Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landlord - Need some advice on Dish removal

• 07-03-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭

Landlord contacted me recently and told me that I need to take down my Sky Dish.

Its a 2 story apartment block with 3 bed apartment upstairs and 2 bed on ground floor.

I'm on ground floor and my dish needs to be on the upstairs wall.
    All the other ground floor apartments have their dish on the upstairs wall, in fact next doors ground floor apartment have their dish on the upstairs wall next door to me. There are 3 dishes on 1 wall.

Anyhow landlord rang me, says I need to take it down. I think he has new tenants going upstairs. But I see all the other dishes are still up and have had no movement on them.

What should I do. UPC in the area is non exsistant, only offer Digital, no digital +, broadband or home phone packages.
    I'd have no problem with UPC Digital + if i could get it.

My partner and I work so we like to record on sky + and watch back.

Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

whycliff wrote: »
    Landlord contacted me recently and told me that I need to take down my Sky Dish.

Its a 2 story apartment block with 3 bed apartment upstairs and 2 bed on ground floor.

I'm on ground floor and my dish needs to be on the upstairs wall.
    All the other ground floor apartments have their dish on the upstairs wall, in fact next doors ground floor apartment have their dish on the upstairs wall next door to me. There are 3 dishes on 1 wall.

Anyhow landlord rang me, says I need to take it down. I think he has new tenants going upstairs. But I see all the other dishes are still up and have had no movement on them.

What should I do. UPC in the area is non exsistant, only offer Digital, no digital +, broadband or home phone packages.
    I'd have no problem with UPC Digital + if i could get it.

My partner and I work so we like to record on sky + and watch back.

Any idea's?

Did landlord ask any of the other tenants to remove their dishes? Is there a contract/agreement that you signed which states no dishes allowed?

If your apartment has a south east facing balcony you could simply mount the dish in on it out of sight.He sounds like he's just being a bollix if he singled you out and not the other tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'm going to ask the other tennants this evening. But there's been no move on any of their dishes.

I've read through the lease and it doesn't mention anything about dishes. He said to me on the phone dishes are not allowed in the complex whatsoever,people aren't putting them on the south east front facing walls, they are putting them on the back southeast facing however.

Dishes are all over the place.

I asked him about contacting the management company to organise a communal dish that UPC service provided is bad, he said I am the management company.

Dish needs to be up high as there are tree's 100m's away, huge ones interfering with the signal.

If the trees are that far away they won't interfere with the signal as it comes in at an angle,you might get away with mounting the dish at ground level.
    It'd be ironic (or sickening for you) if the new tenants above you stuck up a massive dish.:rolleyes: Wonder would he say anything to them.

zerks wrote: »
    If the trees are that far away they won't interfere with the signal as it comes in at an angle,you might get away with mounting the dish at ground level.
    It'd be ironic (or sickening for you) if the new tenants above you stuck up a massive dish.:rolleyes: Wonder would he say anything to them.

Do you know anything about installation of dishes? If I thought mounting at ground level would do, there'd be no issue.

Apparently according to the lad i got to install it, it had to be up higher, the tree's were interfering. The tree's are huge mothers, at least 100m's away. Its a ground floor apartment.

Is there anything I can put on another tennants dish so that i can receive signal from theirs without effecting there's?

Do you know anything about installation of dishes? If I thought mounting at ground level would do, there'd be no issue.

Apparently according to the lad i got to install it, it had to be up higher, the tree's were interfering. The tree's are huge mothers, at least 100m's away. Its a ground floor apartment.

Is there anything I can put on another tennants dish so that i can receive signal from theirs without effecting there's?

There's insurance issues if you connect to neighbours dish,I've seen it done but not recommended.As I said with the trees being so far away I can't see a problem with reception.Try this site http://www.dishpointer.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

There's insurance issues if you connect to neighbours dish

I'd be more worried about the electrical safety issues

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the electrical safety issues

That's what I implied,it'd be hard to explain to your insurers how your place burnt down due to electrical fault from connecting to someone elses equipment.

Good tutorial on your site Tony about satellite reception,could be great help to the op with regard to locating their dish and the trees problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or why the visitor died when he touched the Satellite box.

watty wrote: »
    Or why the visitor died when he touched the Satellite box.

House rules-Visitors are not permitted to touch the satellite box!!:D Serve 'em right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks thats very kind

Good tutorial on your site Tony about satellite reception,could be great help to the op with regard to locating their dish and the trees problem.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Does the sky signal all come from the same satellite in the southerly direction?

upon closer inspection the tree's are pron 50ms away and not 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Does the sky signal all come from the same satellite in the southerly direction?

upon closer inspection the tree's are pron 50ms away and not 100.

Did you look at the dishpointer site linked above? You might be surprised as to how much room would would have to get the dish to work. You find your house/flat, select the satellite you want to get, tick the option to "show obstacle", then move the obstacle indicator to where the trees are.

As an example, I have a Sky dish mounted close to the ground, LNB is maybe 20cm off the ground. There is a fence about 2m high, about 6m away, and the signal is in no way effected (in fact, I'd say there is a large margin there). Scaling up to the trees that are 50 meters away from you, simple maths shows that the trees would have to more than 16 meters high (if not more) to be a problem.

16 meters doesn't sound like much, but when it's in a vertical direction, it's quite substantial (for reference, I think the average 2 story house would be 6-8 meters).

EDIT: A rougher way of determining is that there is a good chance that a dish with the sun shining on it at about 11am during the summer will get a signal from 28E. The elevation of the sun is constantly changing, so there is one particular day at a particular time when the sun is directly in line with the satellite constellation at 28E (NHK World often show an advertisement showing the interference that this can occur for the sats they broadcast from, around the time the interference is expected). I don't know the exact day or time, but you could be fairly certain that any spot getting sun from 9am/10am these days would be good (though I stand to be corrected, I don't have time to find the exact data).

EDIT 2: I found an online sun outage calculator http://www.satellite-calculations.com/SUNcalc/SUNcalc.htm

Feed in Astra 2 satellite, and Dublin as location, the spring outages were in the week or so just past. Sun was directly behind Astra 2 at about 10am UTC.

Advertisement