Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Learner Bike?

• 07-03-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a bike. I've always loved them and only didn't get one as soon as i could because the opportunity to learn to drive a car came up so i took that. I've had my full driving licence for two and a half years, and have a theory test pass cert for a bike licence (not sure if thats expired? over two years old?)

I'm looking at a yamaha drag star xvs 250...but i don't know if i i'm legally allowed to drive that instead of a 125. I'm confused between the laws of it has to be below 125, or below a certain KW of power, and im not sure where 250cc fits into all that? I can get insurance quotes but im not sure if thats under the preconception that the 250 is restricted to 125?

Anyone know what the story with this is? Is a 250 learner legal??

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

An Ai learner permit allows you to ride a bike up to 125cc, for any cc over that you will need an A learner permit.
    The most important thing is that the bike is restricted to max 33bhp or 25kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

So i can legally have an A permit? Does a 250cc vxs darg star fall into a category of below 25KW do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭thebullkf

So i can legally have an A permit? Does a 250cc vxs darg star fall into a category of below 25KW do you know?

what year is it?

http://www.bikez.com/search/index.php

see above, ;)

650cc is Learner Legal. ;)

to be honest, get plenty of lessons, plenty of practice .

dragsters are low to the ground so tight cornering is difficult if you're only starting out.

i assume you're a lady?.... what age bracket?

personally i'd recommend a more traditional style bike for my first.
    i started on a Varedero XL 125cc.... great riding position,easy filtering, small engine though.
    Then i bought Honda Shadow {similar to dragster} 600cc
    then a honda Deauville, now a Fazer.
    I'm only relatively new getting back in the saddle.

Whatever you decide- stay safe,confident and enjoy yourself,.
    best of luck.

let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Them drag stars are grand yokes. Some thump outta the 650. Plenty of people start on cruisers

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

as was said before most of the cruiser style bikes are learner legal,

they might have big engines but there heavy so there power/weight ratio is low.

most 250 cc bikes are learner legal, and even if the bike you fancied wasn't legal to begin you can always restrict it, but its generally only the sportier bikes that need to worry about that.

i would agree that the dragstars seating position might not be too learner friendly, but if your looking at that style of bike you probably aren't going to be riding around like your seats on fire, zipping around corners and filtering like a mad yoke.

either way enjoy shopping around for the bike, and if you can have someone who knows about bike maintenance come with you could really save you alot of hassle, or if the bike is advertised online you could post it up here or on other bike sites asking people opinion on that to look out for when viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

sprry for robbing your thread kingisabell :D

is there a list available of bike's that fall into the A provisional liscence class??
    im wanting to get a bike for the summer but a 125 would just not be able for the roads id be on,i was looking at the dragstar 650's honda shadow's and deauvalle's,is there anything else along those line's or even lower cc,im looking in the upto 2000euro range.

also anyone know the KW output of an 1100 goldwing? im guessing 75-90bhp and a weight of 2.5 tonnes so they would fall into that catagory??:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Just a word of warning lads if ye plan to get insured with Quinn, one of my friends on a prov. got a 600cc Shadow and even tho it is learner legal under the power to weight ratio rule, Quinn still required a restriction cert and would not insure him otherwise, even sending them the power/weight rule and calculations to prove its learner legal would still not sway them:mad:

so just watch out for that if your lookin to get insured by Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

how can you get insured then? if its within the power to weight ratio it should be ok right?quinn are unusual to get insured with from experience they will insure you on something one day and not the next. so do you have to get a dyno reading for them or something?

anyone know if the cbr/nsr 250's can be gotten on the learner liscence???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

dbmauser wrote: »
    how can you get insured then? if its within the power to weight ratio it should be ok right?quinn are unusual to get insured with from experience they will insure you on something one day and not the next. so do you have to get a dyno reading for them or something?

anyone know if the cbr/nsr 250's can be gotten on the learner liscence???

Nope. I'd imagine you'd be wasting your time and money getting it dyno'd. If Quinn say it needs to be restricted then ya havta get it restricted if you wanna get insurance off them, no matter what evidence you produce to them to prove it doesnt need to be restricted!

