Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the new government do anything good?

• 07-03-2011 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

I like to be optimistic and think they will undo some of the bad things the last pack of wasters have done but it always seems like there is a sort of Gentleman's agreement in politics to not directly undo what your predecessors did.

I'm expecting the election manifestos to go out the window and a raft of unpopular measures brought in and each party blaming each other that they are necessary.

Will the new government do anything good? 81 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss
    30% 25 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    69% 56 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Daegerty wrote: »
    Will the government do anything good?

computer says no

unlikley. Even if they could they've bugger all money to do it with. Although they really should be going down the route of green energy. The ship is sailing and we're not yet on board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

FG might get us the ''right'' to defend our homes from intruders.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Our government will be a wale fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gary4279 wrote: »
    ▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Our government will be a wale fail

whale fail fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Complete our bankruptcy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

legalise the weed man!!

never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Same old...same old.

Not usually pessimistic, but false promises are part and parcel of politics at this stage. I've a feeling a lot of their policies are going to go down like a lead balloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Same as before, we're already being fed horse manure.

Politicians are lying bastards. I can't stand them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I hope they legalize Dihydrogen monoxide, that shít is boss.

Speaking of dihydrogen monoxide, water charges are a disgrace. Emigration anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Swapping Fianna FAIL with Fine Gael is like replacing Hitler with Stalin. It is not a solution. Just more of the same. :(

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I know ways of increasing revenue, creating employment directly and indirectly, increasing tourism and increasing general safety on the streets:

Extend the opening hours of pubs/clubs.

1. Charge them - the later they wish to stay open, the higher the charge
    2. Increased VAT returns
    3. Increased employment - more people needed to man the bars
    4. Increased PRSI returns
    5. More tourists from England, Scotland, Wales, the North = more business for hotels, hostels, taxis
    6. Business of taxis spread out over longer period = safer driving, less rush for taxis to get back into town to rejoin the ever dwindling queues
    7. Increased business for take-aways, restaurants, shops selling bottles of coke, cigarettes etc
    8. Increased safety - people taking their time with their alcohol instead of rushing to the bar to buy 3 rounds to knock back before leaving the club.
    9. People released on the street in drips and drabs = less toxic crowds.

A needed boost is staring the government in the face. Will they do anything progressive?

No. Welcome to the governance of Fine Gael. The backward party.

However, mabye it could be a legacy of the Labour Party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Worztron wrote: »
    Swapping Fianna FAIL with Fine Gael is like replacing Hitler with Stalin. It is not a solution. Just more of the same. :(

Definitely not a final solution anyway:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Business. As. Usual. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kraggy wrote: »
    I know ways of increasing revenue, creating employment directly and indirectly, increasing tourism and increasing general safety on the streets:

1. Charge them - the later they wish to stay open, the higher the charge - Publicans will pass this onto their customers
    2. Increased VAT returns - How so? We're in a recession..can't see the pub trade picking up if people still don't have money..and see above..dearer drinks
    3. Increased employment - more people needed to man the bars - Longer hours more likely for staff
    4. Increased PRSI returns - Very doubtful if miniscule
    5. More tourists from England, Scotland, Wales, the North = more business for hotels, hostels, taxis - Seriously..who's going to pay the inflated drink prices here in ROI?
    6. Business of taxis spread out over longer period = safer driving, less rush for taxis to get back into town to rejoin the ever dwindling queues - Agreed
    7. Increased business for take-aways, restaurants, shops selling bottles of coke, cigarettes etc Again depends on how many people get out
    8. Increased safety - people taking their time with their alcohol instead of rushing to the bar to buy 3 rounds to knock back before leaving the club.- Agreed
    9. People released on the street in drips and drabs = less toxic crowds. - Agreed

A needed boost is staring the government in the face. Will they do anything progressive?

Answered some of your questions....why is it that publicans think they can magically turn the country around by getting extended hours?

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Answered some of your questions....why is it that publicans think they can magically turn the country around by getting extended hours?

1. I'm confident that most people would gladly pay extra for drinks if it meant they could dance til 6a.m
    2. People are holding on to their money out of fear. One of the things holding the economy back is this fear. A lot of people actually have money, they're just too frightened to spend it in case things get worse. People also would like to forget the misery and have a good night out. They'd quickly let their hair down if only for the novelty of being able to do so until the wee hours.
    3. In some cases yes, particularly in clubs. However, in pubs that open all day long, more staff will be needed to man the bar during the day, evening, night, and late night.
    4. How doubtful? Prsi is a percentage of hourly pay. More hours worked = more revenue for the government.
    5. The many people who would like to come to Ireland more often but don't because of the shorter opening hours. There are many. I lived in England and our licensing laws were a turn-off for the people I knew over there.
    6. Agreed.
    7. More tourists + more Irish people out = more demand for food.
    8. Agreed.
    9. Agreed.

I solemnly believe that extended opening hours would provide a boost. The sheer novelty would bring people who don't normally go out on a saturday night out.

Also, people who don't like Saturdays because of the packed pubs and streets would be more inclined to come out as the business would be more spread out, therefore more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Get rid of the 10pm closing for off-licenses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

lets face it default will happen :mad: the government know it.
    people in this tiny Country are strapped of cash yet theres still much worse to come ..............

property tax,
    water tax,
    tax tax tax more they tax us the less we spend Ireland will default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I think we would have had a decent chance with an FG government, but labour are going to mess it all up. The fact that they are being tasked with cleaning up the public service when they are owned by the unions is a bad joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

2. Increased VAT returns
    5. More tourists from England, Scotland, Wales, the North = more business for hotels, hostels, taxis
    6. Business of taxis spread out over longer period = safer driving, less rush for taxis to get back into town to rejoin the ever dwindling queues
    7. Increased business for take-aways, restaurants, shops selling bottles of coke, cigarettes etc
    8. Increased safety - people taking their time with their alcohol instead of rushing to the bar to buy 3 rounds to knock back before leaving the club.

