Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford City Marathon 2011?

• 07-03-2011 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Seen something about this in the sports forum. Is it going to happen? Would be a great for the city..

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford Half gets good numbers (dispite the moving of the event this year) so why not, not seen anything about it myself though.

I'd like to see any route involve the quays which is missed as part of the half marathon, would be great :)

Google search finds http://waterfordchristmasmarathon.com/ but with no details, no mention on the Waterford AC website though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd imagine that if it was happening that we'd hear by now as they would need allot of time to organise and give people time to train.

I was up in Dingle last September for their Marathon and there was a great buzz around the place. I think it would be great for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

I think it would be great for the city. Being a blow in from cobh have run in and completed the cork city marathon and have to say the buzz in cork on the june bank holiday is fantastic. The whole city and the suburbs come out for the marathon. People every step of the way urging you on geeing you up and even throwing you sweets or handing you energy bars from their gardens lol. Plus it highlights the city. Part of that route was I ran through the jack lynch tunnel which was a great feeling on a boiling day. Waterford could include maybe the bridge or through the centre of the city.
    It would be a great boost for the city.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Part of that route was I ran through the jack lynch tunnel which was a great feeling on a boiling day.

Have to say thats one part of the route I'm really looking forward to in June :)
    Then roll on Dublin in October :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Bump!

Ok, I have it on very good authority that Waterford will have a full marathon in 2012. I was told by a race organiser that a committee is being set up to organise it.

Personally, I hope the route takes in both bridges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

gscully wrote: »
    Bump!

Ok, I have it on very good authority that Waterford will have a full marathon in 2012. I was told by a race organiser that a committee is being set up to organise it.

Personally, I hope the route takes in both bridges.

Wow fantastic if it does happen..

I doubt the 2 x bridges will happen though as if they close off the city centre for it, they need to have an alternative route to redirect the traffic to.. the bypass being the obvious one..

Let hope they dont add Bridge St/Summerhill or Bunkers Hill onto the route, imagine facing any of those while having another 20 miles still to run.. :D:p

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Wow fantastic if it does happen..

I doubt the 2 x bridges will happen though as if they close off the city centre for it, they need to have an alternative route to redirect the traffic to.. the bypass being the obvious one..

Let hope they dont add Bridge St/Summerhill or Bunkers Hill onto the route, imagine facing any of those while having another 20 miles still to run.. :D:p

It all depends at what point in the route the bridges would be. If they were towards the end of the race, the athletes would fit into a lane, so it may be doable. It'll be great for the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

It'll be great for the city for sure and judging by the amount of people who are out running every night it'll be something that people will look forward to.

dermo909 wrote: »
    It'll be great for the city for sure and judging by the amount of people who are out running every night it'll be something that people will look forward to.

Well the numbers for the half in January of this year were pretty good and that's taking into account the people that cancelled as the race was delayed from December and then clashed with another event in January. (hence the cancellations).

Curious if the Waterford AC would be involved in arranging the marathon event,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well the numbers for the half in January of this year were pretty good and that's taking into account the people that cancelled as the race was delayed from December and then clashed with another event in January. (hence the cancellations).

Curious if the Waterford AC would be involved in arranging the marathon event,

One of the Winter League organisers told me, so you can assume they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

sounds like a great idea as all the other cities in Ireland have one so why not waterford city. i am sure it will bring in a lot of business to the city retailers, hotels , restraunts etc. i know a gang of girls from Dublin who will definately come down for the weekend. i wish the city well in running this event.

One of the Winter League organisers told me, so you can assume they are.

Good stuff, here's hoping everything comes together and a good route is picked :)

Good stuff, here's hoping everything comes together and a good route is picked :)

Yeah, it'll be exciting watching it unfold and discovering the route. I know a lot of the countryside will be used, but hopefully not too much as having spectators line the route shouting encouragement is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Waterford AC are hosting the National Half Marathon this year too, in September
    I joined their evening beginner track sessions a few months ago and really enjoy it, am impressed by the club overall and as mentioned it's nice to see more and more people out running in the evenings around the place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

ive been running marathons for 4 years now and every year i cant understand why waterford hasnt got a marathon,it makes so much sense,it would be a big success without a doubt,i can only cross my fingers and pray this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

araic88 wrote: »
    Waterford AC are hosting the National Half Marathon this year too, in September.

What's the route for this?

Never done any kind of marathon before, but trying this would give me an excuse to get fit over the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

blue-army wrote: »
    What's the route for this?

Never done any kind of marathon before, but trying this would give me an excuse to get fit over the summer!

