Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky + and Landlord dish removal...Advice needed.

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

Landlord contacted me recently and told me that I need to take down my Sky Dish.

Its a 2 story apartment block with 3 bed apartment upstairs and 2 bed on ground floor.

I'm on ground floor and my dish needs to be on the upstairs wall.
    All the other ground floor apartments have their dish on the upstairs wall, in fact next doors ground floor apartment have their dish on the upstairs wall next door to me. There are 3 dishes on 1 wall.

Anyhow landlord rang me, says I need to take it down. I think he has new tenants going upstairs. But I see all the other dishes are still up and have had no movement on them.

What should I do. UPC in the area is non exsistant, only offer Digital, no digital +, broadband or home phone packages.
    I'd have no problem with UPC Digital + if i could get it.

My partner and I work so we like to record on sky + and watch back.

Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You have two choices -

1) serve notice and find somewhere else to live
    2) Take down the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Paulw wrote: »
    You have two choices -

1) serve notice and find somewhere else to live
    2) Take down the dish.

How would they be my only 2 options in all seriousness?
    Absolutely pointless post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Simple ...

Ask whoever owns one of the other dishes can you put a dual lnb on it. (wont affect thier service) and then run a cable from thier dish to your flat.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

whycliff wrote: »

Because presumably affixing any sort of dish requires specific landlord consent.

If he isn't willing to give his consent (and 99% of the time apartment regulations are quite specific on not allowing dishes whether it's enforced or not) then Paulw is correct.

If the landlord insists either comply or move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Simple ...

Ask whoever owns one of the other dishes can you put a dual lnb on it. (wont affect thier service) and then run a cable from thier dish to your flat.

Isn't a dual Inb required for each sky + anyway?

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    Because presumably affixing any sort of dish requires specific landlord consent.

If he isn't willing to give his consent (and 99% of the time apartment regulations are quite specific on not allowing dishes whether it's enforced or not) then Paulw is correct.

If the landlord insists either comply or move out.

I could be wide of the mark here, but I would presume that everyone in all the other apartments didnt receive his consent either.

I've no issue with taking it down whatsoever if the service provided by UPC was anyway near up to scratch.
    I'd actually prefer UPC they have free setanta and broadband speed are faster than eircom.

All they are providing in the area is Digital TV, NO digital +, broadband or phone whatsoever.

I'd also have no problem taking the dish down if there weren't dishes in every other part of the development.
    Upstairs next door has 3 dishes on the wall, one for himself i presume, one for down stairs and one for downstairs next to me as i can see the wires running from it...

quad_red wrote: »
    Isn't a dual Inb required for each sky + anyway?

Quad LNB then smart arse

What other options have you??? You asked for options, and those are the two I can see.

The landlord owns the property (well, more likely the management company do), but it is up to him if he will permit you to erect a dish or not. He has come back and required you to remove it. So, you must remove it.

If you're not happy, then you can serve notice and then find somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

He's right - if you don't like it move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you saying the same landlord owns all the properties? if so, check with neighbours if they have been asked to take their dishes down too. If yes, then there is little you can do. If no, ask the landlord straight out why you have been asked; not sure he can make one tenant take it down if it is not a universal policy.

• Advertisement

I actually didnt ask for my options, I asked for Idea's.

I'm not necessarily looking for a way of not taking down the dish.
    I could try get it from another dish, try get the landlord/management company to get a communal dish.

There are many possibilities.

Its juat me and my partner. We both work. Never any house parties, noise or bullsh*ttin about.
    I'm an excellent tennent and any landlord should be glad to have those in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quad LNB then smart arse
    Keep it constructive. :)

Its juat me and my partner. We both work. Never any house parties, noise or bullsh*ttin about.
    I'm an excellent tennent and any landlord should be glad to have those in this day and age.

Doesnt give you any rights unfortunatley

If the landlord wants it down it has to come down... end of.. unless you can persuade him otherwise...

If the comes down use someone elses dish ...

If ya cant do that then maybe freeview (if its in the area)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I actually didnt ask for my options, I asked for Idea's.

I'm not necessarily looking for a way of not taking down the dish.
    I could try get it from another dish, try get the landlord/management company to get a communal dish.

There are many possibilities.

What does your lease say with regards to fixtures on the outside walls? Is there a set of rules for the complex from the management company? Do they say anything regarding fixtures to the outside wall? Did you ask the LL when you put the dish up? How long has the dish been up? Does your LL own all the other apartments in the property? How do you know the other tenants haven't also been asked to take theirs down?

Doesnt give you any rights unfortunatley

If the landlord wants it down it has to come down... end of.. unless you can persuade him otherwise...

If the comes down use someone elses dish ...

If ya cant do that then maybe freeview (if its in the area)

I dont think it should give me any extra rights or better treatment, its his property after all.

What I cant get over is he says no dishes in the complex, without looking too hard driving in other day I counted 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

I dont think it should give me any extra rights or better treatment, its his property after all.

What I cant get over is he says no dishes in the complex, without looking too hard driving in other day I counted 25.

It's possible that the management company have decided to enforce the lease conditions and that the other apartment owners with satellite dishes have been also asked to take them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

OP you shoudl contact sky about getting a communal dish on the roof, problem solved. If the landlord wont go for this solution then he is being an arse and your gonna have to take the dish down unfortunately.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    OP you shoudl contact sky about getting a communal dish on the roof, problem solved. If the landlord wont go for this solution then he is being an arse and your gonna have to take the dish down unfortunately.