Governments don't create jobs - this is a myth.

Businesses create jobs - and it's a case of not involving ourselves in those businesses. Give the people the freedom to create jobs for others by deregulating industries, not organising their every move. Charging pub and club owners more tax is going backwards, not forwards. That is tyrannical that some outside source would have a hand in the running of your private establishment. Taking tax from a business that wishes to remain open is providing the very incentive for them to close their venue earlier to avoid the tax rates - the lesson is, that we can't charge tax.

Let the free market do it's work - only a non-interventionist approach will get us out of this mess. Indeed, it would have never got us into it. Increasing VAT/Tax will discourage tourists. The problem is that we need to get rid of the majority of taxes, not increase them - if we do this, then all those other points you mentioned will increase tenfold.

That is the power of the free market and non-intervention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Businesses create jobs - and it's a case of not involving ourselves in those businesses. Give the people the freedom to create jobs for others by deregulating industries, not organising their every move. Charging pub and club owners more tax is going backwards, not forwards. That is tyrannical that some outside source would have a hand in the running of your private establishment. Taking tax from a business that wishes to remain open is providing the very incentive for them to close their venue earlier to avoid the tax rates - the lesson is, that we can't charge tax.

Let the free market do it's work - only a non-interventionist approach will get us out of this mess. Indeed, it would have never got us into it. Increasing VAT/Tax will discourage tourists. The problem is that we need to get rid of the majority of taxes, not increase them - if we do this, then all those other points you mentioned will increase tenfold.

+1 the most sensible thing you ever posted. More fecking tax is only digging us into a deeper hole.

If FG undo a good portion of tax and regulation we stand a chance but im not getting my hopes up at all

20% says yes, I'm D'loooiyghted to see such optimism and faith in the Democratic system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

No. Im starting to think a republic will never work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Give us a referendum on the EU/IMF Bailout. If we supported it and it can back to bite us in the arse, then we could blame ourselves and not the government for accepting it. (Like the guarantee)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

2. Increased VAT returns

Seen it in other countries
    I worked as a bar man
    Closing times at 3 after midnight
    Between twelve and three o clock they drink less starting annoying in pub/club
    More drunk idiots on streets
    more criminal acts on the streets
    More drunk driving

one plus on this u need much more guards on the streets on closing time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i had to laugh this morning at the news when I heard that the taoiseach pay has now been reduced from 214,000 Euro to 200,000 Euro.

What a difference.

nothing has changed. as I read on here yesterday, what we voted for was to

give up eating the lidl ice-cream in favour of eating the aldi ice-cream.

so much for the radical change needed. :D

Really they should all be capped at around 25k a year until the financial mess is over and never allowed above 50k a year (inflation adjusted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

and enda kennys stylist should be sacked.

anyone see that big overcoat on him - with the small head peeping out the top of it - and two little shoes underneath - embarrasing. I know he thinks he's a big man now, but he should stick the small sizes in clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

and enda kennys stylist should be sacked.

anyone see that big overcoat on him - with the small head peeping out the top of it - and two little shoes underneath - embarrasing. I know he thinks he's a big man now, but he should stick the small sizes in clothes.

But his mam thinks he's cool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

i had to laugh this morning at the news when I heard that the taoiseach pay has now been reduced from 214,000 Euro to 200,000 Euro.

What a difference.

nothing has changed. as I read on here yesterday, what we voted for was to

give up eating the lidl ice-cream in favour of eating the aldi ice-cream.

so much for the radical change needed. :D
    To be payed that is just disgraceful it's more than Obama gets using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Those cuts are nothing to them. They are not fooling anyone. :mad:

From http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0310/politics.html
    "It was decided that the Taoiseach's pay is to be cut from €214,187 to €200,000, with other rates cut in line with that. Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore's pay is cut from €197,486 to €184,405.
    Ministers' pay has been reduced from €181,283 to €169,275, while pay for Ministers of State is cut from €139,266 to €130,042."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Scram wrote: »
    To be payed that is just disgraceful it's more than Obama gets using it?
    How much does Obama make so?

To be honest I do agree that the cuts were not much, 50k could have been taken off all of them. Then we will see who has the good of the country at heart.

Eh, where did I say anything about the Government creating jobs?

It will be the bars/clubs creating employment due to the lessening of existing restrictions.

Are you a PD by any chance? See what deregulation did to the taxi industry? Oh yes, it's easy to get a taxi now, but traffic problems have been created in almost all urban areas in the country due to lack of taxi rank facilities and hundreds of taxi drivers are driven to depression due to lack of business because of oversupply of cars. Because they went into the taxi business, they do not qualify for Job Seekers allowance or benefit.

By deregulation, you leave pubs and clubs open to remaining open for 24 hours a day. Now, while that's fine in urban, non-residential areas, you can't have a pub in a residential area allowed to open 24 hours a day. Children need to go be able to walk to school without passing pissed people near their estate.

There has to be some regulation with regard to the drinks industry. Afterall, it's our taxes that pay for the healthcare of those who develop dependency problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The only real good they'll do is call another election in 2013!

Advertisement