Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy worms !

Options
  • 07-03-2011 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

he are no worms in our garden, does anyone know where I can buy some ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the first thing you need to address is why you have no worms, before you source any.
    what's the soil like?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

i think the first thing you need to address is why you have no worms, before you source any.
    what's the soil like?

Well, we have been here just two years and at first we thought we would not be able to have a veg garden because we are on mostly boggy ground. However we had an area covered with wild fuchsia and I discovered that beneath was good soil. Last year I hired a digger, cleared it, and we had our first veg garden here which yielded well.

I have just turned the patch over to prepare for this year and realised that I didn't see a single worm. As I said, we had good crops last year and the soil is good, but I would like to see some worms in there. I think the reason there aren't any is because the area around here in Donegal is mostly bog. Can't think of any other reason, there is nothing wrong with the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

If you can get some well rotted horse manure somewhere it should be full of worms and it would help your veg too :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

how far down did you dig?

when the weather (ground) is cold the worms bury down deep to warmer soil.

now also there is a big cold snap supposed to hit around the 9th March with the possibly of snow :eek: so they could have gone further down.

in the olden times, before the weather forum this is how some people would tell the temperate of the soil before they started sowing

i was removing a raised flower bed on sunday and i found very few worms until i got near the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Get one of those compost containers from the council for your kitchen waste, once you get a bit built up in there, there will be thousands of them.

And some cow/horse poo (not in the container), your gonna need this in the ground before you start sowing your veggies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

just a thought and I sincerely hope you haven't but did you see anything that looked like these from approx. 2cm to 10cm in length

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnhSlA4pTk6eDEWq77DY1iRgiQ00xOqKQuNJRh5Fs_wCcGnHlWJQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ63Di7lxKWqLWpbDMmLM8ISYcKO57JuINXraVnXP8jwNEaNwZaow

Egg Case - which you will easily see when digging

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOm7Cwp2AjP2l3wLpi9_Te_McT2xLggb9cDNJCH59PjN3mNhzg

Its New Zealand flat worm and they eat earthworms. They (Antipodean) where introduced about twenty years ago and have spread through garden centres/nurseries, etc. they eat earthworms morning, noon and night. Unfortunately they have no natural enemy and any chemical solution would also be harmful to earthworms.

You'll find these if they exist under bricks, pots any place where it is cool and damp. They are decimating earthworms both here and the UK mainland causing serious issues with soil fertility and drainage. Both of which the common earthworm does as part of being a worm.

Also compost worms or brandlings cannot survive in soil and only live in compost/well rotted manure so no point pouring bucket loads of em into your soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

he are no worms in our garden, does anyone know where I can buy some ?

Thanks

There's a guy called Paul Davis that posted on the Angling board that supplies worm in bulk

"Brandling and Dendrobaena Tubs (25worms) 2.50 euro and varying weigts up to 1 kilo bags at 25euro plus vat. No notice needed for quantities up to 5k. A couple of days notice for larger quantities."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=431723

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If you want to gather worms to add to your garden the best way is like so..
    Go to a park or golf course or a football pitch with reasonably short grass at night with a torch.
    You'll see the worms on the surface of the soil,feeding and making out..just grab teh worms before they've a chance to retreat back into thier burrows.
    This method doesnt use chemicals like detergents which can harm worms and obviously doesnt requiere any digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Worms love soil full of organic matter if you don't have this they won't stay around. Add loads of organic matter to your soil manure/compost and you'll see numbers but you need to add every year. Another way to get them up i find is when i aerate the lawn with a fork they come up to the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

we have loads down here and woppers too...if you want to come down and dig my garden you can have as many as you want.....:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Degsy wrote: »
    Go to a park or golf course or a football pitch with reasonably short grass at night with a torch.
    You'll see the worms on the surface of the soil,feeding and making out..just grab teh worms before they've a chance to retreat back into thier burrows.
    This method doesnt use chemicals like detergents which can harm worms and obviously doesnt requiere any digging.

So it's true, Wormsnatchers really do exist. I wonder if they're like Mr Mothman?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Degsy wrote: »
    Wait till there finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Wait till there finished.

ROFL

Advertisement