Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton Shower Heat

Options
  • 07-03-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

the control knob for turning up and down the heat on the triton shower does not cool the water anymore when i twist it from hot to cold this is the third one iv seen like this is there any thing i can do or is it a matter of just getting a new shower ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

All that control does is vary the rate of water flow, assuming its not the heat 1 heat 2 selector your talking about. Make sure it is turning the actual spindle behind it in the shower. You need to remove the cover to do that. Make sure the isolator is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bill Electrical Aprentice

thanks robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

i seen this a few times, usually its a lime scale build up in the shower head, u could try disconnecting the shower head from the hose and see if the temp control works.

the blocked shower head causes a back up of pressure to the unit which for no reason but a design problem causes the shower to run either too how or too cold.

if it is the shower head u could try clearing it by steeping it in hot white vinegar over night or go ahead and buy a new shower head.

if the latter get a cheap one cause this is a common problem where the shower gets used alot in a house.

evosteo wrote: »
    the blocked shower head causes a back up of pressure to the unit which for no reason but a design problem causes the shower to run either too how or too cold.

Well it would be caused by too low a water flow rate with limescale in the head rather than a build up of pressure. The flow rate is what controls the temperature. If there is too much scale in the head, the water will be too hot, and may trip the overheat cutout, which is why it might go cold in that situation.

It can cause the problem alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

only assuming back up pressure because when the head is blocked usually the shower sounds like its struggling at full power. the shower sounds like its at full blast but the waters only trickling out of the head.

i personally think its a design problem with the triton electric showers due to 90% of ireland being a hard water area.

i think the shower should automatically shut off if there is a blocked shower hose or head.

a child could easilly get burned from the hot water if the shower suddenly decideds to run a full temp

iv jumped once or twice outa the shower from this cause i was too lazy to sort the head out:D

• Advertisement

evosteo wrote: »
    only assuming back up pressure because when the head is blocked usually the shower sounds like its struggling at full power. the shower sounds like its at full blast but the waters only trickling out of the head.

This happens because as the water flow rate gets too low, the pump starts to just circulate the water around the pump housing, and may even be creating vacuum spaces in the water, and so it speeds up and sounds like its working harder when it runs faster. The actual pressure in the unit would make no difference as its the flow rate which is important, although flow rate is linked to pressure, the more the head is blocked, the higher the pressure goes and the lower the flow rate. The pressure does of course increase if the shower head is becoming blocked , but its the water flow rate(litres per minute) flowing over the 2 elements which is too low that causes it to get too hot.
    i personally think its a design problem with the triton electric showers due to 90% of ireland being a hard water area.
    It is hard to see why that shower would be any worse than others. They seem to be the most popular so would see more of them showing problems that may afflict all electric showers. Maybe the head design is more prone to clogging. I dont know myself.
    i think the shower should automatically shut off if there is a blocked shower hose or head.
    They could maybe fit a pressure switch to sense for too high a pressure should the head become overly clogged maybe, which could cut the shower off. But it usually gradually happens and not suddenly. So probably not really needed.
    a child could easilly get burned from the hot water if the shower suddenly decideds to run a full temp
    I think it would be unlikely it would suddenly happen though. In the summer after a very hot day, the attic tank water can warm to such a level that the shower can be too hot on a setting that was fine the day before.
    iv jumped once or twice outa the shower from this cause i was too lazy to sort the head out:D
    Sounds like you just jumped in without checking temp:D, me too once or twice.

Anyway, good chance the OP problem is scale like you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

had a similar prob with my triton T90, water was very hot on every setting, so I swapped the bath mixer shower head with the triton shower head and hey presto problem solved:):).

rje66 wrote: »
    had a similar prob with my triton T90, water was very hot on every setting, so I swapped the bath mixer shower head with the triton shower head and hey presto problem solved:):).

Just get the triton shower head and put in vinegar overnight. Or else limescale remover like calgon etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I get this problem with the triton a lot too. Clean the head and it goes away for a while.

Yea its just the holes in the head being partly blocked by limescale. Slow the water flow down, and it gets hotter. Thats all thats happening when you turn up the temp with the dial, reducing the volume of water flowing, and the element puts a fixed amount of heat into it, so the partly blocked shower head holes causes the water to get too hot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement