Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten not eating

• 07-03-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

My kitten is around 8 months old and i just wormed him.

I got a wormer off the vets and i was told to put it in his food, it was a liquid wormer.

He now has gone off his food and hasnt eaten for over 10 hours, i have changed his food twice.

Any idea in how to get him to eat

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

How is your kitten overall?

Is he listless, flat or 'not himself', curled up in a ball, does he squeak or growl if you go to lift or move him? Check him over and look in his mouth to see if his gums are a good colour (pink) and make sure he's feeling okay. Gently pinch up the skin on his back / neck and watch how quickly it snaps back into place - if he is dehydrated, his skin will move more sluggishly back into place.

If he's a happy wee chappy in himself, doesn't appear dehydrated or off form, then he may just be feeling a bit poorly after you wormed him. 10 hours isn't a panic for an eight month old kitten (as long as you didn't mean 8 weeks old!) to be off his food. Is he drinking water? You can try using either a plastic syringe barrel (no needle!) or a teaspoon and dribble some water into the corner of his mouth. (If he fights you feistily on this one he's probably fine!)

Generally they can feel a bit rubbish for 24 hours after worming, or alternatively he could taste it in his food and won't ever eat that same food again.

/edited to add that generally cats are more scent-driven than they are taste-driven, so if you get really worried and he hasn't eaten in 24 hours or even 36 hours (as long as he's drinking - if he's off his water too you need to head to the vet), you can try some wet catfood. A fish flavoured variety straight out of the pouch is usually enough for a cat who never gets a fish-flavoured wet food. For particularly finicky eaters, you might try warming it in the microwave for 15 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

Hes still himself, running around and playing, sleeping the usual and hes drinking, over all hes fine

Im probs just worring over nuttin if her doesnt eat by tonight ill bring him to the vets

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

Alfie is now fine he was just in a mood for a day :)

Thanks all for the help :)

Advertisement