Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a single window and cost

• 07-03-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I'm currently planning to renovate our bedroom. It currently has an old aluminium double glazed window. The gas is gone in the unit so its full of condensation. Also it only has a top sash so in case of emergencies it is not it is not very useful.

Want to replace it with a uPVC casement window. Approx dimensions 190cm*120cm. Got a quote so far of €655 of supply (U value of 1.1 on glass and 1.3 on window). Looking for another €450 on top to install to 1st fix only i.e. no plastering of window reveals as will be dry lining the room so will get done by plasterer then.

Can anybody recommend a company which would be reasonable to deal with when just wanting to replace a single window. I realise that not all companies would be interested in this kind of business but would have thought that in the current climate would be a little more reasonable in terms of fitting costs.

Based in South Dublin city. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The hardest part of this job is the refinishing (i.e., the plastering) so I would try to find a plasterer and his mate who would be prepared to do the whole thing in one go, in one day. The price for the window looks a little high, but it depends on the spec I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

The hardest part of this job is the refinishing (i.e., the plastering) so I would try to find a plasterer and his mate who would be prepared to do the whole thing in one go, in one day. The price for the window looks a little high, but it depends on the spec I suppose.

Yeah i was a bit shocked alright with the price of the window, its only white PVC after all. But the quote for the installation i nearly dropped the phone when he rang me with the prices. He told me it wouldn't be economically viable to do it for less :eek:. I mean putting the window in would take a couple of hours at most

Am going to dry line the room myself and get a plasterer in after. Not sure would be a good idea to get them to put in the window as well but hadn't thought about it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, there's not actually that much to putting in a window, especially if you are just replacing a window frame that was there before. You put it in there and screw it to the wall, then seal it as well as possible. It would be easy enoug for an experienced person who was on-site anyway, and there was suitable access from the outside of course.

If you can avoid splitting up the job between different people, you make the whole thing more economical and profitable for the tradesman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

I would expect to pay between 350 to 450 for the window and 100 to 250 for for fitting ,from a reasonable contractor .

Advertisement