Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Club Questionnaire Closed

Options
  • 07-03-2011 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056198056

This is the thread that was closed on us, with no explanation, despite interest from other users, and no offensive posts.

It is logical that Permabear's abuse of his/her moderating powers should first be addressed. I would appreciate this happening before the next step, which is of course to re-open this thread.

If this is the first time Permabear's conduct of censorship and unprofessionalism has been questioned, I would recommend a firm warning. If it is not his/her first such abuse of power, it seems to be in the interests of users at Boards.ie to permanently revoke his membership.

Thank you for your time,

TheHatter

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well before I address the various issues in your post please answer this question for me - does your questionnaire form the basis of a psychology or sociology project? Or is it some other subject completely? That's just to satisfy my own curiosity btw, it doesn't really matter what the subject is, the post would have been closed anyway.

So, to address your various points:
    TheHatter wrote: »
    This is the thread that was closed on us, with no explanation, despite interest from other users, and no offensive posts.

In the same way that past performance is not a guarantee of the future performance of your investments, interest from other posters is not a guarantee that a thread will remain open, offensive posts or not. In this case your post was closed either, or both, of the following reasons:

- Someone looking to utilise Boards and its members to carry out a survey so that they can complete their college work. We do not allow this.
    - The Humanities forum is not the place for the discussion of works of fiction. That said, quizzing people without offering your own opinions on the subject does not constitute a discussion anyway, which is another reason to close the thread. As stated in the part of the forum charter dealing with starting new threads:
    Give your own opinion on the subject, and be willing to debate it.
    It is logical that Permabear's abuse of his/her moderating powers should first be addressed.

Bad Permabear! Happy now?

At no stage did Permabear abuse his mod powers, he simply took the same action that every other mod on the site would have if they saw that post on their forum.
    I would appreciate this happening before the next step, which is of course to re-open this thread.

Well I've already chastised Permabear for you, I trust that this meets with your approval? Of course the next step is to re-open the thread. No, wait, it isn't, you nearly had me fooled there.
    If this is the first time Permabear's conduct of censorship and unprofessionalism has been questioned, I would recommend a firm warning.

Now you see this is where things get a bit tricky. Mods aren't paid, they're all volunteers, so if they act inappropriately is it being unprofessional? maybe you should start a thread in Humanities and ask peoples' opinions? But thank you for your recommendation, if it's found that mods can act unprofessionally at least we'll know what to do next time.
    If it is not his/her first such abuse of power, it seems to be in the interests of users at Boards.ie to permanently revoke his membership.

Ah now, that's a bit strong, isn't it? Surely a more appropriate step would just be to de-mod him? Or maybe make him mod an unpopular forum for a while? You could suggest which one, you'll find the whole list at the top of the screen. But the other problem we have is that the members seem to like him, so would it really be in their interests to ban him from Boards? It's a tricky one this, I think I'll go and make a nice cup of tea and have a think about it.
    Thank you for your time,

TheHatter

You're very welcome.

Zaph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 TheHatter

You have problems.

Advertisement