Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden seat for garden

Options
  • 07-03-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

am totally clueless when it comes to this type of thing so excuse my ignorance.

my father in law had a huge tree in his garden which had to be cut down for safety reasons

the stump is still in the ground, but all the rest was chopped up for firewood.

i noticed a really unusual shaped piece yesterday which i would love to leave in the garden for a little seat for the kids. just wondering will it rot away though, or is there something i could 'seal' it with?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If it was an Oak or variety of Cedar, it could last for many years. Since the tree was in a garden though, chances are it's probably not a durable timber.
    Any idea what kind of tree it was?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

if its big enough to sit on it'll probably reshoot

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

i just have a feeling its ash.
    i can ask my father in law

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Ash will rot away fairly quickly, if it doesn't sprout again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah if its one of the more 'furniturey' timbrs they dont take too well to being left in the ground, You might be better set to ask in the horticulture Forum about promoting Regrowth.

I have Seen a fair few stumps resprout in me time and I've always wondered if it would be possible to promote some kind of 'Shrubbery' to grow on one side from the shoots, normally dont get the time to muck about with it tho, what with Loggin n'all

• Advertisement

that's a pity cos its a beautiful shape

thanks for the replies

If it is ash and it shoots again - how about weaving some of the shoots together to make a structure? Ash is not as supple as Willow but it's more supple then some woods.
    Any chance of a photo of the stump?

sorry guys i think i misled ye.....
    the piece i have is not still in the ground...its one of the pieces that was chopped off...it wouldnt sprout, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

No if it's chopped off it won't sprout. If you can make a seat out of it for the kids I wouldn't bother to try and seal it with anything. First off its still wet and it will last for years without anything protecting it.

i'm delighted now!

thanks antiquo

• Advertisement

Main thing is to keep it off the ground. If it's contact with the ground it will rot from there up. If you can find something (a few dense bricks, for example) to stick under it, then you'll have it for a good while.
    It can be interesting to watch timber outdoors, as it changes over the years.

Advertisement