Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to charge?

• 07-03-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I've been approached by a small shop to take product pics for their new website. Would involve taking macro shots of jewellery and watches mainly. I'm just wondering how much to charge. The shots will be taken in the shop. I have a ring flash and a softbox, which I can set up in a corner of the shop.
    I was thinking of charging a flat fee just for showing up (around €50), and then charging a fixed amount per item photographed (€20?).
    From what I can gather, I would be required to take pics fairly regularly (assuming i'm not fired :D) as new stock comes into the shop.
    Would I be better off charging for time, rather than per item?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Depends on how many items, for a small amount of items charge per hour for a large amount charge per item. Try as much as possible to have the shots ready from camera or factor in photoshop time into the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've learned the hard way doing portrait shoots. I made very little on my first few. I hadn't included postage and packaging and spent far too many hours trying to perfect in Photoshop. As Keith says, get much as possible right in camera. I think per item will make you more money though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Cheers guys. I was thinking per item myself, as the items are very high-value (€2000+) and €20 or so per item is nothing. Also want a minimum amount per shoot, as it's a waste of time to show up and shoot one or two at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

yeah, most portrait photographers charge a fee for the shoot alone. Anywhere between €50 and €150. On top they charge for the processing time and then of course, prints. Your job is a little different as you won't be printing I imagine? So you need to make up the earnings other ways. per item sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I've learned the hard way doing portrait shoots. I made very little on my first few. I hadn't included postage and packaging and spent far too many hours trying to perfect in Photoshop. As Keith says, get much as possible right in camera. I think per item will make you more money though?

For large amount of items it will, small amounts better to do by time. You can also do a sliding scale payment depending on amount of items, say 1-20 items €15 each 20-100 items €10 each and so on to a ceiling of €5 per item on 200 or more (this is why I say get in camera right) You can shoot in raw+jpeg and if they want 300dpi tiff files you can still produce them but will have the immediacy of jpeg

• Advertisement
Advertisement