Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few pointers before I emigrate please!

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi all ,

im thinking bout following the rest of the country and heading to australia to start a new life. Three of us are going and we are uncertain about a few things, even though we have searched through websites and boards.ie for the answers!

any help from anyone who has taken the step would be greatly appreciated !

1. Ive heard that you need to have a minimum amount in your bank account prior to arriving in australia, is this true and if so , how much?

2. Looking into applying for a visa , ive seen companies offering packages with sim cards etc, would this be recommended?

3. Has anyone applied for work before arriving and been successful based on their cv/job experience?

again any help would be great ,

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Do you visa yourself through oz government website. Sim cards can be picked up for two dollars. Insurance can be got cheaper to yourself.

They say you need 5k in your bank. They don't check but its best to have it in case you don't find work right away. Plus get out of the hostel and rent a place which you'll need a bond.

Just apply when you get here depending on what work your after.

Search this forum. Its all been answered before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Strutter Band

thanks slunk, have searched will try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The $5k is for those on a WHV, but since you are emigrating obviously you would be on a skilled migration visa?

sorry worded wrong , yes i would be on a WHV. So

the 5k is what is needed to enter?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

5k is what is suggested to have when entering.

Going on the experiences of people who post here, you'd want at least that. The start up costs in Oz are considerable - rental bond, furniture, money before getting a job (can be upto 2 months depending on what you go for).

• Advertisement

sorry worded wrong , yes i would be on a WHV. So

the 5k is what is needed to enter?

thanks

Yeah at least, no point in taking any less imo...... imagine telling all your folks & friends you are emigrating to Australia and then arriving home a month later flat broke.

This is what is known as the Walk of Shame.

well thats the things , im hoping on having work arranged before i get out there so i wont be taking the walk of shame :D

has anyone been successful in securing work prior to arriving there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

3 all depends on your cv? The question of migrating or holiday hangs on that to.

well thats the things , im hoping on having work arranged before i get out there so i wont be taking the walk of shame :D

has anyone been successful in securing work prior to arriving there??

What kind of work are you hoping to get?

telecommunications tower rigger! there a fair few jobs looking for experienced rigger

• Advertisement

telecommunications tower rigger! there a fair few jobs looking for experienced rigger

I can't imagine it would hurt if you contacted them a couple of weeks before you're due to head over.

The worst thing they can say is that they'd prefer to meet you in person if you scored an interview.

That sounds rather useful, you might do alright in that line of work especially in QLD.

Although I imagine you are going need a load of tickets for that type of work.

well thats it , i have all the irish tickets , dunno how they rated in australia! and its on the skilled job list too.

but somehow i still dont get 120 points :(

dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

well thats it , i have all the irish tickets , dunno how they rated in australia! and its on the skilled job list too.

but somehow i still dont get 120 points :(

dirt.

Bad news is you'll probably have to do all your tickets again. They barely recognise tickets from state to state so any tickets from another country are generally worth nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You won't be able to touch anything over here without the relevant tickets. And you might need a few different tickets. And they are not cheap either. But they are tax deductable. But getting those tickets might help you get sponsored later on.
    Loads of info on the net about tickets and local companies that offer them to give you an idea of prices.

Advertisement