Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500d vs 550d for video

• 07-03-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I'm currently considering between each of these cameras but I'm split over which one to choose. My main use will be still photos with needing to be able to do video for about 3 or 4 events a year. I already own lenses that will fit both so the kit lens isn't hugely important, it would end up being the holiday lens.

The options I have are the 500d with non IS lens for 509 or the 550d with IS lens for 695.

My questions is, if I was shooting 720p video with these would there be a noticeable difference? Does anyone have experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had thought about this but I think the 550d has better manual control over the video than the 500d.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_550D_Rebel_T2i/verdict.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

BrianjG wrote: »

My questions is, if I was shooting 720p video with these would there be a noticeable difference? Does anyone have experience of this?

Little or no difference in video quality at 720p. The 500D can only
    record 20fps at 1080p. The external microphone socket on the 550D
    is a huge advantage for video shooting. This feature alone is worth
    the extra cash. 550D prices are falling since the announcement of
    the new 600D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

recording at 1080 isn't really an issue for me as I already have a camcorder for that. The ability to record with the dslr is a bonus so I dont have to take both devices with me.

the prices jump is what's putting me off the 550d as the cash could go towards a new lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

BrianjG wrote: »
    recording at 1080 isn't really an issue for me as I already have a camcorder for that. The ability to record with the dslr is a bonus so I dont have to take both devices with me.

Shooting video with a DSLR is a PITA because the autofocus sensor is blind
    while you are shooting video. It is ok for making the occasional video, but your
    camcorder will probably do a better job.
    the prices jump is what's putting me off the 550d as the cash could go towards a new lens.

The 500D and the 550D are both excellent cameras. I have the 500D if
    you want to have a play with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

hbr wrote: »
    the autofocus sensor is blind
    while you are shooting video.

thats something I had forgotten about. in that case I think i'll get the 500 and save the cash.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

hbr wrote: »
    Shooting video with a DSLR is a PITA because the autofocus sensor is blind
    while you are shooting video.
    It is ok for making the occasional video, but your
    camcorder will probably do a better job.
    It that a limitation of the 500/550 only? My 7D can autofocus* while recording video mode. Admittedly its a bit pants but it does work

*I only have it a week or so and I was using a pre-selected single focus point and the back-button-focus button

Unless you have an external microphone the autofocus motor noise will be heard on the video, this for me would make me choose a 550d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You cannot rely on DSLR video autofocus for anything other than home movies. It will focus eventually alright if there is enough light, but it hunts around a lot. Get one of the Sony SLTs (alpha 55 or 33) if you really want autofocus during video, but really manual is fine for most things. Keep your aperture closed down as much as possible for a bigger depth of field makes it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

i have a 550D and can merely confirm the above, i.e. autofocus hunts for a few secs in video mode which obv ruins the film. but i presume if you know what you're at you know that you can't use af in this scenario? the mic option will get rid of the sound of the motor, which is good, but the film will be ruined by the af hunting anyway. i presumed you just have to use manual when filming, at least with a DSLR?

There are lots of options/kits now to help you focus manually and a lot of wedding videographers manual focus only even on the pro range gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement