Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lord Of The Rings Extended Editions on Blu-Ray

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

bought this today, watched 15 mins or so of fellowship on an old sony bravia ( 42inch not full HD ) from a panasonic blu ray , looks excellent , no green tint! , looks more like a warm up filter used in certain tv programmes in the 80s ( littlest Hobo etc but more subtle) , looked terrible in HMV on the screen in there , looking forward to watching on my my normal Sony 55 ex503 and will report back ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

Read this snippet a few weeks back on AICN regarding the grading of FOTR:
    I wrote Peter Jackson to alert him to the rumors. Peter had Andrew Lesnie look into it – you see… of the 3 films, FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING EE was the only film of the trilogy that did not go through the extensive and expensive Digital Color Grading process. They did that for this. Peter had seen the new mastering of FELLOWSHIP – in fact anyone that had seen it on HD broadcasts recently was looking at the gorgeous master sans any tinting. In Peter’s opinion the film has simply never looked better – including theatrically, because this new digital color grading was something that Peter wanted from the very beginning.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50193

To me it sounds like they might have graded it all with one filter. Hence snow on mountains not being pure white.. Although I will have to get the Blu to confirm myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I got this last week got to watch the first part of the fellowship over the weekend, as a owner of the extended dvds , i can confirm for a fact the "green tint" as shown on internet videos is total BS .

IMHO the shire has never looked better so far, the sound is bloody glorious on any decent system .

The shire has the real green grass, blue sky, it looks excellent the image is so sharp you can see the pollen floating about in the fields , i for one was very impressed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

great to hear. What about whites etc? Are they all olive? Or is this blown out of proportion?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    great to hear. What about whites etc? Are they all olive? Or is this blown out of proportion?
    As i said i just watched the first part of the fellowship , i will report back on part two with its misty mountains etc when i get to watch it, but nothing obvious jumped out at me as wrong so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I got this last week got to watch the first part of the fellowship over the weekend, as a owner of the extended dvds , i can confirm for a fact the "green tint" as shown on internet videos is total BS .

I can confirm that the green tint as shown on videos and screenshot comparisons is 100% accurate.

If you take a screenshot of the Fellowship Extended Bluray, and a screenshot of the Theatrical Bluray, and then compare them, there is a very clear green tint. It is undeniable since you can simply open them in photoshop and take a RGB value from any pixel. There is a famous 'fade to white' that is clearly a 'fade to a sickly green' in the Extended BluRay.

However, perception of the green tint is another issue entirely. It is one thing to take a screenshot and be able to quickly compare back and forth with the Theatrical. When you are watching it on its own you have no reference for the colour white, so your brain adjusts and accepts what it is seeing. Once you get into the movie, it doesn't seem particularly noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

From that AICN snippet; does that mean that PJ knows and approved of the tint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I can confirm that the green tint as shown on videos and screenshot comparisons is 100% accurate.

If you take a screenshot of the Fellowship Extended Bluray, and a screenshot of the Theatrical Bluray, and then compare them, there is a very clear green tint. It is undeniable since you can simply open them in photoshop and take a RGB value from any pixel. There is a famous 'fade to white' that is clearly a 'fade to a sickly green' in the Extended BluRay.

However, perception of the green tint is another issue entirely. It is one thing to take a screenshot and be able to quickly compare back and forth with the Theatrical. When you are watching it on its own you have no reference for the colour white, so your brain adjusts and accepts what it is seeing. Once you get into the movie, it doesn't seem particularly noticeable.

To be honest, I quite like it. I may be (probably am) reading too much into it but I take the green tint as a visual allusion to the innocent and naive nature of the first film. That sounds awful. What I mean is that the first film started out as all happy and nice, and parties and beer, and strolling through the beautiful countryside (Thankfully without a "Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo" but still) but, as the films go on, and the peril gets greater and the war larger we turn to a kind of steel blue sheen at helms deep to the golden tinge on ROTK. I mean, as I said, I'm probably reading waaaaaay to much into it, I'm no Cristopher Doyle but he does seem to be using colour to represent tone.

