Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staking trees advice

Options
  • 07-03-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i have ordered 30 bareroot trees for my garden from a nursery
    my local garden centre is selling stakes (4ft) at e1.95 plus e1 for the ties. this will work out at almost 90 euro...are there any ways that would work out cheaper

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how tall are the trees you ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

they are all between 4 and 5 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Get the stakes from a builders suppliers. Try large hardware stores for the ties, or else improvise (use tights or rubber tubes from a bicycle wheel)

thanks a million redser!!!

just phoned local hardware and got 5 ft stakes for 1.70, and he is going to throw in 'some' ties!

would never have thought of looking in hardware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Mad isn't it. It's all marketing. Recently had to buy a load of rubble sacks. Went to B&Q. In the gardening section they were called something like 'sturdy garden tidy sacks'. In the building materials section they were simply called 'rubble sacks' and cost less than half the price :-)

• Advertisement

thats gas! must try 'thinking outside the box' more often!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

i have ordered 30 bareroot trees for my garden from a nursery
    my local garden centre is selling stakes (4ft) at e1.95 plus e1 for the ties. this will work out at almost 90 euro...are there any ways that would work out cheaper

thanks
    What sort of trees did you get? Fruit trees?

a mix of the following...birch, mountain ash, field maple, californian maple and red oak. can't wait to get planting!

Why no fruit trees? They all flower and they'll feed ya in 3/4 years, they lose their leaves being the only downside if it's a wind blocker/shader in winter your after.

Think about it anyway.

i have a huge garden both front and back, i am trying to do things bit by bit.....so these trees are going to sowed in the front garden. money is tight so i want to get a bit done in the front garden, and an area concreted out back, this year

an orchard (among many, many, many, other things) is part of my 5 (!)year plan

• Advertisement

i have a huge garden both front and back, i am trying to do things bit by bit.....so these trees are going to sowed in the front garden. money is tight so i want to get a bit done in the front garden, and an area concreted out back, this year

an orchard (among many, many, many, other things) is part of my 5 (!)year plan
    May I suggest you just get 3 apple trees so and you'll have the ball rolling :). Make sure you get a crab apple as a pollinator and keep the names of everything you get.

And make sure whatever you get flowers at the same time. There's actually a bit into fruit trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If you haven't done the deal officially with the hardware place...

try your local farm supplies shop..

They are Glanbia here, not sure what they might be called where you are.

4ft stakes are only about €1 as far as I can remember I think you can get ties too. It's been a while since I've got any.

Might be worth checking out though. :)

thanks foxinsox...got ties and stakes for 1.70 each

Advertisement