Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it ok to paint a bed frame and 2 lockers?

• 07-03-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi folks,
    I have a walnut bed frame, 2 lockers and a tallboy.
    My wife is fed up of it and wants to get rid of it and get a cream set.
    I am not to excited about this and am wondering would it be possible to paint the current set cream?
    am i mad, will it come out ok do you think?
    any opinions welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I painted our old pine double bed and lockers cream a few years back and put it in my daughter's bedroom. Just sand down the existing bed and lockers and give them a few coats of paint, sanding in between coats. You could go for the "distressed" look, i.e. you can still see a light shadde of the walnut underneath the new paintwork or just put on several coats of cream to completely cover up the old colour. Walnut is quite dark so perhaps an undercoat might help too. Its a little tedious but we got a "new" bed for the price of a tin of paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Perhaps you could get a cabinet maker or someone to spray it for you. It might give you a more even and better looking finish than a brush. If you paint it yourself make sure you allow each coat to dry fully then give it a light sanding before the next. It will give each coat grip and also help reduce the inevitable lost brush hairs and dust specks that get stuck to the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're going with a solid colour like cream, the definitely undercoat it white first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Is it a solid walnut bed? Or has it a finish on it. Either way yeah you can paint it. You will need to find a suitable primer for the bed as this will be your most important coat. Then you can apply normal gloss/satin/eggshell over the top of that. Try Zinseer or BIN 123, for priming, plus they dry pretty quick. This will work well if it's a laminate type finish. If it's solid walnut, regular undercoat thinned a little with white spirits will work. As mentioned above, prep and sand before,and between coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I recently painted a pine bed frame and blanket box.
    Used BIN primer as timber had a sheen finish, then two coats of very pale green. Looks brilliant, everyone thinks it's new furniture, and took minimal effort and money.
    Give lots of drying time between coats, sanding and a good brush (except for the primer as brush can't be cleaned afterwards, as far as I know!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

thanks for the info gang, appreciate it.

Advertisement