From what I gather the landlord and the management company are all the one. when i mentioned about a communal dish he just said there is one there already for UPC.

As I've already said, I have no problem with removing the dish, but the UPC service is nothing short of shocking in 2011 in a place that is 15 minutes from Dublin.

Everyone else there are tennants. So all the dishes that are up I presume shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

What does your lease say? At the end of the day that is the contract that you have with the LL, doesn't matter what any other tenant in the area is doing, they may have signed a different lease. If your lease says you can't attached anything to the outside wall then the LL is within their rights to ask you to take it down.

Have you tired speaking to the your LL and expressing your issues with the communal service? Unfortunatly Sky is not a service that a LL is obligated to supply [unless it says so in your lease] so if they say tough to you your options are take it down and deal with the communal service or leave it up and deal with your LL who could terminate your lease if your breaking it by having items attached to the outside wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

No reason why sky cant put one on the roof aswell, he sounds like he is being awkward to be honest and its not gonna end well for you unfortunately.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    What does your lease say?

I doubt there is anything in the lease about mounting a dish on a different unit, even if the same landlord owns both.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Quad LNB then smart arse

Most sky plus satellites actually come with a quad LNB,

If your friendly with one of the neighbors, plug the cables out of your satellite and plug it into the 2 spare spaces on the neighbors. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

demixed wrote: »
    Most sky plus satellites actually come with a quad LNB,

If your friendly with one of the neighbors, plug the cables out of your satellite and plug it into the 2 spare spaces on the neighbors. Sorted.

You might want to talk to an installer/electrician before doing this. My understanding is that properties with different electrical supplies should not simply connect o the same LNB as can cause electrical problems. Communal systems are different to simply running wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

From what I gather the landlord and the management company are all the one. when i mentioned about a communal dish he just said there is one there already for UPC.

As I've already said, I have no problem with removing the dish, but the UPC service is nothing short of shocking in 2011 in a place that is 15 minutes from Dublin.

Everyone else there are tennants. So all the dishes that are up I presume shouldn't be.

UPC dont have dishes, What exactly is the problem with the UPC service that is there?

Also you need to actually speak with your neighbours and see if they have similar letters to remove. None of the posters here can answer that. You need to ask your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm guessing the landlord said no dishes, and you put up a dish. Not such an excellent tenant...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Simple ...

If you look over on the OP's other thread on Satellite on this very thread topic you will see there electrical safety concerns of sharing someone else's dish. Apparently there is the potential (excuse the pun) for a leak or short in the other guy's gear to be transmitted via the LNB and coax down into your equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Technically, if the property is for rented accommodation, you are entitled to use whatever service provider you like.

To be told you cannot have a dish on your rented accommodation, and he will not put a communal dish up - this is in effect an anti-competitive behaviour.

You could easily challenge the rule in the lease if you wish (as its in effect an illegal clause in a contract). But its probably more of a PITA than anything else.

I think under the EU Freedom of Service laws, you are entitled to erect a dish regardless of what it says in the lease.

Technically, if the property is for rented accommodation, you are entitled to use whatever service provider you like.

You could easily challenge the rule in the lease if you wish (as its in effect an illegal clause in a contract). But its probably more of a PITA than anything else.

The OP is not forbidden from using any provider. The OP is simply forbidden from erecting a satellite dish on another unit (not the unit he is renting). The fact that the unit he is renting is not in a position to receive a satellite signal is not the fault of the landlord, so therefore is not an illegal clause in the contract.

There is also no case law in Ireland which shows that forbidding of the mounting of a satellite dish is an illegal clause in the Lease Contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The OP is not forbidden from using any provider. The OP is simply forbidden from erecting a satellite dish on another unit (not the unit he is renting). The fact that the unit he is renting is not in a position to receive a satellite signal is not the fault of the landlord, so therefore is not an illegal clause in the contract.

Ah, I seem to have missed this nugget of info.
    There is also no case law in Ireland which shows that forbidding of the mounting of a satellite dish is an illegal clause in the Lease Contract.

Merely because a case hasn't be taken as yet. EU law would supercede here, making the clause illegal.

I'm pretty sure the case could be made under the competition act too, as to enforce these rules, the landlord would essentially be giving 1 company a monopoly in the complex.

Its certainly not straight forward, but a case could be made.

Its been discussed many times in the satellite forum oer the years.

Here's a post with relevant info and links
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57366766&postcount=11

• Advertisement

Ah, I seem to have missed this nugget of info.

Vital nugget. :D

Merely because a case hasn't be taken as yet. EU law would supercede here, making the clause illegal.

I'm pretty sure the case could be made under the competition act too, as to enforce these rules, the landlord would essentially be giving 1 company a monopoly in the complex.

It's not the landlord who is making the rules, it's the management company.

Aside from which, you are forbidden from mounting a dish, but not from receiving a satellite signal. Dishes do not have to be mounted outside, and can be used through a window, so even then, I doubt this European directive (it's not an actual law), would apply.

The competition law would not come in to play either, since again, you are only forbidden from erecting a dish externally. You can have one internal.

Advertisement