Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does size really matter.(for beginner and improvers)

Options
  • 07-03-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi just want to pose a question after the weekend we just had, Saw loads of people and spoke to some who pulled up on Lahinch beach this weekend and left without getting in the water. Yet every single person who gotin the water and took some direction came back delight with waves and conditions. SOme gotmore wave than they every had and others got their first green clean shoulder. So the question is are we too fussy about wave size when they are clean and have nice shape, particularly when own learning. Let me know what you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you look at Enniscrone beach, often the waves look small but when you get out they are always better than you expected, a case of near and faraway going on.

Lesson is if it's clean get in get some waves for an hour then go driving there's a good chance if you drive off looking for something better you'll end up back where you started but now the tide is high.....

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Hi just want to pose a question after the weekend we just had, Saw loads of people and spoke to some who pulled up on Lahinch beach this weekend and left without getting in the water. Yet every single person who gotin the water and took some direction came back delight with waves and conditions. SOme gotmore wave than they every had and others got their first green clean shoulder. So the question is are we too fussy about wave size when they are clean and have nice shape, particularly when own learning. Let me know what you think

I pulled up to lahinch and left without getting wet. It was bigger and less crowded down the coast. Got wet and stoked there!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ben bennett

hi thats my point really, small and decent shape is going to stand to you much more than big and walls of white water and getting pounded on the way out. You can learn the skills that will stand to you long term even if there isnt as much of a buzz. But often people blame the waves being too small to catch rather than looking at themselves and what they are doing. For example two people turned to me on Saturday and siad waves were to small to catch yet they ran a comp on the beach and all though small guys were pulling of some great moves. Point being if people focused on how they use their board more they would get more waves and progress quicker.

Different if you have some skills already then naturally heading to bigger better quieter spots makes loads of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Never drive away from surf.

Some of my best days have been small and clean. So much fun, especially on the logs. If it is clean n small and you are confident, get rid of the leash and enjoy it even more. Also makes you work on your kick out at the end of the wave.

Small days are vital for working on your position on the board also as the power is not there and it is not as forgiving. Also, if you want little head ducks or even mini barrells, small clean days are way easier than big punchy fast days. Find a little running shoulder and tuck in!

Advertisement