Well thats Quinn for ya, their a shower of dopes there anyway.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd say you would have a better chance calling down to one of the Quinn offices instead of calling them, god only know whats response you get from the call center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

haha no i'm not a girl, i'm a guy with a screen name following him from his hazey days!!

That bike site linked above was a great help in understanding the KW-cc-hp problem! Cheers for that and all the replies folks!! Judging on that website, an 02 model would fit perfectly as its rated higher than an 03 model and should work out cheaper maybe?

I cant see myself riding any other sort of bike to be honest. always loved cruisers since my auld fella had one back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

fair play, i found picking my actual bike was harder then getting restrictionand licence stuff sorted.

when i was getting my bike cb400sf when called Quinn to change insurance from my 125 the guy asked was it restricted and i said it wasn't and i asked if it didn't fit into the power to weight ratio guideline, he told me to get a letter from a mechanic saying it was within the limits and that would cover me... now it was a good bit over the limit and i needed my bike restricted but at that particular time with that agent on the phone a mechanics letter was all i needed but it being Quinn they could probably have changed there mind later that day and suspended my insurance.

Happy Bike hunting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

I'm thinking about getting a bike. I've always loved them and only didn't get one as soon as i could because the opportunity to learn to drive a car came up so i took that. I've had my full driving licence for two and a half years, and have a theory test pass cert for a bike licence (not sure if thats expired? over two years old?)

I'm looking at a yamaha drag star xvs 250...but i don't know if i i'm legally allowed to drive that instead of a 125. I'm confused between the laws of it has to be below 125, or below a certain KW of power, and im not sure where 250cc fits into all that? I can get insurance quotes but im not sure if thats under the preconception that the 250 is restricted to 125?

Anyone know what the story with this is? Is a 250 learner legal??

thanks in advance!

I don't want to bare bads news but you will also need to do the IBT 16 training course before your allowed on the road. If you had got the permit before December you would have been OK but why do the theory test and not send off for the permit:confused:.
    You have to get your permit first then book in to do the training as it's the date on your first licence and not the theory test date that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

that ibt training i did it.... its only to get ur full i got pulled twice and they never ask me about ibt and was talkin to the garda and they said it just to get ur full

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jarmstrong001

dbmauser wrote: »
    is there a list available of bike's that fall into the A provisional liscence class??
    This is a link to a list but I would double check it
    http://www.bat-motorcycles.co.uk/33bhp.asp
    I know the Honda Bros400 is borderline based on the dry weight

Also this list (in post #5)
    http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/28761-33bhp-motorcycles/

See also http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/25kw-license-facts/

kevin-46 wrote: »
    that ibt training i did it.... its only to get ur full i got pulled twice and they never ask me about ibt and was talkin to the garda and they said it just to get ur full

That's incorrect and the Garda should know better. IBT is before you go on the road with a new learner permit. I should know I do the courses. If you did IBT you should have been told all this. Anyone and I mean anyone who gets a first time learner permit dated after December 6th last year has to do it (No exceptions). Once the course is completed you will get a cert to keep with the permit to prove it has been done. To get your full licence you have to take your test and pass it. No compulsory lessons needed for that but some pre-test work would be recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Hindmarsh

Roadskill wrote: »
    That's incorrect and the Garda should know better. IBT is before you go on the road with a new learner permit. I should know I do the courses. If you did IBT you should have been told all this. Anyone and I mean anyone who gets a first time learner permit dated after December 6th last year has to do it (No exceptions). Once the course is completed you will get a cert to keep with the permit to prove it has been done. To get your full licence you have to take your test and pass it. No compulsory lessons needed for that but some pre-test work would be recommended.

ive had a guy quote me €500 for the I.B.T. is there a set price or do they vary? i'm just starting out so excuse my ignorance but do you know what the rough price is to get insured is? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hindmarsh wrote: »
    ive had a guy quote me €500 for the I.B.T. is there a set price or do they vary? i'm just starting out so excuse my ignorance but do you know what the rough price is to get insured is? Thanks

No such thing, Sex, age, location, type of licence, bike size, experience etc are all factored in.

Hindmarsh wrote: »

IBT's vary in price depending on who you go to, on your own or paired up, midweek or weekends etc.
    Go to someone who is highly recommended and good at what they do as cheapest is not always best. Best of luck.

Advertisement