Sorry I don't know, the route isn't mentioned on their website yet.
    Here's the route for their Half Marathon last year though, it might be similar?
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/25882062

araic88 wrote: »
    Sorry I don't know, the route isn't mentioned on their website yet.
    Here's the route for their Half Marathon last year though, it might be similar?
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/25882062

Waterford AC hosted the national half-marathon a couple of years ago and that was the route used. From that, the December half-marathon was born. I'd imagine both will use the same route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Yeah, it'll be exciting watching it unfold and discovering the route. I know a lot of the countryside will be used, but hopefully not too much as having spectators line the route shouting encouragement is necessary.

Whatever the route picked,it wont be easy,anyone that runs the roads and countryside of waterford will tell you,there are hills everywhere...none the less...it would be great for the city

you seem to know what happening gscully....spill the beans

Sosa wrote: »
    Whatever the route picked,it wont be easy,anyone that runs the roads and countryside of waterford will tell you,there are hills everywhere...none the less...it would be great for the city

you seem to know what happening gscully....spill the beans

I wish. I've mentioned it to a couple of people outside boards and they already knew about it! You know as much as I know.

I hope they hold it in August. Considering Limerick is May, Cork is June and Dublin is October, it'd be great to have it as part of a series. Even better if it was on the Spraoi Monday.

Hey, we all have runningmap.com or mapmyrun.com. We should come up with our own routes ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone got an update on this ? has it progressed ?

It's still at the organising stage, but from what I hear, it'll either be towards the end of June, or August bank-holiday weekend. I've no idea of the route.

It's still very much happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

June roughly same time as Cork though right? I'd say they do better in August. I hope it comes off.

ziedth wrote: »
    June roughly same time as Cork though right? I'd say they do better in August. I hope it comes off.

Cork is at the start of June. I think August would be best too. Halfway between the Cork and Dublin marathons would ensure a lot of athletes from out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

Would the weather be too warm in august for a marathon? or perhaps it might attract runners from the states who prefer our cooler climate?
    I think a marathon the august bank holiday weekend would be excellent as there would be real carnival atmosphere with the spraoi.

Barule wrote: »
    The Half Marathon is on Saturday 3rd September in Waterford
    full details here:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=9434

We're discussing the full marathon scheduled for 2012 (ignore the title). There's two half-marathons later this year: The National is on Sept 3rd and the Waterford AC on Dec 10th.

Barule wrote: »
    The Half Marathon is on Saturday 3rd September in Waterford
    full details here:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=9434

Thats the Woodies HM, the normal Waterford Half Marathon is still happening at the same time as other years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭roco71

Hearing rumours around the town that the full marathon is still on the cards for 2012 somewhere around July time. I really hope it is cos I want to do my first Marathon in the Deise if I can.

Any updates from anyone in the know?

roco71 wrote: »
    Hearing rumours around the town that the full marathon is still on the cards for 2012 somewhere around July time. I really hope it is cos I want to do my first Marathon in the Deise if I can.

Any updates from anyone in the know?

All I know is they're finalising the route and that it will involve out to Tramore and back. As of now, it's happening.

• Advertisement

All I know is they're finalising the route and that it will involve out to Tramore and back. As of now, it's happening.

Any date yet finalised ?
    I heard last Sat in June or first in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

A marathon in Waterford would be great. Was at Dublin last week and even though it turned very wet there was some athmosphere.

just bumping this

Any updates ?

I hear Jimmy Payne is involved,someone that knows him might find out a date and any other info and post it on here.

-Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Its on the 12th

tankbarry wrote: »
    Its on the 12th

12th Dec is the HALF marathon,

12th Dec is the HALF marathon,

The half is actually on the 10th Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

good news i just entered the viking waterford marathon,30th june ,ye ha bring it on.

good news i just entered the viking waterford marathon,30th june ,ye ha bring it on.

details please Ray....
    cost...route...etc

Quick search got me this : http://waterfordvikingmarathon.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

waterfordvikingmarathon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Absolutely excellent..can't wait. Really didn't think we would get one. It will be quite warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Nice route and at 40e it's very reasonably priced..really can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

Count me in! :D

Is anyone else a little surprised that streets like The Mall and the Dunmore Road aren't on the route? I suppose they don't want too much congestion, but it'd be nice to run past House of Waterford Crystal and the Bishop's Palace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 denis behan city legend

tempting, very tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

i'd be tired after driving that distance!

fair play to all involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Are the training plans on the website good enough to get someone around the course in some kind of a respectable time?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

longshanks wrote: »
    Are the training plans on the website good enough to get someone around the course in some kind of a respectable time?

It depends. Have you run a marathon before? What kind of time are you hoping for? I see those training plans on the site are based on times; whereas I would recommend distances, since it's really important to build up the miles. Try one of Hal Higdon's training plans or something like that, e.g.:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/MaraNovice1.html

Hope this helps :)

Advertisement