Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling gear in LIDL Monday 14/03/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

hi lads new to cycling so dont really have any of the gear i assume the Lidl stuff would be worthwhile for a beginner like myself, clothes wise especially

i have a number of under armour tops from GAA but the gillet thing looks handy to have too especially with the inclement weather. Would you wear a cycling jersey under the gillet then??

Do people recommend a rain jacket also or should I just avoid cycling when its wet?!
    Also i presume the cycling pants/shorts would have some sort of padding, being saddle sore isnt too appealing!!

Regarding the shorts i would feel too comfortable (or look to clever i'm sure) in the skin tight gear only would lads wear looser shorts over the shorts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

slingerz, if your just getting started, and you dont want to shell out lots of €, then the Lidl gear is fine.

Yeah you could wear a cycling jersey under the gilet. With that and a base layer three layers would be fine for the spring.

Regarding the rain jacket I would go for something that can be folded up nice and small and can fit in your cycling shirt pocket. In Ireland its hard to avoid showers!

Yes the shorts will have padding and No people dont wear looser sorts over them. Its lycra in all its glory!

Keep an eye out for Aldi (Crane) gear too. I would imagine it will be available in the next 2 to 3 weeks. In my opinion its better quality than the Lidl (Crivit) gear. A set of gear in each shop will only set you back 20-30 euro so buy both sets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Slingerz, pick up the stuff in aldi and lidl when you can, with the exception of the shorts. Buy decent ones from a well known brand, you'll be grateful for them!

sound for the advice lads i'll check out both lidl and aldi for the gear alright!

not sure on the lyrca bit dont want others to feel intimidated ya know!

might check the local heatons sportsworld to see if they have any decent cycling gear for relatively cheap!

where do you get the boards jerseys from!?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    slingerz, if your just getting started, and you dont want to shell out lots of €, then the Lidl gear is fine.

Keep an eye out for Aldi (Crane) gear too. I would imagine it will be available in the next 2 to 3 weeks. In my opinion its better quality than the Lidl (Crivit) gear. A set of gear in each shop will only set you back 20-30 euro so buy both sets!

+1 I got a couple of the Crane cycling jackets and have to say theyre very good. breathable but warm and windproof, no bad stitching or zips and well made pockets. keep an eye out for the aldi deals which should be around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

smok wrote: »
    yeah mine is brilliant
    the lidl floor pump is not good - mine lasted about 4/5 months last time - the metal is v weak and the bit where the base joins the stem breaks after a bit of use. I got a footpump there once also - this never worked! (lesson learned - spent 30 quid elsewhere for a decent pump which i expect to last until give up this aul game..)
    NB - ive got the lidl rain jacket which has been excellent, no sign of wear or tear after a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

slingerz wrote: »
    where do you get the boards jerseys from!?

Usually when there's enough interest we do a group buy but somebody has to volunteer to organise it.
    Are you volunteering? ;)

Usually when there's enough interest we do a group buy but somebody has to volunteer to organise it.
    Are you volunteering? ;)

ha i think i better leave that to someone more experienced than I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

ha i think i better leave that to someone more experienced than I!
    Haha, anybody "more experienced" knows better than to volunteer! Also, they already have their kit, so haven't the same incentive as you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

might check the local heatons sportsworld to see if they have any decent cycling gear for relatively cheap!

The heatons gear actually looks pretty decent but the sizing is way to large. The small was too loose fitting for my liking and most of my cycling gear is a medium. Probably ok if you are of a larger build or don't mind your gear being baggy.

cython wrote: »
    Haha, anybody "more experienced" knows better than to volunteer! Also, they already have their kit, so haven't the same incentive as you ;)

Not volunteering!
    But who is the manufacturer of the Boards kit?
    What is the quality like and what are the prices like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Not volunteering!
    But who is the manufacturer of the Boards kit?
    What is the quality like and what are the prices like?

It's in the Wiki

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Boards.ie_cycling_jersey

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Order_Process_for_the_Boards_Jersey

Carvalho have the artwork for all the bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Sorry for the shameless plug but I'm selling a Boards "Old Design" jersey and bib-shorts on Cycling Adverts if you're interested. (And you're around a small/medium size) :)

Picked up the gilet and trousers for 20e...lots of everything still available...most folks must have all their gear at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

sizing on the jerseys and gilets is quite "generous", be best to go a size down

• Advertisement

xz wrote: »

Didnt check it yet. Just bought the sizes I previously bought there.

But is it more "generous" when compared to cycling gear that Lidl previously did or other manufacturers cycling gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Picked up a jersey. Not bad, long tail, grip strip on the tail, three pockets (a bit shallow though). Very light material, summer jersey or decoration over many other layers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Went into Deansgrange this morning. Compared to the last time I went, the place was very calm.

