Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a YN460 II flash with nikon

• 07-03-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am relatively new to photography,

I recently bought a YN460 II flash, due to budget restrictions, for my nikon D90, after reading some good reviews.

However, while trying to use it mounted on my camera, it does not appear to be fully working.

I set the flash to manual mode, and have the camera set to aperture priority. The camera takes the photo , the flash does go off, but the shutter speed is as if no flash is connected.

Is there a setting in the camera I should be using, or what should I be doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Sounds like it's working as it should. The shutter speed has no impact on the flash exposure, as long as it's no faster than the sync speed on the body. Nikon body so the sync speed is probably 1/250, if you ensure that that it never gets faster than that then you shouldn't have any problems. The problem with using aperture priority of course is that your shutter speed could vary according to the conditions, which you don't want.

If you're shooting with the flash in manual mode then you really want the body in manual as well. Set the shutter speed to sync speed or slower, and set your aperture appropriately. Then select your manual flash power to result in a proper flash exposure.

I'm guessing here it doesn't do any sort of TTL exposure ? Does it have an auto mode ? That might be the next best option if you're trying to shoot at any sort of pace. If you're not then experiment with the flash power and chimp the results until you've got a well exposed shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I had a Yn 460 and now a 560. Also using a d90. Best to stick to manual mode, make sure you don't go above 1/200, highest sync for the D90. You only have to worry about aperture really. Keeping your ISO low as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Just so you know, that flash will only work in manual mode - not TTL mode. So you will have to change the flash power manually each time, which can be a pain, depending on what you are doing.

I have 3 of those flashes that I use for off camera use. Great, cheap little flash but I would never use it on my camera, I keep that spot for a proper nikon flash.

I've used mine on the camera a few times, works fine. I always shoot in manual mode so it's no probs there. You don't have to keep adjusting power, you can have it set at 1/2 power most of the time and adjust your aperture only.

Who leaves their flash on cam anyway? The whole idea is to get it off cam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭schlaps

Thanks for all the replies, Its very much appreciated

Have been playing with it the last 2 nights, and although modifying the flash power and using the camera in manual mode is a little annoyed, the results have been quite good, for the price i paid for it.

• Advertisement

It couldn't be more simple though really. You shouldn't need to keep adjusting the camera power. If it's too bright, either move the flash further back, or narrow your aperture. The opposite if it's not bright enough. That's if you really find changing the power level a pain. As for manual mode on cam, well, I use that mode 99% of the time, so it's no issue to me. Everyone should get used to Manual mode IMO.

Advertisement