Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abalone closing down? :(

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Heard at the weekend that the fantastic Abalone restaurant is closing down :(:(

Anyone know why/are they moving to somewhere else/what's the inside story?

I loved that place, only got to go there twice but had 2 really memorable dining experiences........shame to see it go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

They are closing next Saturday, and aren't reopening.

Really is an excellent restauraunt, and it's a shame to see it go.

It has to have been difficult to make a living with just 20 seats in the place, though.

Hopefully they'll give it another go after taking a break for a while; the chef has been 20 years working in kitchens, and he's only in his mid 30's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It was easily one of the best restaurants in Galway. Will be sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Fey! wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll give it another go after taking a break for a while; the chef has been 20 years working in kitchens, and he's only in his mid 30's!!

10 year old chefs could be the cause of the closure, child labour and all that :D

Tis a shame though, I was only in it once and the grub was fabulous

damn, only reread that now, Mid 30's so technically he could have been 15 when he statred. I started working in a bar when I was 12 so tis possible

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

WHAT!? :eek: I'm gutted! Abalone is a lovely little restaurant, one of my favourites. Sad to hear it's going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

bummer had been thinking about going there at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

after eight its my favourite restaurant in the city.

Sad to see them close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

i ate there just two weeks ago and the girl was telling me they were gonna take a break and see the lie of the land. The lease was up so they decided to not renew and take stock, it's a lot of work running a restaurant and with the economy looking dodgy for the forseeable they wern't sure if the custom would be there.

I got the impression though that if the right opportunity presented itself they'd consider opening again... hope so, such a reliable and consistant place to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Maybe this is the only way to negotiate the rent? I'm not sure that upward only rent negotiation has been done away with yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

When is it closing and do they have any offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Maybe this is the only way to negotiate the rent? I'm not sure that upward only rent negotiation has been done away with yet.
    Looking at the growing number of empty prime city centre units I think landlords are starting to find out the hard way that the game is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Shame to see them go, but move to a bigger premises nearer town and they'll fly. Has anyone tried booking a restaurant over the last few weeks... all booked out these days. Recession my ass.
    McTigs wrote: »
    Looking at the growing number of empty prime city centre units I think landlords are starting to find out the hard way that the game is up.
    I used to think that too but everywhere is getting filled up over the last few months. Forget about Taffees and the old benetton shop and everywhere else has been leased, no? There are no empty units left on main shopping streets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Passed an empty premises on Abbeygate St today, just noticed it as it went back further than I thought. Dunno if leasing it is in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I 'THINK' the Al Murretto/Bella Roma place by Forster Court might be coming up for lease. As far as I know they are moving to a smaller premises. Not confirmed. Just something I heard on the Galway Grapevine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Handiniho

Can't believe Abalone is closing, it was one of the best in town. Hope it re-opens somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Anytime I considered going to eat there it seemed to be closed. Always wanted to try the place :(

Advertisement