I picked up some gloves and a helmet. I also spotted some bike hooks which were neither on the calalogue not online. They are in the same style as this one from wiggle (or this one), appear to be very well made and cost €6.99 for 2. I picked up 2 packs - lets hope there is enough clearance for my wheels, otherwise they will be stored for later use like some other Lidl gadgets I buy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

route66 wrote: »
    Went into Deansgrange this morning. Compared to the last time I went, the place was very calm.

I picked up some gloves and a helmet. I also spotted some bike hooks which were neither on the calalogue not online. They are in the same style as this one from wiggle (or this one), appear to be very well made and cost €6.99 for 2. I picked up 2 packs - lets hope there is enough clearance for my wheels, otherwise they will be stored for later use like some other Lidl gadgets I buy ;)

Thanks for the heads up - need a few for the kids bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Bought pair of shorts. The padding (or lack thereof) might act as an effective male contraceptive! Pretty flimsy when compared to Aldi shorts. Was hoping to get some inner tubes but didn't appear to be any for road bikes and the ones I looked at all had schrader valves. Like earlier poster said, and having witnessed mayhem before, the place (Lidl Baldoyle) was eerily calm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

xz wrote: »
    Got a jersey and a gilet. Agree on the generous sizing of the gilet, but the fit of the jersey seems fine, well in line with the supposed chest measurement. Maybe I am an odd shape though.

Reasonably impressed with the quality of those items, I have to say. A step up from their last offering. These seem on a par with the last lot of Aldi stuff, so maybe Crivit have been paying attention. Time will tell what the washing machine does to them.

Got a jersey and a gilet. Agree on the generous sizing of the gilet, but the fit of the jersey seems fine, well in line with the supposed chest measurement. Maybe I am an odd shape though.

Reasonably impressed with the quality of those items, I have to say. A step up from their last offering. These seem on a par with the last lot of Aldi stuff, so maybe Crivit have been paying attention. Time will tell what the washing machine does to them.

Is it more "generous" when compared to cycling gear that Lidl previously did or other manufacturers cycling gear?

Is it more "generous" when compared to cycling gear that Lidl previously did or other manufacturers cycling gear?
    I only have some of the last lot. I'd say the jersey is about the same sizing as Lidl previous but the gilet is larger and worth going a size down from whatever fitted previously. Other manufacturers vary a lot - I don't think you can sensible compare "Lidl" and "other".

I only have some of the last lot. I'd say the jersey is about the same sizing as Lidl previous but the gilet is larger and worth going a size down from whatever fitted previously. Other manufacturers vary a lot - I don't think you can sensible compare "Lidl" and "other".

Ok thanks, so if you have a L Lidl jersey you would need an M Lidl Gilet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Happy enough with my 2 jerseys and a pair of gloves, for under €20.

Ok thanks, so if you have a L Lidl jersey you would need an M Lidl Gilet?
    I'd say so, unless the L jersey is pretty tight on you. I have L both & the gilet won't flap around or anything - just prefer it a bit tighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

oflahero wrote: »
    The Lidl specials *this* Thursday (the 10th) include a very handy little pressure washer for 12 euro - it's intended for watering/fertilising your plants, but I found one of them brilliant when I got one a while back for helping wash the bike. Portable, no need for a hose, and the pressure isn't so strong as to find its way into your bearings: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110310.p.5L_Pressure_Sprayer
    Cheers oflahero. Picked up one of these along with a few other cycling bits 'n' pieces today. For those in Cork the LIDL in Toghar is closed until the 24th due to renovations and the one in Churchfield didn't have any shorts or cycling underwear when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I picked up the bike computer and the foot pump in Galway. And so far so good, can't go wrong for €11 for both.

The computer seems pretty accurate and its functionality is pretty straight forward and easy to use and set up.

However I was a bit disappointed in the gloves, the ones I saw had the thinest layer on the palm side, effectively useless if you've any hard grips etc. So gave them a miss.

Oh, no big crowds in Galway either, and they've loads of stock too :)

oflahero wrote: »
    The Lidl specials *this* Thursday (the 10th) include a very handy little pressure washer for 12 euro - it's intended for watering/fertilising your plants, but I found one of them brilliant when I got one a while back for helping wash the bike. Portable, no need for a hose, and the pressure isn't so strong as to find its way into your bearings: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110310.p.5L_Pressure_Sprayer

I tried this the other day washing the bike. Very handy on the chainstays etc once the dirt has been already well wetted down. Mine doesn't make them clean though, just less dirty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Bought a size L Gilet this morning - just got to check it this evening and as has been stated on this thread already - sizing is quite generous.

If anyone has purchased a Size M and thinks they may need a bit of extra room - i'd be interested in a swap. Let me know.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Col200sx wrote: »
    I picked up the bike computer and the foot pump in Galway. And so far so good, can't go wrong for €11 for both.

The computer seems pretty accurate and its functionality is pretty straight forward and easy to use and set up.