Well, that's my (overpriced) 2cents worth anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jaykhunter wrote: »
    From that AICN snippet; does that mean that PJ knows and approved of the tint?
    No, he is talking about the fact that they regraded parts of the film for the new master. It's very unlkely the green tint is intentional. That's just not how colour timing works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

To be honest, I quite like it. I may be (probably am) reading too much into it but I take the green tint as a visual allusion to the innocent and naive nature of the first film. That sounds awful. What I mean is that the first film started out as all happy and nice, and parties and beer, and strolling through the beautiful countryside (Thankfully without a "Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo" but still) but, as the films go on, and the peril gets greater and the war larger we turn to a kind of steel blue sheen at helms deep to the golden tinge on ROTK. I mean, as I said, I'm probably reading waaaaaay to much into it, I'm no Cristopher Doyle but he does seem to be using colour to represent tone.

Well, that's my (overpriced) 2cents worth anyway

I don't think so, because the green tint and contrast adjustments give Fellowship Extended a darker, more ominous appearance than before. Whatever about if it gradually built up to that - but it doesnt make much sense to have a darker tone right from the very beginning.

• Advertisement

Im not a photography buff im just a big fan of the films watching the film on a big screen, the youtube video makes the new version look like the matrix , maybe its just an unfair way of comparing the two versions but all im saying is when im watching it in a real life situation , the colour looks all good from where im sitting and at the end of the day thats all anybody cares about.
    There was a group of us watching it and we talked about the youtube video etc , and all of us found the colour to suit it well, we didnt think dark or ominous at all.

What about whites though - snow, mountains, etc. Are they all green tinged? Could it have been a lazy digital grade where only a green filter was applied throughout?

I saw a screen capture and the FOTR title caption looked to be green tinged as opposed to white.. Any cinephiles with high end AV setup on here who can confirm or deny this about the UK\IRL release?

Here is a comparison of the Title cards..

lotrleseebdcomparison.jpg

There seems to be some reports of the UK version being less green\dark than the US one, cant confirm personally though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The FOTR title card has a definite green tint..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The UK and US transfers are the same.

I haven't bought the box set, but I was in a mate's house a few nights ago and had a quick look at his and I could definitely see a green tint in FOTR. Although it's probably better described as a kind of underexposed, cyan tint. The Shire scenes aren't the best example of it; it's far more noticeable in the snow scenes prior to Moria and in dark scenes generally. Mind you, my mate thought I was crazy. Nevertheless, this is an issue, though slight enough that it won't bother most people. The picture looked excellent otherwise.

The UK and US transfers are the same.

I haven't bought the box set, but I was in a mate's house a few nights ago and had a quick look at his and I could definitely see a green tint in FOTR. Although it's probably better described as a kind of underexposed, cyan tint. The Shire scenes aren't the best example of it; it's far more noticeable in the snow scenes prior to Moria and in dark scenes generally. Mind you, my mate thought I was crazy. Nevertheless, this is an issue, though slight enough that it won't bother most people. The picture looked excellent otherwise.
    maybe theres my problem so , i have only watched the first half of fellowship and thought it looked excellent, i will report back when i watch the second half with misty mountains and mines.

Just watched second half of fellowship .Ya the snow scenes on the way up the misty mountains is the only noticeable spot for me, the snow seemed a bit dull colourwise , besides from that no complaints i like the transfer of the fellowship anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Professor Tolkien would have liked a slightly green tint :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If anyone is still looking for it, it's available at under €50 delivered from Amazon.

Buy it here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Basq wrote: »
    If anyone is still looking for it, it's available at under €50 delivered from Amazon.

Buy it here!

I ordered it from them last week and was expecting it sometime this week but got a e-mail from them stating that it was undeliverable due to my address. Checked my address I had given them and there was nothing wrong with it so just going to go down the HMV route as want it for this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

krudler wrote: »

Those arent both bluray are they?

Why would there be so much of a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

krudler wrote: »
    Jesus that's awful. All Gandalf needs is a trenchcoat and some shades

Looks like the person doing the grade just picked a green filter and did the whole film with it..

Advertisement