Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut opening in partition wall

• 07-03-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi folks,
    i have a partition \slabbed wall that i want to cut a doorway into.
    The wall will provide access from one bedroom into the next bedroom.
    all i want is a standard doorway opening, no door or anything.
    What is the best way to approach this and how will i be able to finish off once the opening is cut? will i need a plasterer to skim it, etc?

any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kitchens decks

i did something like this before i cut tru slab to put a unit into built in wardrobe , mark out your lines on the wall first then buy a new handsaw nice n sharp (if blunt it will take lumps of plaster off rather than a clean cut) cut out slab, remove partition timbers inside the doorway access you may need to support the sides with 3x2 timbers or 4x2 between the two slabs , if you get a nice clean cut shouldnt be a need to skim again just get some timbers and fix them in place as if its a door frame your making.. my advice make opening same size as standard door , if you or someone decides to put one in down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Just to add to previous advice given. Try and find a vertical support on one side of where you want to put the Door. Cut a hole in the middle of the Door with a Pad saw and work back towards the side. Once you have established where one side of the ope is going to be. Use this as your reference point and Measure 33 inches to where to cut on the other side of the ope. Make you ope 80 inches high. Get yourself a 51/2 inch Door frame pack. Which comes with two sides and a head. When set in place this will be just proud of the Wall which will allow you fill in the back of the frame and leave it nice and neat. You should then have a standard opening in which a Door can be fitted at a later date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you really want to make the cut edges neat and tidy, then score the plasterboard along where you want to cut it with a sharp stanley knife. Usually stops the board tearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

thanks for the info gang, appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Totally agree with fingers. this will keep the board tidy. But I should also have said that you can use 1.5 inch Pao by the with of the Wall as your frame and then use Architrave to dress around the opening. This will completely leave a clean finish to the Job. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement