Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Ride-on lawnmower from US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

See lawnmower sticky at the top of the page it's in there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foghlu77

Did you get anywhere with this? I'd be interested in doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

so you're saving 30% on the list price, but have to pay 21% vat, so a saving of 9% before shipping. so you're saving 90-110 before shipping?

you'd have to ocean freight that, it'll take ages to arrive, not withstanding the cost. I've no idea what the cost would be but it'd have to be close to the 90-110 you've saved by importing.

you've no come back if anything goes wrong and the minor point of sending money over seas when you could put a few quid into the pocket of a local. Haggle with them by all means and get yourself a better price.

it would seem with the 21% vat and shipping you're running close to the local price anyway, without any aftersales or accessible point of return/repair in case of problems.

just my 2c.

edit: oh, and as is often the case the shipping company who pay the vat on your behalf will add a handling fee for dealing with customs and charge you 15 odd quid for the service. Another nibble on your margin there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

EL_Loco wrote: »
    so you're saving 30% on the list price, but have to pay 21% vat, so a saving of 9% before shipping. so you're saving 90-110 before shipping?

you'd have to ocean freight that, it'll take ages to arrive, not withstanding the cost. I've no idea what the cost would be but it'd have to be close to the 90-110 you've saved by importing.

you've no come back if anything goes wrong and the minor point of sending money over seas when you could put a few quid into the pocket of a local. Haggle with them by all means and get yourself a better price.

it would seem with the 21% vat and shipping you're running close to the local price anyway, without any aftersales or accessible point of return/repair in case of problems.

just my 2c.

edit: oh, and as is often the case the shipping company who pay the vat on your behalf will add a handling fee for dealing with customs and charge you 15 odd quid for the service. Another nibble on your margin there. :(

He said the price was 30%, not 30% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Gavin wrote: »
    He said the price was 30%, not 30% off.

so he did. well, erm, yes, some typing practice on my part so ;) carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I would be interested also, if you wanted to a put a volume deal together and reduce shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

VAT will be charged on the total price including shipping.
    Its not fair but thats how they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mileyplumb

yes i am also looking into it . the prices anvertised in the states are all plus tax but you are exporting it so you do not have to pay tax . You should buy from lowes or Sears they generly give the best deals and free delivery to youre freight forwarder ,
    Most of the big name brands are made by a company called american yard products (AYP)they make Husqvarna ,craftsman and ariens ,and if you look at craftsman and husqvarna switches and pedals etc they are the same ,
    craftsman 42 inch cut 21hp 1399.99$ on sale today in sears delivered
    craftsman 46 inch cut 21hp 1499.99$
    craftsman 46 inch cut 24hp v twin 1599.99$
    to ship it to ireland costs 450$ you will pay that to youre freight forwarder in the us
    you wil then have to pay vat @ 21% on the price of the mower and the shiping cost to the irish tax man
    you will also have to pay 50 euro to a custums agent and 30 euro to the irish freight handler
    Pro s the dollar is low at the moment
    cons no guarantee , you have to wait , and no grass box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mileyplumb

yes i am also looking into it . the prices anvertised in the states are all plus tax but you are exporting it so you do not have to pay tax . You should buy from lowes or Sears they generly give the best deals and free delivery to youre freight forwarder ,
    Most of the big name brands are made by a company called american yard products (AYP)they make Husqvarna ,craftsman and ariens ,and if you look at craftsman and husqvarna switches and pedals etc they are the same ,
    craftsman 42 inch cut 21hp 1399.99$ on sale today in sears delivered
    craftsman 46 inch cut 21hp 1499.99$
    craftsman 46 inch cut 24hp v twin 1599.99$
    to ship it to ireland costs 450$ you will pay that to youre freight forwarder in the us
    you wil then have to pay vat @ 21% on the price of the mower and the shiping cost to the irish tax man
    you will also have to pay 50 euro to a custums agent and 30 euro to the irish freight handler
    Pro s the dollar is low at the moment
    cons no guarantee , you have to wait , and no grass box

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

I looked at this too (the craftsman LT 2000 42" 19.5HP is currently retailing on some sites for less than $1,000!!) but as it's my first ride on I'm going to go local. Seems like a massive difference though...also, it takes five to six weeks to deliver, and I'd need a silage tractor at that stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

has anybody imported a Ride on recently? sorry for digging up an old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

forget it unless its through a business...the vat payable on one mower plus shipping will cost you more than a mower here...sorry to rain on the parade!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

fox0512 wrote: »
    forget it unless its through a business...the vat payable on one mower plus shipping will cost you more than a mower here...sorry to rain on the parade!

what if you had a family member living over there?

what if you had a family member living over there?

Dosent really help much unless its something that would fit in a relatively small box and marked at 50$ value ish to avoid high import tax then u have shipping fees ... no hiding a ride on :).. Im not an expert on this but i cant see any easy way

sorry yes, if it was a gift from a family member...would they except that here and the shipping alone would be nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CountryExile

Hi all,
    Sorry to bring this back up, moving back to Ireland and wondering if worth bringing a ride-on with me as I have to ship a container anyway with all household furniture etc ?
    Cost wise - yes but a big difference in grass dryness and thickness over here that in Ireland. Looking at mulching option so harder on engine (but doesnt have to bag and transport heavy wet grass)

Advertisement