Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Aerator

Options
  • 07-03-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I need to sort out my lawn which is suffering from Moss so have decided to
    1: Kill the moss and
    2: Prevent it from re-occurring

I am going to use Iron Sulphate to kill the moss. My lawn is just over half an acre. How much of the iron sulphate would I need roughly to cover much of that area and how can I apply it? I have a lawn tractor with a boom sprayer and was hoping I could mix the sulphate with water and spread it with the spayer for easy application over this wide area. Could I do this?

Also, I need to get an aerator which I can pull using the lawn tractor. I could rent one but I will be doing this at least once every year so I may as well purchase one. Could anyone advise on the type of aerator I could get and where I might get one?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I bought a 40" Agrifab Dethatcher and a 40" Agrifab Aerator last year from Mowdirect.co.uk.

Both do the job, but a Plug aerator would probably be better.

Theres a bit of assembly with them, but delivery was extremely fast and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I bought a 40" Agrifab Dethatcher and a 40" Agrifab Aerator last year from Mowdirect.co.uk.

Both do the job, but a Plug aerator would probably be better.

Theres a bit of assembly with them, but delivery was extremely fast and reasonable.

Many Thanks for that Qwerty. You mention that the plug would be better but in the item description it states 'Enjoy the advantages of both plug and spike type aerators' ?? so is this one a mix between the two.

Have you noticed any difference in your lawn since you started using it? How often do you use it?

Excuse my ignorance but can the Dethatcher be used for raking up the dead moss as I'm about to treat it with iron of sulphate? How do they work together, the aerator and dethatcher that is?

Really appreciate your help as I'm fed up with the moss etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

The plug aerator removes plugs from the lawn, leaving holes in it, and loads of plugs on the lawn surface (you then sweep lawn sand into the holes to aid drainage). The aerator I bought cuts slots in the lawn, which aren't noticeable visually but should help a little. I do this 2-3 times last year.

The dethatcher is brilliant, it removes the dead thatch/dead moss, and you will be amazed how much it removes. (not as much as a petrol driven one - but it does remove alot) I only got this in September - and used it only once. Wished I had bought it last spring, to remove all the dead grass from last winter and allow new growth throughout the summer. You do have to collect all the thatch afterwards, but I just cut the grass afterwards with the grassbox on, and it collected a fair bit of it.

Of the two - I'm happier with the dethatcher, but then again, you can see the results of using it.

Advertisement