However I was a bit disappointed in the gloves, the ones I saw had the thinest layer on the palm side, effectively useless if you've any hard grips etc. So gave them a miss.

Oh, no big crowds in Galway either, and they've loads of stock too :)

I was thinking about getting on of them computers as well, seems like, they are fine. Hopefully, they have on left by the end of the week in Cork Street ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting on of them computers as well, seems like, they are fine. Hopefully, they have on left by the end of the week in Cork Street ;)

For €6 it's great. I've done a couple of journey's with it and I can't fault it so far :)

In fact I bought one couple years ago for 5 times the price from a particular website, and it didn't have as many functions or be as easy to set up.

I've already saved the €6 on petrol, so it's already paid for itself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Lemag wrote: »
    Cheers oflahero. Picked up one of these along with a few other cycling bits 'n' pieces today. For those in Cork the LIDL in Toghar is closed until the 24th due to renovations and the one in Churchfield didn't have any shorts or cycling underwear when I was there.

I got jersey, shorts and gloves very handy for the money was interested in the underwear but was none there wife asked the manager and he said there was a mix up with the suppliers and that no shop got them so watch out on later dates they might pop up worth a punt for that kind of money

Underwear appeared in Baldoyle.

The track pumps look pretty much the same as the one I got last year which was utter crap. It now lives in the garage at work as an emergency backup (enough to get you to the petrol station up the road to use their pump).

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Bought a size L Gilet this morning - just got to check it this evening and as has been stated on this thread already - sizing is quite generous.

If anyone has purchased a Size M and thinks they may need a bit of extra room - i'd be interested in a swap. Let me know.

Thanks

Just return to swap for medium.
    I got one each o M,L & XL. Brought back the L & XL and kept M, no questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Just return to swap for medium.
    I got one each o M,L & XL. Brought back the L & XL and kept M, no questions asked.

Thing is - i phoned Lidl this evening and the lady contacted the store that i purchased it in - plus the nearest store to that - out of stock on the Gilets.
    Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I went to get som milk tonight and looked at the stuff. I quite like the saddle bag/back pack! Great to go training and stopping at the supermarket on the way back ;) ( no I didn't get it )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I went to two Lidl's today looking to get an adult helmet. They only had the childrens? anyone see adult helmets in their local Lidl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

SeaFields wrote: »
    I went to two Lidl's today looking to get an adult helmet. They only had the childrens? anyone see adult helmets in their local Lidl?
    The one in Churchfield in Cork had adult helmets. There were plenty there however I didn't notice them at first (only the kids' one) so they might not have been very well sign posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

SeaFields wrote: »
    I went to two Lidl's today looking to get an adult helmet. ... anyone see adult helmets in their local Lidl?

Adult male helmets are over on aisle 4 usually, Mondos is the brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lemag wrote: »
    The one in Churchfield in Cork had adult helmets. There were plenty there however I didn't notice them at first (only the kids' one) so they might not have been very well sign posted.
    Adult male helmets are over on aisle 4 usually, Mondos is the brand

Thanks lads, might pop over again tomorrow so and have another look. I'm obviously stone-blind! Got a few other bits tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have a Large rain trousers and a Large gillet that I am going to get a refund for. Does anyone want them before I take them back to Lidl?

Earlier posters were spot on that the L gilet was generous! Managed to pick up a medium one in black - would have preferred it in blue but beggars....

Just tried on my L blue jersey to find that it's actually an M. Either in the wrong packet or more likely I'm going bonkers.

Anyone in Dublin have an L same style that's too big and want to swap?

Otherwise I'll just have to lose some weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just tried on my L blue jersey to find that it's actually an M. Either in the wrong packet or more likely I'm going bonkers.

Anyone in Dublin have an L same style that's too big and want to swap?

Otherwise I'll just have to lose some weight.

yes please, that the short sleeve full zip blue and silver one?
    I've an L that's far too big for me.

• Advertisement

yes please, that the short sleeve full zip blue and silver one?
    That's the one. Will PM you in a mo.

Hey all, rather than start another thread, LIDL have running specials this Monday, 28th March.

A lot of it's pretty similar to cycling gear, just in case people missed out.

Link:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110328.index

I'll be checking it out to see if anything worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

One of these for interval training...

Col200sx wrote: »
    Hey all, rather than start another thread, LIDL have running specials this Monday, 28th March.

A lot of it's pretty similar to cycling gear, just in case people missed out.

Running gear wont be much good to you on a bike!
    You'd need alot of layers of running shorts to get some decent padding!:D

studiorat wrote: »
    One of these for interval training...
    Running gear wont be much good to you on a bike!
    You'd need alot of layers of running shorts to get some decent padding!:D

I meant the things like the waterproof jacket, and breathable tops that can be good for about town cycling etc.

I know as I've found it hard to find decent breathable tops that aren't stupidly priced.

Anyway, my apologies :o

Mods feel free to delete my post above if need be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement