Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartphone Modding for Noobs - Advice Needed

• 07-03-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 over the weekend. Great phone, bit buggy here and there and lags now and again, but overall it's super smartphone.
    As i am new to the mod thing, what exactly are the following terms and what is the most common way to go with this.

1. Root the phone
    2. Captivate
    3. How to update to Android 2.2 Froyo (Windows 7 won't run Samsung Kies)
    4. Flash or Changing ROM's (Darky's etc)
    5. Backup the phone
    6. Program to stop lagging

I tried to check out some stuff on youtube and other websites, but there is so much to read.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

1. Root the phone - Roots the phone allowing for access to the linux kernel as well as other things on the OS, basically lifts a lot of restrictions. Allows the removal of unwanted manufacturer/Provider apps, allows more customisation of the device, allows you to run root only apps. Z4Root works well on the Galaxy S.
    2. Captivate - The captivate is just a variant of the Galaxy S as far as I'm aware.
    3. How to update to Android 2.2 Froyo (Windows 7 won't run Samsung Kies) - Google ODIN, you may be able to use that although last time I looked it was still very technical.
    4. Flash or Changing ROM's (Darky's etc) - This allows you to replace the standard ROM on the device, basically different versions of the Android OS can be placed on the device because Android is open source and can be built, manipulated and supplied by anyone with the skills.
    5. Backup the phone - does what it says on the tin, many apps allow you to do this I believe.
    6. Program to stop lagging - I use OCLF one click lag fix, but be aware that you cant have this on the device if your upgrading to 2.2 or it will cause issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Thanks for that.

So the first thing i should attempt is update to 2.2 Froyo and then a root and then the lagfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Hi darren, check out this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192851

Noobs welcome!

You can go straight to Darkys 9.3.
    It will root and install clockworkmod , which makes all future updates simple.

Advertisement