Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

union dues

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

do many people on here have their union dues taken straight from their wages?
    it's a major bone of contention with me,i am of the opinion that ever since this practice came in the service provided by my union has gradually deteriorated.you never see them and any time you do get to speak to them on the phone you get the impression they couldn't care less.
    i would love a return to the days when they had to collect the money from you,this act of taking it straight from your wages is too convenient for them.
    i was just wondering do many people on here feel the same and if they would ever consider instucting their employer to stop their union dues being taken staright from their wages?
    it's something i'm seriously considering doing but i could only really see it having an effect if a good few of my work colleagues decided to do it also.
    would it be a good idea or would i just be opening a massive can of worms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Where I work the union are a nessicary evil. They go to weekly local meetings and we are never told what goes on at them. Nobody wants to be a shop Stewart except those who have grievances with the company. Each shop stewart has their own hidden agenda. They get time off the floor and get to "stick it to the man". Sadly the rest of us get painted with the same brush and it results in terrible working atmosphere.

Our subs have always been taken out of our wages. I can see how a weekly collection would improve relationships and give us some kind of an input into local meetings. But as things stand I don't have much hope for our union and their bully boy tactics. I only pay my subs so I get a vote in any ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

i was reading the t+c's of my union on their website earlier and for any new member wishing to join they have to provide employer's details to take the money from your wages or bank details to take the money from your account so the option to just PAYG doesn't seem to be there.
    it does however say that the onus is on the member to ensure that their union subscription is up to date so you must be able to cancel the deduction at source if you wish...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

it's the same where I work, taken straight from my wages, I'm not really happen with this either as like previous posts we see and hear very little from the union, also the subs have steadily increased over the last few years (only a small amount- but it adds up). I'd like to see things changing but I just can't see it happening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Union Subs have doubled in the last 3yrs or so. I'm paying over 4euro a week, thats over 200euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You have the option of opting out of the union and not pay the subs. Your union rep wont know nor will anyone else and in the event of a major dispute in your workplace the union will have to represent everyone in that workplace as any decision they make will affect you good or bad no matter if you are in the union. After saying that, if the union know you are not paying subs then they wont help you if you have a personal problem in your work. Make use of the union as its there for you, speak up together on any issues you have as your rep is there for YOU and its what you pay for. Ask for monthly meetings to see whats going on or ask to see any notices that get sent to the rep and ask them to pin them up in the canteen etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, why not run for election yourself and change the union from the inside?

If your union rep and the people you call are doing a poor job, go straight to the top, the top person in your union.
    If they are still doing a poor job you and your team could maybe all resign and go elsewhere

There are lots of different unions in Ireland

Advertisement