few uses, need something a bit sturdier....

I haven't personally used this one, but I've seen/heard it get glowing reviews: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8207

Some people recommend using a chain with a quick link (if it's an option for your setup), so that you can remove it and immerse it in a bottle with some degreaser either, followed by a quick brush. Supposedly does a good job too.

As another option, I recently picked up a can of Fenwick's foaming degreaser from Cycle Superstore, and when used as in the below video, I have to say it left my chain and cassette pretty clean, without too much effort or mess. Handling the chain, it still had dirt on it that rubbed off onto my hands, but to be honest I think the chain I have at the moment might be beyond ever getting completely clean!

Ah Cookie I didn't mean it like that, I was going for sarcasm with a hint of irony. You don't wear boxers running though do you, do you not find they crease and chafe and get annoying???

See what I did there:p

yeah, I would but don't run cos it messes my knee up.
    Anyway tried it out and worked well today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Probably breaking Euro rules by wearing Lidl gear too though eh! :P
    I have the gilet from about two years ago use it all the time find it warm and very big back pocket with zip only thing i dont like is its all black for winter riding would prefer a bit brighter to be seen or more reflective only has a tiny strip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I have one of these. It's small but does the job perfectly well & is still in one piece.
    I didn't buy it as part of that kit shown. I bought it seperately for around €20 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Needed a saddle bag but Im not putting that horrible looking yoke on my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've been using this one for the last year. Still working fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭smok

yeah mine is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭smok

Donie75 wrote: »

How cheap is a cheap workstand?

• Advertisement
Advertisement